Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Lilium duchartrei:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

It's not real exciting, but here's Minuartia verna:

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I'm lusting after Lilium duchartrei! Please can you tell me: How tall is does it grow? Is it stem-rooting? What part of the world does it call home? And most importantly, where can I buy one?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

According to MacRae: Native to China in NW Yunnan, western Sichuan and SW Gansu Provinces, in forest margins and clearings and on hillsides from 2400-3500 m, in moist to marshy places. Doesn't say if it's "stem-rooting", but the bulbs produce offsets on horizontal underground stems (I guess that probably is what you meant). Height: 1.5 to 5' tall, though mine are always at the low end of that range. Scented.
I got a couple last year from Holes; others previously from Beaver Creek.

The one I've always lusted after is L. nepalense... must finally get organized to actually get some.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Wonderful pics as usualy, Lori. I'm so glad you decided to join DG.

One of my L. duchartrei plants bloomed this year for the first time. They were tiny bulblets originally. Surprisingly tenacious, considering their reputation and their present environment in my garden. It that gets quite hot there this time of the season.
June,you might find a source here: http://www.lilies.org/sources.html#canada
or peruse your many Canadian Lily Societies' web pages.
http://www.orls.ca/
http://www.manitobalilies.ca/Articles/PlantingMarts.htm
http://www.ssls.tussana.com/
http://www.prairielily.ca/cplsmainpage.html

I have L. nepalense, but here's the let down: it's variety concolor, and it is all yellow. Nepalense is an extremely variable species. It took me years to figure the identity of this lily. Lo and behold, it was sold to me as nepalense, and that really is what it is. Lilium nepalense var. concolor

Rick

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, thank you, Rick!
Speaking of letdowns, however slight, I have L. cernuum (done blooming now) and it's lovely... but it's white... dang!

Your L. nepalense is very lovely in its own right.. such a beautiful pale yellow. So many varieties of so many plants!

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Thank you for the lily info, now I can start shopping!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Another lily, montane if not alpine... Lilium leichtlinii var. maximowiczii... native to mountains of Japan in moist places among tall grasses, and also found in Korea, Manchuria, and Vladivostok.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

An interesting campanula, Campanula thyrsoides... one of my last of its kind though... dang biennials! I really shouldn't complain though, as I've gotten about 4 years out of them, given that I often get a few that wait longer to bloom... gotta collect seeds this year though!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

From the mountainous regions of Armenia (re. Nicholls), Symphyandra zanzegura... these things are flower machines! (Of course, they self-seed madly too, but that's to be expected.)

My Lilium leichtlinii can be seen here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5348681

Regarding Campanula thyrsoides, you may remember from oh so long ago that I commented on how slow seedlings were growing for a friend of mine. Well, this year I have seedlings of my own, and they are not slow growing at all. I wonder if what my friend had was indeed that species? I was going to grow on a couple of hers and see, but alas, they were snatched up at our sale before I got to them. (Actually I kinda temporarily forgot.) Anyway, without being able to compare them side by side, they looked the same as mine.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Very nice, Rick... according to McRae, you've got what is/used to be considered the "type" (though var. maximowiczii should be considered the type based on genetic study, apparently)... interesting, if merely academic, LOL!

Here's a little cutie... Erigeron pumilis var. condensata, blooming first year from seed.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

There's nobody out there but yet I persist...

Campanula cochlearifolia 'Elizabeth Oliver':

What a cutie! Does this species spread underground? I think I had a brain fart when I was in Madison, Wisconsin, a week ago visiting some cool nurseries with other Rock Garden society friends http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/885769/ . One of the places had a C. cochlearifolia cultivar that had small white flowers that looked like little white pearls at first glance. I almost picked it up, but I had seemed to remember the species spreading. Was I just thinking of punctata?

P.S. We're all out here, soakin' up everything you give us Alta, believe me!
I was kinda excited that I would have Iris reichenbachii seed to share, but another pot fell on the stem and broke the pod off. This was about two weeks ago, and the pod seemed to be nearing maturity at the time (or it was stressed out). The pod has opened on its own accord and seed looks good and solid, but I can't say if it is really viable, due to the circumstances. This is the same one I posted pics of before: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5047646
I'd be happy to share if anyone would like to try some.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I've only had 'Elizabeth Oliver' for a couple of years now - no invasiveness noted as yet. C. cochlearifolia certainly is a spreader though, but I'd guess this cultivar would probably be less so than the straight species (based on the general theory/observation that cultivars with fancier foliage or flowers tend to be a little less vigorous).

Yes, I do remember you mentioning the friend's odd experience with C. thyrsoides... or whatever it turns out to be?

I planted an Iris reichenbachii last year... didn't blooms this year, though, unfortunately.

Here's Allium sikkimense:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

This is pretty underwhelming at the moment (or maybe at best, LOL!) though it is sort of interesting to see a miniature lysimachia...
Lysimachia japonica 'Minutissima':

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Allium senescens ssp. montanum var. glaucum... it seems white is not the usual colour for this....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Sedum populifolium:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Campanula incurva... another dang biennial, grrr! Next year, I'll be down to one of these, so will have to collect and start seeds again...

Thanks for posting these pics Lori. I really enjoy them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Ahh, thank you! You've given me reason to go on, LOL!

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Hello everyone.
Japanese woodland plant Anemonopsis macrophylla is blooming.
The nodding flower is similar to aquilegia.

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Flower

Thumbnail by goldenfish

Very nice flowers and plant, goldenfish. Another Minnesota member of NARGS grows them in her woods, but hers are lavender.

I futsed with this photo way too long, but I still couldn't get the colors right. Foliage is supposed to be powder blue. Open flowers are more orange, but the bud color correct. The inflorescence has a bicolor effect, with the open flowers being magenta orange, and th buds being the matte magenta.

I suppose this could be a July flower as it began flowering July 15, but it is still going very strong. This pic was taken 5 days ago.

Agastache rupestris

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

OMG! I only now saw this thread! Some great alpines still going strong in Calgary!

For me, its mostly gentians and alliums open at the moment. here is a new one I grew from seed...first bloom...Campanula caespitosa.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Studio-shot of Allium flavum var. tauricum

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and this tiny Acis autumnalis..used to be a Leucojum.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula thrysoides

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Geranium sanguineum 'Elke' has been blooming steady since late June!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Rhodiola kirilowii...grown from seed last year...I am rather impressed with this one although it is probbaly better suited to the front of the border.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Symphandra hoffmanii

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and finally Silene alpestre..grown from seed this year so blooming a bit out of season.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Nice plants, everyone!
Silene saxifraga, planted this spring, has been blooming sparsely for quite a while now:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

From the Organ Mountains of New Mexico, and into Mexico, Agastache pringlei... This year, my plants are shadows of their former selves, so I probably need to remember to start some more, come spring.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Sedum anacampseros:

EDIT: Actually, this looks a lot like June's plant from the July thread... it may actually be Sedum pluricaule...?

This message was edited Aug 29, 2008 11:53 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

These plants really bloom their hearts out... since the beginning of July, and into mid-September last year! Gilia aggregata var. macrosiphon, a plant of montane and alpine areas of New Mexico and Arizona:

EDIT: Now Ipomopsis macrosiphon...

This message was edited Aug 27, 2008 6:54 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

It really deserves a close-up! From early July:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Carlina acaulis 'Bronze':

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.