August alpines

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

A very cute little plant that's in constant bloom... Erigeron 'Chameleon' - the flowers bloom yellow, then lighten to white, and then turn to pink:

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Campanula x carpatica 'Peter Nix':

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Very nice plants everyone and interesting talk about lilies. I have nepalense and leitchlinii and love both but I have had duchartrei on my wants list for a while..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

A woodlander, Cyclamen purpurascens. This particular plant had a rough winter (died back to the ground, when it is normally evergreen) but I was glad to see it pull through; it's half the size, though, that it was last year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

A silver-leaved variety of same:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

An oddly late bloom on Tetraneuris grandiflora:

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I don't have sikkimense, but I do have cyaneum blooming at the moment.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and my purpurascens is open too!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

finally a studio-shot of campanula X haylodgensis 'Plena'...a shade darker than Elizabeth Oliver

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Okay, this little allium has been blooming for a while, starting very shortly after A. sikkimense. My records claim it's Allium cyaneum, grown from seed in 2005... but does it seem a little bit "off" to you? The stamens are not so long and exerted as seems usual for A. cyaneum, and the inflorescence is not pendant, but is instead upright. (Compare to Todd's photo, above.) It's about 8" tall, with very thin fine leaves - a very delicate plant. The inflorescences are just shy of an inch across. Thoughts?

Edit: Adding description.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2008 7:54 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.