caterpillars!! eek!

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

hi - i have a problem with all my brassica type plants like stocks, nasturtiums etc, i know they'll prob be cabbage whites, but can anyone confirm this? they're black and white mottled with black heads and are very hungry!

i'm in the uk by the way.

thanks,

lil
http://www.angelfire.com/grrl/lilith/index.html

HAYWARDS HEATH, Suss, United Kingdom

Hallo, Lilith! I think the cabbage white caterpillar stage is more green and black and slightly furry. This I know as I too have seen my magnificent nasurtiums disappear in about 4 days after lots of cabbage white butterflies being around, and not much else butterfly-wise. My butterfly book purchased from Oxfam yesterday confirms this... It's like locusts in the garden!! No answers available here: silently in my heart I've let them do it, hundreds of them, and hope for a good show of butterflies next year - that breed elsewhere, please please please. I'll search for a solution now I know it's not just moi.

(Zone 6a)

there is a product on the market called bacillus thuringensis (BT) made from sick worms.
some of the brand names are Thuricide, & Dipel. there are others.
when the worms eat a plant sprayed with BT they stop eating right away.
we found this to be the best product for worms.
we have also used insecticidal soap.

Oh no,that's no good'I'm sorry to hear this' My worst pest, is still the grasshopper,worse than last year' I haven't purchased any BT,a little leary of it'

Lyndeborough, NH

Sis

Bt in the can or bottle is about the same level as dishsoap
as a toxin. if you know about LD 50 factors, Bt has rating of 14,500.

Bt is recognised by organic growers and certfiers.

Lilith

Bt will take care of any of them..

My cabbage worm is green.

Byron

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.