Calling all Tropickids......Where are you?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Gee, it's been awfully quiet on this forum for awhile now......where is everyone?????

What is keeping you so busy? We miss you!

My Hedychium (white ginger) is still in bloom and just intoxicating....wish I could send you this wonderful fragrance!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the picture of the Hedychium (white ginger).

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Been having phone line problems and am now having monitor problems. Will have to get a new one soon cause this one has blanked out on me twice tonite already. Grrrr...

Otherwise am busy working and gardening. I planted a couple tropicals-Blue Hibiscus and Blue Potato Bush. The potato bush is taking off and the hib is trying to decide whether to go into shock or not. lol. I will take pics when I get a chance.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm here just been working and gardening too : ) Pep hope you get a good deal on a new monitor.

Thumbnail by kimarj
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry to hear about your puter problems, Pep. Hope you can get it fixed OK.

Cool picture Kim! How's your nanners?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha, I'm here too, thought you all might be sick and tired of my endless inane chatter...

Love white ginger, mine is blooming too - what a gorgeous smell it is. Do your blooms last more than a couple of days? Mine don't.

Hi Pep and Kim!

I have been watching the papaya thread with interest, great going you guys!

Shari, where are you?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We could never tire of you Jen! You are a delight! I always enjoy you're chatting with us. Could talk to you endlessly!

My white ginger just last one day, but they rebloom pretty quickly. I pull the flowers out and bring them in. They make whereever they are smell soooooo good!

I hope I didn't overwater my poor little papaya babies. Time will tell!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I've been lurking a lot but not much of interest to contribute. The heat is so unbearable...day after day after day of over 100. The water and electric bills are eating us alive...not to mention gasoline. Surgery on the 12th and am worrying that my manufactured Eden will be no longer as I am will be unable to care for it for several months. Guess I can always start over.

Always looking for your names in the postings. You all mean the world to me.

Christi

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I understand Christi! Same here with the utility bills! It is supposed to be 100 or 101 today and tomorrow.....thru Sun. I think.

Do take care of yourself! You are far more important. The plants can be replaced;
You can't. I know that it is heartbreaking. Will keep you in our prayers!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jeanne, your bananas and baby sago are loving the weather. The EE's leaves are scorched as is much of the garden. Looks like a torch has been through it.

Christi

We are getting ready to hit the hundreds starting this weekend. It feels like we hit it today but supposedly we only hit high 80s. I don't believe that for a second. lol

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We were officially 104 at the airport. I think it was worse here. The forecast is awful. Tomorrow temperature/humidity index...110. Cannot pour the water on fast enough.

Christi

I have a recipe I am gonna share as soon as I find my book. I thought I brought it in here but I guess not. lol

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Good. I love tested recipes. We call them "real people" recipes when we find a church, sorority, or any kind of club cookbook.

You may have heard of it. Hibiscus tea. I will try to do it tomorrow.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

No, I haven't heard of it. Can't wait to see it, Pep!

Christi, the banana trees and sagos definately don't mind the heat. How tall have your banana trees gotten? Did you put them in the ground?

The parent sago I got all of the pups off of is putting out new leaves. I am so thrilled!

It has definately been hot here today. The A/C just can't keep up with it in the afternoon.

Dallas, TX

LouC, I was hoping it was a recipe for growing bigger and greener tropicals with less W A T E R !!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well wishfull thinking. Jerry

Thumbnail by texasbigleaves

Ok, here it is.

Karkade- Iced Hibiscus Drink

1 cup hib petals (karkade)
5 cups water
Sugar to taste

Put the petals in a pan with the water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool, then filter into a jug and chill, covered with plastic wrap. Serve chilled. The drink is quite tart. Let everyone add surgar to taste.

Note: The drink can also be served hot like tea.

Serves 4 or 5

Have never tried it but found it interesting.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Tropickids!
Sounds like everyone is doing great!!
Thought I'd chime in before I leave for work,this Saturday morning,took pics few days back,just haven't had time to post them,this overtime,driving me crazy!!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

one more

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

maybe another

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Last one

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Ok,this is it!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Hello all TK's!!! Hibiscus tea is delisious.. yum : )
Don beautiful hibs : )
Jeanne the bananas are going crazy!!!!!

Thumbnail by kimarj
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jeanne, the bananas you gave to me are about 8-9 feet tall now. The ones I had come back from last year are a good 15 feet with a huge trunk. Too bad we have freezes that kill them back every winter. The sago has one new frond. I put everything in the ground always. It will be a pain when it is time to put things away. I have three gingers blooming. One is the shampoo ginger that bloomed such a beautiful red last year. This one hasn't turned red yet.

Don, so glad to see you again. You must be one of the few left in the USA that is working overtime. I know far too many that have been laid off.

Kim, I saw your "yard art" in the other forum. It looks great. What is the bottom of the blue bottle?

Christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Tropic kid checking in.

My first Gloriosa lilly.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful. Is that Pooter on the sidewalk?

Thanks Christi thats just the bottom... I 'm looking for something cool to glue on it : )
Awesome Gloriosa lilies! I did get one bloom from mines.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jerry, I will be having spine surgery on Aug. 12th and will out of commission for awhile. You wouldn't want to take over another jungle garden would you? hahahaha

Well, it sounded like a good idea anyway.

Christi

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Aloha Y'all!

Great pics everyone! Can you use any hibiscus for the tea?

So glad all of the bananas are doing well. I know now that the more mature banana plants ship best, so will give the smaller ones more time to grow before uprooting them! Christi benefited from Randy taking hers to her. They didn't have to get shipped. Thank you Randy!

It was really pretty here today. It was plenty hot, but there was a nice breeze as well. Hope everyone had a great day!

It just said hibiscus so I am assuming whatever hib you want to use will work.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The tropic kids seem really busy these days.

Here's a colorful shot I saw out the living room window yesterday. I just opened the window and snapped this photo of Tequila Sunrise Hibiscus against the banana leafs underside which is red.

Only gonna get busier here for awhile. lol.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I was busy batton down the hatches today, making sure the drainage ditches are cleared of debris- took down all the dangly things and umbrellas...good news is we won't have to water tomorrow!

Lucky you!! lol. We are getting ready for our Butterfly Festival at work this weekend and next weekend. Gonna be busy. And we expect there to be a windstorm to mess up all the green/shadehouses we have up. Happens every year. lol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I hear ya...
I'd rather be having a butterfly festival though...

LOL. Not unless you want 5000 or more people a day in your yard...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh my....I had about 40 a couple weeks ago..that was enough!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's my latest light creations.
Florescent light tube coverings $3.45 each. strand of led lights in 2 of them, rope light in the 3rd, with another strand of lights at the top simulating a palm tree look. A color changing globe near the center to simulate a moon like appearance.
Flower and green leaf lights from Ikea and the little globe lights from Big lots.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

close up so you can tell what I'm talking about!

They are about 8 feet tall

This message was edited Aug 5, 2008 7:51 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.