Aspidistra advice, please

Fife, United Kingdom

Hi folks. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the probable cause of the yellowing edge on my aspidistra's leaf. The rest of the plant is in pretty good condition as you can see. I only water it when the soil is pretty dry so I don't think overwatering is the problem and it is in a semi-shaded area, so no direct sunlight either. It looks a bit unsightly and I was wondering whether to remove the entire leaf or, alternatively, trim the yellowed edge off. Is this possible/advisable?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Paul

Thumbnail by pauliewalnuts
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Does your pot have a drainage hole? It looks like one that might not, and not having a drainage hole makes it very easy to overwater even if you're careful.

Fife, United Kingdom

Thanks for answering. The plant is actually in a small, black plant pot with drainage holes. It's hard to see in the photo. I take the pot out of the white ceramic planter when I water to ensure that excess water can be drained off.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 3:40 PM

Bronx, NY

I've noticed that some of my plants, especially the dieffenbachia's, tend to lose leaves when new growth is happening...are any new leaves coming in? I have a big Tropic Snow that gradually loses a leaf everytime a new one is starting. I don't know if you've found this to be the case or if this would be true of an aspidistra. Good luck!

Eileen

Fife, United Kingdom

Yes, there are 3 newer leaves coming in. However, I find it strange that the yellowing edge doesn't seem to be spreading, just becoming a more intense colour. I think I may try to trim the edge off or, if that fails, cut off the whole leaf. Thanks for your input.

Paul

This message was edited Jul 30, 2008 11:54 PM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Paul,

The yellowing leaf looks like the result of the natural aging process. Most evergreen plants keep their leaves for two years and as they draw back some of the nutrients into themselves the yellowing you see begins. I would just let it finish it's life and remove that yellowing leaf when you can not stand looking at it.

Your plant looks very healthy. It has new leaves emerging. They only thing I would advise you to do is remove the old soil every 3-4 years (by washing it off) and reppot it with new good quality soil. I would say you are doing all the right things for your plant.

I no longer have any house plants since I live in torpical Florida>

This message was edited Jul 30, 2008 8:33 PM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Fife, United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I agree Paul, I think it's just a natural aging of the leaf which will probably eventually die off. This is normal.
I love my aspidistras, yours looks very healthy. Gorgeous plant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.