Buddah Belly

Mulberry, FL

I don't know if i'm going to live long enough to see this in its real form lol Its a couple weeks old. I like growing things from seed but I have a long way here

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Neat, what is that your growing them in?

Mulberry, FL

Cat litter man I bought seeds from told me to use this. Had my douts but its working just fine. Have to use the cheap stuff all it is is clay

Huh, seems to be working. Looks great.

Mulberry, FL

They are growing I have them under light 24-7 have a few walking stick seeds too they are coming along. Bought a few candy cane seeds but they never sprouted.

Thumbnail by Danasplants

I would turn the lights off at night.

Mulberry, FL

I have plumeria seeds going here too the lights run 24-7 I keep a good eye not to let them dry out. Since they have been here under the lights they have grown like crazy.

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

OK its been a year and they are growing its not buddah belly I think its going to be black

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

I gave a pot of this to a friend and i don't know what he did to it but his is twice the size of mine and it is black seeds came from Germany you never know what you get but they are growing. I did let them get a little dry I think is why his is twice the size of mine hes got his set up on irragation and I don't

Thumbnail by Danasplants
noonamah, Australia

About 5 days ago I put some Buddah's Belly cuttings in sand. They'd been dipped in cutting compound and I've put a large clear plastic bag over them to keep the humidity in. There's about 8 cuttings so hope to get at least a few plants out of it. Have always had mixed results with bamboo cuttings. Some of the best results were from the most careless treatment. But they did have a good supply of water passing through the sand.

Mulberry, FL

I hope it works for you I have one here thats green gets 50 ft tall and gets pretty big around. Got this from a friend some one dumped a truck load on his property and some of it grew. I watched if for a couple years it is a clumper I took one of the big stalks home cut it up at the joints. Its growing good! in pots not sure were to put it yet. have brought others home with no luck

Mulberry, FL

heres a update on these they show dark green and a dark red I don't know what these are going to be no expert here

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

heres another shot I kept them watered good should proably give them worm poop afraid of burning them

Thumbnail by Danasplants
north coast nsw, Australia

Anyone know what sort of fertilizers bamboo like? I have mine in pots and hard up keeping the water up to them. There neally in the biggest pot i can buy. What do i do now. Plant them out?. Our soils very sandy as we live close to the river/ocean. How would they go. Does bamboo need shade or will it grow in full sun? thanks!

Mulberry, FL

no expert here I have read about it growing in shade but one from another no telling what kind do you have?

noonamah, Australia

There's a bamboo that will grow in just about every situation you can imagine. But growing in full sun and in sand isn't a problem for many of them. If you have the clumping type there's no problem planting them out. If you have the running type then you could be creating problems for yourself in future when they take off.

north coast nsw, Australia

I have black, blue, candy stripped and buddahs belly. Think there clumping but doesn't clumping still spread abit? It just grows so fast i'm not sure how it doesn't spread.

noonamah, Australia

There are a number of types which are "black", I've seen both running and clumping ones. Blue or candy stripped I don't know anything about. There are two "buddhas belly" I know of, both clumping, one under stress grows as buddhas belly but under good conditions grows like ordinary bamboo. The other grows as buddhas belly regardless of conditions.

But clumpers will, as you say, spread. They put out new shoots beside the clump. Runners will put out new shoots up to a few metres away. They become very invasive and are difficult to get rid of. I've had friends who put in a lot of work trying to get rid of them. One friend even got rid of every piece of his running black bamboo because he was sick of its invasiveness.

Down south where you are runners will grow better but you just need to be aware of what sort of problem they could become in future.

noonamah, Australia

Just an update on my Buddha Belly cuttings. Only the main hard wood stem is still growing. All the smaller stems I cut from it have withered. Guess hard wood cuttings are the way to go.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Mulberry, FL

tropic the bamboo I started only the hard wood (main stalk) grew too glad to hear it. Mine is sending off shoots now started it in the spring don't know the name its green and grows in a clump grows 40-50 ft

noonamah, Australia

Dana, the plant I got the cutting from was growing between a brick wall and concrete pavement, not a good position. I took a piece home and cut off the smaller branchlets. Decided to put them in as well. "Nothing ventured nothing gained."

It'll be the Bambusa vulgaris Buddha's Belly which only grows up to about 5 metres (about 16 feet). The original plants were small because of being in the hot sun between the wall and pavement.

I've got quite a few other bamboos, most quite high, but I've no idea of their names. Is your "40-50 ft" one a fast grower?

Mulberry, FL

I got this from a friend farther south from here some one dumped a load of this on his property and some of it rooted on its own. I watched it there for 3 yrs the power company came and cut it back because of the wires. I took a peice should say section home and cut it at the joints it rooted well. It did grow fast there because sandy soil good drainage humid and lots of heat. The seeds I bought off ebay for buddah belly are who knows what they change color one time the bottom of the little clums are dark next time you look there green then next time you look and they have a redish tint go figure

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.