Longwood in July

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Italian water garden, what a splendid shady area on the bridge.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The farther ponds are actually 14' longer than the front as Mr. duPont wanted to allow for shortages of view when standing on the bridge.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

All the water is recycled throughout the entire gardens

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Italian water wall

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

And now just a few more

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The tower and lake. The tower chimes througout the park.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Weeping hemlock

Thumbnail by haighr
Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks - been a while since we've been down. Always love going!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Wisteria, I would have loved to have seen these in bloom as did you folks who went back in May. Perhaps on my next visit!

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

How can you manage to stay away? Of course like me, I seldom visit the sights that are the closest here as well.

Staying away? Makes it more magical when we do go back. We're due to go back next spring. Something to look forward to!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Have you been in the winter, I'll bet it is beautiful then as well.

Christmas is a great, great time to visit as well. Very festive and gorgeous - doesn't usually have snow on the ground, but sometimes. You should try to make it back up for the holidays!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great pics! Makes me want to go back even more.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We were thinking we might do that next year at the holiday. We already have plans for this year.

Oh do go. You'll love it!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us, I like reliving the good time I had on the May trip. And thanks for all the waterlily pictures. I could just see me sitting on that bench for a break and enjoying.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful pictures and a wonderful tour. I haven't been there in several years. The last time we went was for the Winter displays. They have beautiful light displays through out the gardens and all different types of decorated Christmas trees. Out side in the idea garden there was one for bird feeding all the ornaments were some kind of bird food. Like little orange cups filled with seed and garlands of millet, pine cones with peanut butter and seeds. Then they had trees filled with orchids and the poinsettia trees, Oh so wonderful......
Thanks so much for the water garden pictures. It's really been a very long time since I was there in the summer and have seen them, aren't they fantastic! Holly

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Candee, your pictures came out beautifully! It's wonderful to see these magnificent gardens in the Summer time. I absolutely loved your pictures of the water lillies, Siam tulip and vegetable gardens. Yes, those gorgeous purple flowers are Daturas.

In my opinion, you can't just visit Longwood Gardens once. You need to go back at various times to appreciate all the seasonal changes. Plus, there is so much to take in that it's difficult to see everything thoroughly in one day.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hi, everyone. First time on this forum. We love Longwood. When I taught biology, I would bring my students during the fall when we did botany. Kind of a small group, but wanted them to "see" things and not just pics. However, with a group of kids, I really didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked. ( you never know what sort of "accident" could happen, so I just moved them along.) I knew what things I definitely wanted them to see and we kinda zoomed through other areas. Also,when you are on a time schedule, yada, yada, yada.
One year after I stopped teaching, I took my mom once every season. She still talks bout it. Maybe some day I'll get her back there. It is really wheelchair friendly.
I'd like to get there to see the "tree houses" with the GKs.
Jan

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

What a wonderful tour - thank you! One of these days I'll get there - although I'd prefer not to go when it's 95 degrees! In a couple of your posts there's an interesting shrub. You can just see the tall stems behind the Cleome in Post #5317211, then the full plant on the left in Post #5317228 - the coppery red one - any idea what it is?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone.
rcn48 - don't know what it is but perhaps I can take the original photo, zoom it and get it ID'd for you on the id forum.
I can tell you how wheelchair friendly it is as Steve and I rented the scooters, we never would have made it for 12 hours otherwise.
The heat even at 95 was not that bad so long as there was a breeze. We are used to being outside even on the hottest days.
Holly, your description of the holiday decorations sounds quite inviting. Perhaps we will make that our trip in 2009?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Stupendous!!! I can't wait to go back and have a leisurely long closeup look at all the photos.. but I had to post right away with a big THANK YOU for sharing your trip with us!

(Zone 6a)

thanks so much for this photo tour! Its just beautiful! I couldn't stop staring at your excellent shots of the beautiful conservatory!!! The dinner area and the 'indoor' lawn are amazing!

Thankyou so much for sharing these!
Steven

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hey Steven and Jill, glad you took a look. It is a wonderful garden and one with much to offer for all seasons, we will likely be going back.

(Zone 6a)

I hope you take more photos on your next visit aswell!!!

Steven

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Of course I will. I would love to see it at Christmas and of course when the wisteria are in bloom.

(Zone 6a)

the wisteria would be amazing!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Steven,
Yep, I was scheduled to go with other DG'er s back in May, but was unable to make the trip. The wisteria was blooming then and look wonderful.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

hi haighr, I see you made it to Longwood! It looks like you had a beautiful day there. Thanks for sharing your photos :)

(Zone 6a)

aww, that must have been dissapointing :( but hopefully you'll get to see it next spring!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes wind, it was a long time coming, two previous trips cancelled but finally got there.
Steven, I figure that just leaves something to look forward to and now I'll know exactly the time of year to go!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

haighr - the anticipation makes the visit then that much sweeter. Have you ever been to the gardens at Winterthur (just down the road from Longwood)? they also are spectacular. Another duPont residence.

jan

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Not yet Jan, heard of it and read about it, but too much for one weekend. We got there on Friday and did the Chadds Ford Winery and the museum where we met Andrew Wyeth's granddaughter who gave a personalized tour of his works, it was splendid. I hope to go again and perhaps just spend half a day at Longwood and then go to visit Winterthur for an entire Saturday.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

The Brandywine Museum is spectacular. How neat that your tour guide is A. Wyeth's GD!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes we just happened to be in the right place at the right time to meet Victoria. She was quite flamboyount and knew her stuff. She gives tours all over the country apparently. She said when she was 13 she sat down with her grandfather and started listening to all the stories and wrote them down as she went for the next several years. He is quite an extrordinary artist and individual and she does a wonderful job relaying the stories associated with each painting. He is 90 and is still producing two works each year one in spring and one in the fall.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We took a trip up to Longwood earlier this week. I recognize a lot from your photos! Hopefully, I'll be able to upload a bunch of my Longwood pics later on today.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Please do Kubileya, I can't get enough of the place.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Can't wait to see your pics!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Can't wait to see, please bring them on!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.