New spider plant(s)

Seattle, WA

I bought a couple of new plants at a charity auction. One is a pair of tiny spider plants in a four-inch pot. They are very, very close together.

As I understand it, by next year I could have a lobby full of spider plants. :D The little guys already look twice as big as when I brought them home. I expect that I should repot them. Should I separate them at the same time, and by how much?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Anitra,

Unless you want more plants you don't have to seperate them. When I lived in the SF Bay Area I used spider plants as a ground cover. I used to cut off the shoots (babies) so that the leaves would get bigger (and I didn't want that plant all over the beds). The mother plant gets a lot bigger if you curtail its spreading.

Of course most folks like the look of the babies hanging down.

Bronx, NY

I've found that when I pot a spider baby, given some time , there are two plants in the pot that originally had just one. One of my babies now has four separate plants in the pot. Maybe you could put each of the little guys in its own small pot? Just a suggestion. It might get tricky if the root systems are entangled, you would need to tease them apart very carefully. I have about 6 spiders and they seem to be fairly hardy plants, at least mine are.

Eileen

Pella, IA

Let your spider plant grow until it has grandbabies from ceiling to floor----amazing !!

Greenacres, WA

I HAD A SPIDER PLANT AND A MOUSE ATE IT GRRRRRRRRRRR

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I have had trouble with my cat eating it and in summer outside I have had squirrels eat my spiderplant. Nothing seems to care to eat anything else just the spiderplants. They are supposed to be toxic but I guess they are not that toxic.

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Spider plants are non-toxic to cats, don't know about squirrels. Here's a list of cat friendly plants http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/881153/ and toxic plants http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/897323/

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks zhinu

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

You're welcome!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.