Toads

New Boston, NH

Does anyone know if their is a dealer that sells toads,I would love to find some as this year my old residents aren't around and we can use some.
Peter

Southeastern, CT(Zone 6a)

I don't know of any, but what a great idea. Hope you find some.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, mine does! He sells pond plants,equipt & toads! last time I went there he had 8 toads in plastic bags for a buyer, they were huge! - and so was the price tag! lol! I don't think he ships out though, it's store pick-up here on Long Island! ☺

This message was edited Jul 17, 2008 8:08 PM

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

What an interesting idea - selling toads!
I'm sure that a couple of kids could get rich quick doing that. Come to think of it, I haven't seen too many toads around here this year, either. Hmmmmm. Makes one ponder.

You can buy anything in NY! Someone near my dentists' office a couple of miles away has a Peacock in their yard! They sound real cool, like in the old Tarzan movies when you heard the jungle sounds! ... wonder what they feed him...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I was at a Hotel in Savannah Ga.
They had Peacocks, after the initial charm of seeing them in the inner court, the constant crying drove the guests nuts.They never stop.
Be carefull what you wish for I guess.

Gamekeeper, while at the pet shop I asked about the toads, he said they sometimes get them in but he actually recommends that tadpoles be used instead. When grown they tend to stay near the pond and not venture too far whereas a full grown toad introduced to a pond has no 'ties' to it. ☺

New Boston, NH

Found a place on another forum Carolina Biological have ordered 6 for a test run.
Peter

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Good luck!

Craryville, NY

Gamekeeper: Be careful. One: tadpoles sold in petshops are almost always bullfrogs, and if you know bullfrogs, they will eat anything, even each other. Two: The toads you are getting from Caroline Biological, what species? They may not be able to withstand your area's winters, I don't know if you went into that with them. We have LOTS of toads at my house. Where are you located? Maybe we could get you a couple. Also, make sure you're doing toads and not frogs unless the frogs will do the trick for you. AND, as a matter of note for everyone: in NYS it is illegal for any person to hold a native wild animal for more than 24 hours. I know, I am being a stick in the mud, but it is one of the reasons we don't see so many toads, or turtles, or....you get the idea...anymore. Remember - your toads are land animals, they don't necessarily like to swim in the pond...:-))

I always release mine after 23...

(Zone 4a)

Ok this isn't a toad but this is what we found one day on our air conditioner unit - kinda cute!

Thumbnail by DawnLL
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm likken this thread.
Morrigan has valuable info.

The other day I was down by the wetlands and I turned around and saw a turtle. It jumped, I jumped. I did not get a good look but I swear if you measured it, it would be a 2 feet wide! It had to been a snapper. It scared the liquid out of me.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

We don't have any toads this year, but we have these guys. This big one was at our campsite. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

This one was in my small fish pond.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I love the "singing" of toads - much nicer than frogs croaking . . .

I don't have a pond but I like toads, my neighbor has a pond, so I listen to his toads and let him do the work... ☺

Cool turtle!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I'll bet he's cooler than we are today!

Craryville, NY

Hi again: DawnLL: where exactly are you? That does look like a toad, I'd have to look up what kind.
Bev: Nice snapper! I once had to move one female over to the side of the road she was headed in to lay her eggs...gotta wonder why the turts always lay their eggs so that the youngun's have to cross the road to get back home...is that tough love, or WHAT? I would love to offer a forum on wildlife and coping with wildlife...if anyone would be interested, let me know and most of all, let me know HOW! :-))

Toads are usually bumpier, right? (And uglier.)

Craryville, NY

Yes, Victor, toads are usually "bumpier", their feet are not as webbed if at all, and they tend to hide out in moist land environments. Our big Toadie lives in a trench behind some Weigelia which is covered in leaves. I discovered him/her when I went to clear the leaves out, found the trench, and almost leaned on Toadie, he was so well camo'd! Now we have lots of teeny-Toadies running around in the lawns, so, needless to say, we are letting the grass grow a little long, giving them a chance to get a bit bigger.

Toads are slow.

That's cool. I've only seen frogs in/near my pond.

Craryville, NY

schickenlady: do you mean that Toads show lower test scores consistently, than any other amphibian? :-))
Victor: Can you get photos? I can try to i.D. them fer ya!

I meant slower than frogs. Mentally also.

None so far this year, but here's one from the past.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Craryville, NY

Looks like a young bullfrog...you know, like the one that ate Cincinatti?

We have one this year, so far unseen, that makes a very strange, higher-pitched sound. Sometimes goes for hours.

Sounds like a car alarm! ☺

Quite a bit less irritating though.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I think toads are actually quite cute! Which is weird for me, cause I'm not usually a big fan of animals that aren't fuzzy or at least feathered, lol. Here is one of mine. I don't mind having them around, but they are slow to get out of the way when you walk near them and I am just going to throw up if I end up stepping on one one day.

They say they are an excellent method of slug control, but I haven't found that to be true in my garden. Plenty of toads in my yard this year.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 5:15 PM

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Victor - Is the sound you're hearing coming from the pond or the trees? The tree frogs make a lot of racket! They're great at camouflage too.

Great toad pic, Noreaster.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

That is a good one!!!

It's usually right outside the window - between the window and the pond, but not in the pond.

See if this is close to what you hear.
This is the eastern gray treefrog

http://allaboutfrogs.org/files/sounds/graycricket.wav

The ones I hear are much louder than this.

Craryville, NY

Noreaster: that looks like my Toadie's cousin! or brother...that sound byte, Nanegoat, was GREAT! Where did you download from?

That does sound similar, Nance. Thanks!

Hi Morrigan - the site was allaboutfrogs.org - lots of froggie sound bytes there.

Welcome Victor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.