here she is again.
bonnie

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Very Pretty Bonnie.
She looks like a happy camper :)

Kim

(Zone 1)

Bonnie, that is such a pretty plant! I always wonder where they get the names for some of them but Playful Porpoise blooms sorta look the way dolphins/porpoise's arch and jump out of the water when they are playing!

We need more pic's of this one in Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/173302/ .. hint hint

Lilburn, GA

Butter Blues

Thumbnail by Spider07
Lilburn, GA

Northwood's Ruffled Freeble

Thumbnail by Spider07
Lilburn, GA

Salmon Sunset

Thumbnail by Spider07
Lilburn, GA

So... these are the only ones that are flowering at the moment. It will take a long time to have more flowering plants as most have very small flower buds. I hope they will be ready to go to the August thread.

Buttler Blues is a bit more lavender than blue. I tried many times but all the photos came back with blue hint on the petals.

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Jan have a blast with your sister!! My cousin and I had such a nice time last week when she was here!

Lin your Glox is beautiful, I'm going to be checking out Wal Mart on my next trip to the city!!

Bonnie Playful Porpoise is one of my favorites. Both that gorgeous bloom and the beautiful leaves with the red veining.

Susan hang in there with the seeds! The first ones I did had only four sprouts come up out of dozens!!

An old favorite from last summer, Stephanie, she's not looking so hot right now and I'm going to take her apart and put leaves down and start her over I think. I really need to do some research on the life span of Streps??

Off to play with the grandkids and try to get something accomplished at the same time!

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Spider, love that Butter Blues, I have trouble getting my purples and lavenders to show up correctly also!!

~Brenda

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Spider, nice to see your pictures :)
They all are beautiful but Butter Blue really is an eye catcher.
Brenda, I can't believe how many blooms that Stephanie has! Must be a Dibleys *lol* Stunning!

Kim

(Zone 1)

Spider: Gorgeous plants! I Love that one called Northwoods Ruffled Freeble! Pink! I love pink! That is such a pretty bloom!

Oh how I wish I could grow Strep's!

Brenda: That one called Stephanie looks fabulous to me! Wow, so many blooms! Pretty color too!

Hi Ya Miss Kim!

Lilburn, GA

Plantladylin,

why can't you grow streps?

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Hiya Lin.......how are you today? Nice 2 C U!
Did you talk to your husband about coming to Maine? *hint, hint*. Did you tell him you could have free accomodations?
We were on the beach last night and I kicked myself in the butt because a thunderstorm was rolling in and the beach looked so ominous and I had forgotten my camera but I thought of you and everyone who loves storms (like Gail *lol*).

Kim

(Zone 1)

Spider: I have tried and tried ... they just don't like me or my house for some reason! I don't have a lot of patience but maybe one day I will get it right! ^_^

Kim: LOL ... after all of our expenses of this summer I won't be traveling anywhere for awhile! But, oh how I'd love to come to Maine someday! Whoa! I am not the one who loves storms ... that's Gail! Storms scare me! I know what you mean about forgetting the camera! I am forever saying I will take mine with me wherever I go and always forget it! One of our P.O.'s has a really nice (and very tall) Dracaena Marginata Tricolor planted out front and every time I got to that P.O. I kick myself for not having my camera. I tried with my camera phone the last time I was there but it didn't come out at all ... my camera phone does not take very good pic's. One of my neighbors has a huge, beautiful dark pink flowering Bougainvillea and I keep meaning to take a picture of it too .... still haven't done it!

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Long ..... feel free to skip! ^_^

Lin, this one is for you, I feel as you do about the friends and family we have and the ones we find, such as here on DG, I just got this as an e-mail today and it fit so perfectly what you were talking about I had to post it .......

SISTERS

A young wife sat on a sofa on a hot humid day,

drinking iced tea and visiting with her Mother. As

they talked about life, about marriage, about the

responsibilities of life and the obligations of

adulthood, the mother clinked the ice cubes in her

glass thoughtfully and turned a clear, sober glance

upon her daughter

'Don't forget your Sisters,' she advised, swirling

the tea leaves to the bottom of her glass. 'They'll

be more important as you get older. No matter how

much you love your husband, no matter how much you

love the children you may have, you are still going

to need Sisters. Remember to go places with them now

and then; do things with them.'

'Remember that 'Sisters' means ALL the women...

your girlfriends, your daughters, and all your other

women relatives too. 'You'll need other women. Women

always do.'

What a funny piece of advice!' the young woman

thought. Haven't I just gotten married?

Haven't I just joined the couple-world? I'm now a

married woman, for goodness sake! A grownup! Surely

my husband and the family we may start will be all I

need to make my life worthwhile!'

But she listened to her Mother. She kept contact

with her Sisters and made more women friends each

year. As the years tumbled by, one after another,

she gradually came to understand that her Mom really

knew what she was talking about. As time and nature

work their changes and their mysteries upon a woman,

Sisters are the mainstays of her life.

After more than 50 years of living in this world, (well, nearly!!!!)

here is what I've learned:

THIS SAYS IT ALL:

Time passes.

Life happens.

Distance separates.

Children grow up.

Jobs come and go.

Love waxes and wanes.

Men don't do what they're supposed to do.

Hearts break.

Parents die.

Colleagues forget favors.

Careers end.

BUT.........

Sisters are there, no matter how much time and how

many miles are

between you. A girl friend is never farther away

than needing her can reach.

When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you

have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life

will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on,

praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on

your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the

valley's end.

Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk

beside you...Or come in and carry you out.

Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters,

daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers,

Grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended

family, all bless our life!

The world wouldn't be the same without women, and

neither would I. When we began this adventure called

womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or

sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we

would need each other.

Every day, we need each other still. Pass this on

to all the women who help make your life meaningful.

I just did.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2008 10:31 AM

Lilburn, GA

Well Plantladylin,

I think you should persevere. Try them in different rooms, windowsills, until you keep them growing.

I have some leaves that I hope are rooting. I will be able to send you some babies so you can try.

I just love thunderstorms. We had two massive ones yesterday evening.

Lilburn, GA

Hi Bmedel,

that is so lovely.

I don't have any sisters, just a brother. And a son. Will never know what is to have a daughter. Maybe i will have a granddaughter one day. i hope so.:o)

(Zone 1)

Brenda: That brought tears to my eyes. Every word is so very true! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of our "Sister Friends" here on this forum! I have copied it to paste into e-mails for a few other women in my life who are not DG'ers and I am printing it out to be able to find it to read again later!

Spider: You may have a daughter in law and a granddaughter some day! I was never blessed with children so will never experience the joy of grandkids, and I do have 3 biological sisters that I love dearly, but I also have some wonderful "sister friends" here in this garden!

Now ... to say Thank You to a couple of them!

My mailman just left 3 packages at my door. One was a cutting of ornamental oregano that I got in a trade but the other two packages were from Kimskreations and Gessiegail. I am smiling and my heart is singing. Would you look at what I received for no special reason.

From Gail: 5 different Sinningia cuttings (because she has heard me saying I really want to try them), the light fluffy soil to plant them in, more than enough little pots, the wicking material and the capillary matting! Oh, and she even included a zip lok bag of plant food! Amazing ... Gail Thank you so much!

And, Kim sent me 6 of her special hand made dish cloth's (one is missing from the pile because I am already using it!) Kim, these are wonderful - and that is my Honest opinion! I really, really like the texture and feel. What kind of yarn do you knit these with? Really soft but strong too! I know Gail has mentioned using them and how much she loves them. I can tell already that I love them! Thank you, my friend!

This forum is the best on DG. I have heard Kim mention about how it felt like home here and it truly does. So many kind, generous and caring ladies here. I am proud to call you all sister's. You all bring a lot of joy to my life, and not because you send me goodies like this, that is wonderful too, but it is because of the camaraderie we share with our trials and tribulations of growing, collecting, families and just the everyday fun and chatter! I wish you all as many Blessings in your lives as I have received in mine!

Now, I'm going out to play! I have cuttings waiting to be potted up! ^_^ And, then I will get to use my new dish cloth's afterwards because I have a few dishes in the sink!

Lin

oh, talking so much I almost forgot to add the picture! (I had to crop out the dirty floor)

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Don't cha just love "great mail days"? I know when I see my mail lady pull into the drive that it's a good mail day as she only does that when she has a package that won't fit in the box.

It really is like home here. I had tears in my eyes when I read Brenda's sister poem. It is SO true. Everyone here has touched my life in one way or another and I truly feel blessed to have met you all :)

Lin, you are going to have some wonderful new sinningias to play with :) That is just SO awesome! I'm sure sinningias are going to LOVE Florida! I'm SO excited for you! Enjoy your new babies!!
A special day for a very special sista :)

Gail *smiles*......... you are SUCH a thoughtful lady my friend. *hug*

Kim

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Wiping a tear here too over Brendas Poem.Thanks for posting that Brenda...I am going to print that out..so special and true..I also think of all you gals as my sisters,an extended family I would never want to be without for sure...Lin ..love your Gloxinia..great blooms..Sinningias will grow like crazy for you down in florida..they will Love it there! So sweet of gail for sure and Kims washcloths are so cool..such special friends here in the garden : )
Spider your Streps are Lovely..I really Love Northwoods Ruffled Freeble...beautiful to look at and fun to say the name : ) Jannich hope you have fun on your trip..sounds like a great time! Brenda Love that Stephanie..I have that one but no blooms yet..love seeing what I can expect.That is the coolest Spacedust bloom ever!.I have a few ears coming up from your leaves..I get so excited to see that! Bonnie..love playful porpoise..another beauty with a fun name : )..Kim..make sure and post some of your daylilies when they bloom..I have about a dozen that should come into bloom within this next week..I always look so forward to them. and would love to see pics of yours!!.Well Ladies..Hope You All Have a Great Afternoon!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh my!!! I had to go buy a dishwasher this morning and one look at the thread and I am crying! Brenda...........not only am I going to copy and paste but have it framed to remind me that some of the greatest blessings in life come from our 'sista' friends! Thank you..............

Kim, sorry I missed out on the storm (LOL) and Lin will love her new dish cloths.....bet they don't stay a pretty blue for long (if she uses clorox like I do)....but they are the best cloths.

Love your streps Brenda and Spider. Those Northwoods are pretty. Belisle's Violet House carries a lot of them..............

Now, Lin, make those sinningias root and grow 'cause' I have to know that it is still ok to keep propagating to feed this obsession I have!

Off to take a nap..........have a great day........by the way, Kim, call me please (I can't call her with my phone company) tomorrow or this weekend about the Chantix. I got it from the doctor today but it says I only have a week to stop smoking........you said two weeks??????????

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

You all, it's so wonderful to get on here and "feel" all of this love this afternoon. I have two sisters and no brothers, but that's OK. And I have all girls and love it. Beautiful pictures ladies.
Laura

(Zone 1)

Hi Laura, Good to see you popping in! Yep, this is definitely the friendliest forum anywhere! I guess we should include Brothers to the family too since in the past there have been a couple of gents joining in on our fun and camaraderie! WE ARE FAMILY! Cmon' Kim ... sing it with me!

~ ~ ~ I got all my brotha's and sista's with me ~ ~ ~

^_^ hee hee ... I don't know the correct words but I know Kim does! She was singing it on another thread awhile back!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

We are family........get up everybody and SING!

I love our family :)

I know you are all probably pretty sick of seeing this Chirita but I am just so excited about having blooming Chirita and I took the picture too early and well........it was just crying to have it's picture taken again so I gave in.
I may do 1 more picture when ALL the flowers open but I won't post it *lol*

Here is Kitaguni AGAIN because I love it so :)

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Presenting.........Stella

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

OK, I HAVE to show you Stella..........when I say my streps grow slow compared to all of yours.........this is what I mean.

This leaf was stuck this winter and THIS is what she looks like in JULY!!! That's 7 months ladies for 2.......count them......2 leaves. I can't imagine how many of Stella's siblings got trashed because of my MAJOR growing errors this winter but only the strongest survive here. It's survival of the fittest and this 1 Stella made it *lol*

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

This is a seedling from the Gesneriad Society. It's a sinningia and obviously a species. The jury is still out on whether I like this thing or not *lol*

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't know, kinda scary looking don't you think? The flowers are just weird I think.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Nancy, 'm going to start a thread for OT/Daylilies & Other Outdoor Beauties. This way we don't have to fill the gessie thread with pictures that others may not be interested in. Sound Good?

See ya there :)

Kim

(Zone 1)

Oh Kim - I want to see Kitaguni when the flowers are open all the way! My Kitaguni has never bloomed! I bought it about 1 1/2 years ago from Bluebird GH. I think I need to repot it into fresh soil and maybe feed it once in awhile! Oh, yours is so pretty!

Stella is a lovely Strep! I often wondered why some seem to have tons of leaves and some only have one or two!

I LOVE that Sinningia! The shape of the bloom reminds me sorta of the lipstick plant bloom. I think it's pretty! I have two Sinningias growing from my gessie society seeds, but no blooms yet. I sowed mine last October - there weren't many seeds in the packet but the 2 sinn's came up and 2 other little plants that I'm not sure what they are ... very tiny. I hope my Sinn's are like that one in your photo!

Well, I gotta go get my Chicken Casserole out of the oven so we can eat dinner! Y'all have a good evening. Later I will lurk on your other thread for outdoor beauties ... okay, you know I won't just be lurking ... I can't not talk! ^_^

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

wow, everyone here is just so cool.i loved the poem & it is so true.I don't know what i would do without all my sisters. love each & everyone of you. Kim & gail, you to are such sweet ladies.you are a joy to me as all the rest of you are. am i lucky or what?i would love to put my picture of playful porpoise, but i don't know how. can someone tell me.
mrsbonnie

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is funny Gail giving instructions on how to upload a photo to plant files........no I don't think I can...........have to go to plant files and come back and report mrsbonnie!

be back

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Bonnie you are in good hands with Gail..she uploads alot of wonderful pics to plant files..I can upload pics but am a terrible instructor..lol..Kim Stella is Great!..So is that Chirita...Cool an OT thread..see ya there....

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok bonnie.............
Go to plant files
Look for the green writing that says search plant files
Leave everything blank except genera where you type in Sinningia

You are in luck as Playful Porpoise is already entered. Click it and all the information will show up. Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says what you can do and choose upload a photo.

The new entry or just a picture uploaded will be held in pending files on your homepage until administration actually uploads it to the correct page of Sinningia Playful Porpoise. (usually if they aren't busy you will see it on the page in a few hours)

(Zone 1)

Bonnie: Here's the link to Playful Porpoise in PF: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/173302/

Just scroll all the way to the bottom to where it says: Upload an Image of this plant and you will do it the same way you would on the threads. Click on Choose File, find your photo and then click on preview. It will bring up your picture and if you are happy with it, click on submit. As Gail said, it won't be showing in PF right away, depending on how busy Admin. is. And it will tell you on your home page how many photo's you have pending.

edited to say: You can upload more than one photo of the plant if you want to. I have sometimes uploaded 2 or 3 different views. It's great to do one of the entire plant, one close up of the foliage and also a close up of the bloom (s) - really helps when people are trying to identify their plant.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2008 7:31 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh thank you, Lin! I don't even know how to hyperlink yet.............

(Zone 1)

You are welcome!

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

thanks so much, i just uploaded the photo, next i have to learn how to hyperlink.lol

mrsbonnie

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

A few more pics..I just can't resist..lol..1st from an order on market place from our own Gail...Wonderful Plants and Wow..wow..packaging..Arrived in bloom!! Thank You Gail!!The 1st one is
Fernwoods Silhouette..

This message was edited Jul 10, 2008 8:09 PM

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Next..Texas two Step..Love This Bloom!..

Thumbnail by cedarnest

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.