CLOSED: Fairy Garden & Fairy Garden Art Swap!! #3

Plano, TX

no--keep them out your way! just send turtles and toads my way!!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Happy Birthday Bev! Keeping mini things anchored is an excellent idea. I found some outdoors glue at HD. I'm gonna need to do the same thing. I have labs that will bring all my pretties right back to me if they aren't either out of reach or "nailed" down. Have a wonderful day today, sweetie!

Nature walks in Maine and finding fairy houses along the way! AAHHa my kinda walk!I've been walking around my place and have found some natural knot holes at the base of a maple tree and a pad of moss growing right next to it where grass and weeds don't grow. Perfect spot for a fairy scene.

I found an old broken concrete bird bath that will be perfect for a butterfly mineral spa! Got to get some more builder's sand and line the bottom with plastic to hold a tad bit of water. Going to do that today since we cut a watermelon. The viceroy's love rotting fruit!

Joey in Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL it was just a pic I found and stuck a hat on it.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Happy Birthday Bev. Leave to me to be the late one today. Well atleast it isn't noon yet!!

Thank you but no thank you for the squirrels. Just what do you think I have been doing for the a last week? Everyone checked their mail lately? LOL

Bev--love the looks of your area!!

Tinky Winky, take care of the sinus--have one here today but it is thundering and supposedly we are to get rain.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

BJ, our Lowe's has really cute, inexpensive, wrought-iron looking plastic fencing (with little mushrooms in the design) that is very easy to alter if needed. Look in the lower left corner in the berry Bed picture I posted. I bought a couple cases of the stuff I liked it so much.

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, yea... I see that... will have to do something like that.. good idea.

Okay, I'm back!! Had to "duck" out (sorry BJ) for a minute and do some minor repairs from laughing so hard!! Insert: turning red!!!! You should do that to an old lady--ha!! Just wait til Jaye get hold of us--she will have us all in the corner for our behavioral problems. Atleast we will be in good company.

Jojo, unpacked one of the boxes of goodies I had purchased while on my trip. Will post later but you and I need to collaborate on what to do with this one. Just too perfect!!
Okay dear ones, will let you in later!!!!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Marion, Thanks for the B'day wishes and comments on my future toad garden area. I've just started transplanting most of the herbs and the berries will go in this fall or spring. Some of the existing plants will be transplanted to different areas of the yard, so everything is looking a little sad and/or small right now.

Are you having squirrel troubles, too?!

Okay backed up a little and caught post I had missed due to my laughing. Deborah, I had forgotten about the watermelon--know where mine are going now. I have worked really hard to get "flutterbys" here and I want to keep them. What color labs?

Debra, the fairy houses--how neat. Oh to do a walk like that--such fun. Hummm, we have a walk that goes around the head of our lake, I wonder if......................?

I think I might have started it way back when...........! Considered using a steamroller at one point on them. They destroyed my Fruit Cocktail Shrimp plants I had found and was nursing so carefull to get cutting for others. Dug it up, chewed it up and then spit it out!!! Oh those beasties !!!!

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Who, me? No squirrel troubles yet... but they used to eat at the feeder that used to hang from the tree where the fairy garden is now. I moved the feeder, so, I'm sure it's just a matter of time that they come looking for it.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Our squirrels are ruthless, too! Not much you can do about them, or we haven't found anything. Maybe we should just give into them and make a squirrel theme park in the backyard, lol!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I found another toad yesterday while planting herbs! Or maybe it was the same one... need to fashion little name tags for them.

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh My... now another project to think about... sheesh...

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I need to go plant something before it gets to hot and muggy here. Have a good day ladies! And have a piece of cake on me! Just tell them it's Bev's B'day and they should give you one, I'm sure!

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

K, Bev... have a wonderful b'day... will have a slice of cake to celebrate with you.

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Happy birthday, Bev!!

Plano, TX

sundownr-i had wondered one year about my turtles in the yard-was i seeing different ones or the same--so i put numbers on their shells in nail polish--ended up i had four! don't recommend that for toads!!

Oh, I think cute little name badges for the toads would be nice!! Nail polish on the turtles--how clever!! I've never had a turtle but have had gophers--not the furry kinds either. Use find the really big ones and my kids when they were small could ride on their backs!!!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh, Deborah, you just mentioned something I had not yet thought of - labrador retrievers! We have 1 1/2 labs (one is a mix) and they both love to swipe things. Gardening gloves are their favorites. Will need to give that some consideration .....

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

How about little jackets for your toads? You know, like bridesmaids - all the same fabric but they can choose their own style ...... he he!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Got black Labs, Marion. Katie and Kobe who love to chew and swim, in that order. There are several butterfly species that prefer rotting fruit over flower nectar. In my back yard, I try to keep an old bird feeder filled with sand and toss in sliced oranges, plum, and chunks of water melon rind in there. I also pour old hummer sweet water in there when I change out their feeders. It will draw the flies but then that's what the hummers like too. Down around my pond, I buried a bucket to the rim. It's filled with small rocks and sand then I keep it watered. I'll throw in rotting fruit in it too. If you'll build you a puddle like this you'll keep Commas, Mourning Cloaks, Red Admirals, Viceroys and others that prefer fruit, sap and poop over flowers happy and in your yard. Course they like flowers too, but It's these butterflies second choice.

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

speaking of shrimp plants....I know they are more common in the sounth and have been yearning for one and they are not avail here...do any of you live close to aplace that sells them?? I would love one and could send some $$ for it and shipping??

Marion-no dry panties for you then today huh??-JK I just had an image of a lady @ her puter laughing so hard she peed herself is all:) You all are a hoot though!!

Deborah-thanks for the info to get some butters in my yard-have a crap load of bumbles, but no butters:(

You pictures it about right, Tinky Wnky. BTW, I will check out the shrimp plants for you. Any particular color??

Deborah, my son has a chocolate puppie--his 2nd one. Love 'em to death. He named him Bob Wallace after one of my dad's bird dogs--ions ago at that!!! Youngest DG calls him Wallet! Most likely will end up being Wallet!!

I have areas I can put the fruit away from the house so no problem. I just missed my butterflies from the other house. Had oodles and suddenly realized --none here!! That's why I have parsley everywhere--knew they loved that!! Now I can enjoy the few I have but definitley want to encourage more of them. You mentioned something about hummers and flies? Explain.

What colors do they com in??? I will see if I can find the info on PF.... I have an old swingset in the backyard, so I can try to put some fruit on the sled and see if that works...that would be awesome if it did!!

Marion-either the one that has different colors of pinks and yellows in it, variegated flower colors of some sort or red?? Is that broad enough to be helpful??

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds like fruit cocktail to me... yes, I want a fruit cocktail shrimp plant too.. I have the yellow and red... and truly love them.. too bad the squirrels ate Marion's fruit cocktail.

That will do Tinky, I will see what I can find. BJ, I am still looking for some more Fruit cocktails and if I find them, this time I will just get one for you and Jaye and send direct. Not a chance I'll let the beasties have another chance at them. I still get angry!!!!! I was so excited about them Oh, I just 'membered, I took one a a gift to my BF in G'ville. I'll have to check on how her's is doing. All may not be lost yet.

Well have had an invite for Mexican tonight. Only catch DD and I will have to travel to Bainbridge--oh, HD is one side of the restuarant and Wally world on the other. Oh not such a bad invite after all!!! Wahoo, chance to look for more goodies at new stores that I don't usually shop.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Marion. use what little sun you do have to encourage sun-bathing butterflies. What's the name of the butterflies you see in your yard? Oh, about the flies, LOL, hummers main meal are soft-bodied insects, like flies, mosquitoes, aphids, etc.

Fairy, the sled should generate heat which they love!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, Audrey, I'm here! LOL I need more ideas....can't get into the swap right now though....I have so much going on already.

I heard there was a pic of a gnome/fairy house made out of a yogurt container? Anyone have that pic?

That's me, and it's not finished yet! I'll try to finish it early this week, but my Sweetie is coming over tomorrow, so I don't know! And I've still got to finish this darned quilt block!
Welcome! Hang in here with us, you'll have loads of fun! We're all a little nutty!

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome MGH... nice to meet you... sit, put your feet up, and chat a while...

Is this the friend you were telling us about, Audrey?

Ok, Audrey, I'll try to be patient. LOL

Hi bj! Aren't you the one with the great fairy garden on your property? I think I saw a pic of it....it has a spa or something? LOL I love it!!

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks... "GREAT????" well, not yet... still being built... but I hope it will be someday.

NOPE... I don't have a spa... that's a lake you see in the pic... I do have the "Farriott Resort and Hotel"... but no spa.. but that's a good idea... let me think on that a bit.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2008 3:13 PM

Joey in Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

Little fairy facials!! You'll haver them in droves BJ, I 've heard fairies are quite vain LOL

Yes, BJ, This is my new friend! I'm trying to post a slide show with some pocs of my Castle in progress, but I can't find it!

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

I hear the same thing... and they do like those manicures and pedicures... might have to put a salon along side the spa... and a gym... and a health food store... anything to cater to the elite fairies ...

Yes, GREAT! I think what you have so far is amazing! I love the log and all the brick work you have so far. Yes, now I remember, it is a lake. I guess I was thinking of spa as in resort, not the bubbly kind. LOL

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

OOps.. Audrey... is it lost in cyber world?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.