Strawbale Gardening: General Discussions - Chapter 23

Dahlonega, GA

today i'll be picking about half bushel ripe tomatoes . will prepare for freezer bags . got scared with that blight and put up green toms til i was sick of them . my plants don't look all that good without the leaves on the bottom , but they are still putting on and have overgrown the wire. i'll spray again today for that blight ,or whatever it was ,but it looks like this stuff really stopped it . wait five days and pick toms again . i sure can't complain about the harvest , that's for sure , but believe me , i'll start spraying on little plants next year , before this mess gets started . all in bales ,of course . sally

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

SALLY!! I have been gone all day but last night I made a promise to write to you and find out where you were and if you were ok. Haven't heard from you in a while. So you decided to pick them green then. Are these the first ones you are letting get ripe? How do they look?

You have to wait 5 days after you spray to harvest huh? Well, at least you got it stopped and sounds like you got a lot of tomatoes out of it. Did you make green tomato relish? Maybe you should try to can up some pie filling with that recipe Russ made his pie out of. I made pie filling out of apples last year but I wasn't that crazy about it. It was a lot of work and it took 2 quarts to make a decent size pie but the apples were soft. I like the apples to stay their shape in apple pie.

Glad to hear from you.

Jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Now Donna, if we could hear from you too. How are you doing over there? Are those fires near you this time? Seems like they have been all around you all summer.

Give us a note and let us know you are ok.

Jeanette

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Jeanette you forgot about Lena! We haven't heard from her in awhile either. Guess it's turning late winter in NZ.

Doug

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yep Doug, you are right! It is winter in NZ but Lena is hitting the books and has a LOT on her plate right now. Don't you Lena?

How are you doin' girl? Have you decided where you are going to move? Is it a boy or girl? Come on give us some news. You haven't hibernated for the winter have you?

Just take a minute to let us know,

Jeanette

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Hi Jeanette, and everyone else.
I just logged on to DG for the first time in aaages to say hi, and there was a message for me! How funny is that.

I have been hibernating a bit. We decided not to move yet, after some unfortunate events. We lost the baby three weeks ago, and I had to stay in hospital for a while to recover because I lost alot of blood. Im getting better now, but am still a bit sad. Time will heal.

My garden is under water at the moment, there has been so much rain lately. The rest of New Zealand is too though so I cant complain too much, just feel sorry for my trees standing in the water. Whole towns and motorways have been flooded out, especially further north where my mum lives.

The first signs of spring are showing, daffodils and magnolias! I planted my first, and probably way too early, trays of tomato seeds yesterday. I usually wait till september, but I need something to do, some baby tomatoes to look after. At least I get to keep my garden here another year, it will be so big!

How is the weather over there? Still getting lots of tomatoes? I cant wait for mine.

I will check in more often from now on,
Lena

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

So sorry for your loss Lena.

Doug

Dahlonega, GA

lena , been there . there aren't words to make it any better for you , just know we all are thinking of you and love you and pray your pain will ease . we all wanted more . many thoughts for you and your family , sally

Dahlonega, GA

jnette ,suz ,russ ,doug , everybody ,i've been building up an area in my back yard where the dirt had washed away and digging out an area 12x16 for footing to build a utility room . all by hand so far .my neighbor , ralph bought a itty bitty bobcat and when he gets it ready , he'll dig out the rest for me. picking blueberries ,putting up squash and tomatoes . btw , ralph told me they slice , green tom , and squash , then micro it each side three min .that precooks it ,then either cornmeal and freeze on trays ,(i put release alum foil in between and stacked four or five layers deep in 9x13 pan to freeze) can wait and cornmeal when you get ready to cook. transfer to freezer bags . don't know how many do it this way but i can tell you , when you cook the slices , all you have to do is brown them . no raw undercooked stuff and they hold their shape in deep fryer. i use buttermilk to dip before cornmeal . just a thought , i learn something every day . i have one of those plastic slicers that has a blade across that i just slide the stuff across ,it's old but works better than great . ajustable thickness . sally

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lena, I am so sorry about the baby. There will be more but none will replace this one.

How is your schooling going? And you aren't moving now so a big garden is planned. How did you like your bamboo stakes last year? Will you use them again?

This is armchair gardening time so that you will not plant your seeds too soon. Like we all do. But your winter isn't very long is it? Seems like you just went into it. And now you are planning your gardens already.

It is in the 90s here, but not bad. It doesn't seem as hot now as when it is in the 90s in June or early July. Now, that is hot. I still do not have ripe tomatoes. A lot of green ones, but they will start to ripen soon.

Take care of yourself, and don't wait so long to let us know how you are.

Jeanette

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Lina; Sorry to hear of your loss. One of our niece's lost a baby a few years ago. It did take her a while to get over that. She had carried the full term, then there was a problem with the cord, it had been wrapped around the baby's neck. Then they had to do an emergency C section, but too late.
But you hang in there. I am sure you will be strong.
Yes that sounds strange to have winter so short. Maybe if we were there, it would probably seem long to us.
We are just not made to set out a winter. We like doing things.
You don't normally get that much rain all at once do you??
All, Spent Monday picking sweet corn. Then we got a few of us together to get it processed. I even invited the Lutheran minister to join in, and he did, So it was just us guys this time. We had a good time and visited and joked around a lot.
I have about half a row left yet. It got too hot for me to pick any more. I guess that will be used up for corn on the cob.
I think I need a bigger freezer. LOL
Sally; that is the same kind of slicer we have . I took the plastic push bar out so there would be room for the ear of corn. I set it on thick slices, and it worked great.
Have to be careful where your fingers are though.
I just took a short break. I have been cleaning up the back yard, I have a lot to do yet so I better get back to work.
Today wasn't all work though We went to the next little town to the south of us and helped a friend celebrate his 70Th. birthday. While we were there one of Barbs cousins stopped in too.We had a good visit. While we were there we just stayed for the senior meals too. Made a morning of it.
Don't anybody get too hot in all this heat. take as many breaks as you need.
Russ

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hey Russ, I think we'll come to your house and spend the winter. That will take care of that big freezer. So you took the corn off the cobs and then do you blanch it, or just right into the freezer?

Seems like a waste to me. Only way to eat corn is right off the cob as soon as you get it off of the plant, 3 to 5 minutes in boiling water. I think I tried every way in the world to freeze corn on the cob but it never came out right. Think that cob is the problem.

Jeanette

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

COME ON DOWN, we got enough corn ( both kinds ) and sweet taders and tomaters. I think we'd have a ball.
We picked some tomatoes this afternoon. Got a good bucket full. There were about a dozen of the Dr. Wyche's yellow. They were all big ones at least 2lb, ers..
I wasn't ready to do any processing yet but I think I will have to. With the hail we had these first ones are not real nice and round. Some would turn up their noses. So I'm not even going to try selling any unless or until they are nice and symmetrical.
I think I may try to make some yellow salsa, although I have only had one pepper so far. I keep looking but that is like watching a pot to see if it is boiling yet, LOL
Better go now I need to check for some cucumbers for supper.
Russ

Dahlonega, GA

russ, i wish i could buy another of those slicers , don't guess they make them anymore. i actually have two but can't find the other , and a friend got this one at a garage sale . i set mine at the thickest also. i made fried cucumbers last night . the cukes were little white ones about five in. long . i'm going to find out what the name is and i didn't have to pre cook them . suz, how is your garden coming , as big as it was , don'tsee how you have time to do anything else ,except process food . jnette , how cool does it get there at night ? sounds like we need to come visit and all of us help you put up a greenhouse for more heat . do you get enough sun?it's 10:30 and past bedtime ,so ,gonna look at one more thread and go to bed . yawn , sally

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Sally; I may have missed out on something, I have never fried cucumbers.
That may be something to try. Do you dip them in a batter, or just saute them in butter or what??
Mom was from German back ground, and so was my father. So there was very little variation in cooking. I picked up most of my cooking ability from mom. But having traveled to other countries. All at government expense. I managed to become a little more adventuresome with spices as well as mixing different veggies and meats as well. Haven't done much southern recipes. I do have a sister in law that is West Virginia through and through. Little brother did fatten up. So it had to agree with him. LOL
We have visited them. a few times. Though he has now passed away and she lives in NC. We are looking forward to go see her again before we get too old and can't pull the starter rope on our walkers. ha ha
I do hope we can save up enough to make the trip again. Of course this time we would have to go by way of Wake Forest. Right Kent??
Russ

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sally if I had sun in here I would put up a greenhouse myself. I have too many mountains sand trees around me to get sun. Our night time temps are in the mid to low 50s. Today it was 90+. So, with temps like that you can't expect to get a real big crop of anything.

I was thinking the same thing Russ, What are fried cucumbers Sally?

Jeanette

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I never heard of fried cukes before either. Have been eating a lot of cucumber sandwiches tho. I only buy Light Rye Bread at Safeway, and that makes for really good sandwiches with slices of cukes and a little seasoning. Have a lot of corn now all white or yellow and white kernels on same ear, don't remember the variety right now.

Lena so sorry about your loss of baby. Enjoy your new garden, that will help.

Russ I only planted burpless Oriental Express, they are so good. I have taken quite a few to Senior Center, also tomatoes, which everyone seems to enjoy.

It is late must get to bed

Donna

Raeford, NC

Lena, Sorry about your loss.I lost a baby years ago, put it in the Lord's hands and he will help you get through.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sally, Sally, Sally everybody wants to know about the fried cucumbers!! Where are you?

Jeanette

Dahlonega, GA

be back in 30 min . after dh gets off to work. lol sally

Dahlonega, GA

o.k. i'm back . cukes are fried the same as squash . slice long ways about 1/4 inch thick .if you don't have buttermilk ,you can use v-8 ,or tomato juice . salt and pepper the juice . dip the slices , and dredge in flour(you can eliminate that step if you want , but it makes a nicer coating) ,redip and dredge in YELLOW corn meal MIX . coat well and drop in hot oil . i use peanut oil . drain well and blot with paper towels to remove excess oil . this same thing is used for sguash and green tomatoes ,except you precook the tom and squash 3 min on each side in microwave . then all you have to do is brown them . the coating will be uniform and makes a pretty dish without the coating all ragged and torn up . i like them next day for snack .you can micro carrot slices zucch, and most any veggie the same way . momma did this in restaurant and people came in and bought them for sides in sandwich baskets instead of french fries . hope you like . sally

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

oh gosh yes fried cukes are to die for. I like em better than okra.

marshville,, NC(Zone 8a)

Lena, my deepest sympathies on your loss...I lost my 10 year old son years ago...life will get better..... with all of your talents in nourishing your garden, you're bound to have a wonderful family someday...

Foggy

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Lena, dear-

We've all missed hearing from you. I'm so very sorry for your loss. There are no words . . . just please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. So much disappointment, too, after anticipating the move, etc.

Please keep in touch, and let us know how you're doing. My garden continues to astound me! The hay side is like a JUNGLE! The only things that are doing well on the straw side are my Sugar Baby Watermelons and some small tomatoes, but I went out and got a gallon of fish emulsion today- maybe that'll help. I'm sure that the straw side needs a LOT more fertilizing than the hay side.

I'll post some new pictures soon- am trying to find someone with a video camera I can borrow to make a presentation to teach bale growing to my friend's 4H-ers, etc.

Namaste- Suz

Thumbnail by SuzanSkylark
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

MY tomatoes are doing just fine. I've used Mighty Plant just twice, early on...

These in this photo are Long Keepers. They don't get very large but they will keep in the root cellar for 3 months so I'll have fresh tomatoes almost to Christmas.

Thumbnail by darius

Thankyou all for your kind words. And Im very sorry to hear of your own loss Foggy. Time does heal, and so does gardening! Im trying to see the positive, at least I get to have a big garden again this summer. And I still have plenty of time to start a family, I turn 24 next week, so its not over yet! And now I have the chance to do some post-graduate study next year. I had been thinking about it quite seriously until baby came along and changed my plans.

Winter is not over yet. We could still get frosts till september/october. The long cold wet spring has started though. Its quite normal to get alot of rain this time of year. Then in summer everything dies from the draught. Last spring was so gentle I could have started my tomatoes earlier. So this year im taking the gamble.

How much of your season is left?

Lena

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Lena, I think we all have varied seasons. I might be good into October if I'm lucky and my tomatoes aren't even ripe yet. I take that back, I had one little Sun Sugar today. And it could have waited another day or 2.

But, because our spring was so long and cold we couldn't get things planted so it is an even shorter season than normal. Hopefully next year will be better.

Jeanette

Jeanette: We had the longest warmest autumn ever. Only yesterday I finally threw away the last bowlfull of little green tomatoes from my pantry. Some ripened and some started rotting. I got one more good one yesterday, in August! That doesnt happen often. I hope your tomatoes ripen soon. Which varieties are you growing?

Lena

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Lena; It is a gamble for here, but I think I'm good untill October. I took a chance and worked up my garden, just about whenever it got dry enough, for my root crops. It seemed almost forever for my bales to cure, and cool down. So when most of my tomatoes were getting really leggy, I went ahead and planted a bunch of them in dirt.
I held back some that I started later and weren't quite so tall for the bales.
It was the first week in May that I got my first two rows of corn planted. Then when it dried up again, about the middle of May I started planting those leggy tomatoes. Those are now producing. I also had some volunteer tomato plants come up. in between the rows. I replanted some of those, into the bales, along with the ones held for the bales. Now those volunteers have little tomatoes on, just not ready to turn red just yet.
I may be just a little impatient in thinking the bales that my bales aren't as well this year.
I am forgetting that while Jeanett was having to wait on the warmer weather, I was able to get some of mine planted. I knew I was taking a chance on loosing some to a frost, but it paid off. I have shared some of the tomatoes, and we have a gallon of salsa made up already. I haven't had enough real nice looking ones to try to sell any. I don't mean I'm not getting any like that. Just not enough yet. Some the skin is marred with a kind of rust or something. We had a couple really hard rains and some hail after they were ready to start to ripen. most of those started to rot even before they ripened.
I don't know why but my " Dr. Wyche's yellow" are doing great. Have had quite a few nice two ponders from those. We have picked all of our sweet corn, and had our little corn processing party. I picked nearly almost all I had planted during the day, then after the restaurant ( THE BARN ) closed I took what I had picked down there. Gary and I shucked it. then at 4:00 two helpers showed up. Gary done the blanching, I and "Ping"
another friend, were cutting the corn off the cob. Our minister friend form another church, was helping bag it. We had a great time, and got done about 7:30. and we all had corn to freeze for later. Started getting cucumbers now too, I think about 15 or so. They seem to be doing great. My green beans are done. I'm thinking of planting another row of them. I'm pushing myself a little, trying to get my old shop and the old iron that was set aside that I had intended on using sometime, for spare parts and such all picked up and selling for salvage. Didn't realize I had accumulated so much. Oh well I know I won't need any of it any more. I have sweat off about 15lbs. and hauled out three pickup loads to the salvage yard. Made some money on it too.
LOL
I think my one son in law would like to have had most of it. but the cash in my pocket sure is nice. He is doing about like I did. Mechanic work, for construction companies, plus some on his own. Mostly on those pickups they jack up and need a step ladder to get in and out of. They use in mud drags. ( A very expensive hobby ) Too much for my blood. Ha ha ha. I had all I could handle just keeping up with the normal expenses of raising a family. If I had it all to do over; I would have found a way to go to college.
So go for the education, while you are still young. Just wishing I had.
Russ

Wake Forest, NC

Lena: just getting on after being away for a few days. I'm also sorry to hear about the baby.

Russ: I'll leave a light on for you whenever you swing by Wake Forest!

Dahlonega, GA

hey , russ , swing by north ga . i'd love to meet you and wife . sally

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hey Kent / Sally, Maybe if We have enough places to visit, we could get fat, just trying out all that Southern Cookin. :) I do hope to be able to make the trip again. I think I could handle a vacation after the snow stops the gardening. LOL That kinda has a fun sound to it. We may well just do that.
Thanks for the invites.
Russ

Dahlonega, GA

you'r more than welcome . sally

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Russ, if you do that you need to be sure to take some of those sweet taters with you. I think it sounds like those are the one thing that I have not heard Kent, Sally or anyone else talk about planting.

Jeanette

marshville,, NC(Zone 8a)

I plant sweet potatoes......Beauregards.....

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Jeanette ; I think I would have to take some along anyway. And yes Foggy the Beauregard does seem to be the S/P of the southern states. And I did misquote and gave MS as the state that the Beauregard turned the sweet potato industry around. It was LA. I have a few of Beauregard, some centennial, some Georgia jet and also Vardaman. So far I am liking the vardaman. for it's short vines. Of course I don't count my chicks before they hatch- - - - I will go by the end count. as to which variety will do the best for this far north. Which reminds me I need to go get pictures of the tader patches, so I can show the differences in the final judgment.
Anyway I spaced all the patches the same. I can still make out the rows in the vardamans. all the others have spread out wide and there is no distinction of a row left just a lush covered area or a sea of green leaves. Would that be a plausible description?
Anyway the leaves and vines are larger on the vards, and it still retains its bush type structure. I am anxious to see the end result.
Do yall think I would have to include a stop at Foggy's too???? LOL
Russ

Dahlonega, GA

why not stop by foggys . jnette , i got some slips from my neighbor ,beauregards and he said i probably can make a small crop . russ promised me some rhubarb , so he can bring me those . gotta get here by thanksgiving cause we will probably be leaving right after . i hate when stuffs up in the air . dh's company MAY let a guy go and if they do , they'll want dh to work through the winter .they'll have to hire someone else next spring anyway , or be short handed . that wont work .always before , it worked out fine , dh would take off in winter , save them from keeping him on payroll ,and we used to stay til april first . this year they wanted him back by march 17th . i have a house in ar . and didn't even get to stay long enough to clean the yard . in one night and leave next morning to drive another six hundred miles pulling our 12' utility trailer loaded with tools and stuff . 55 is the limit we pull that thing ,so always takes about 20 hours with a little stop to get some sleep. thank gosh for big vans , so can just sleep in that .

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Digger That sounds like road construction up here. I worked long hours while the ground isn't frozen. Sometimes they had two crews working within 70 miles of each. It never seemed to fail I would have to do the mechanic work for both crews. Then from mid Dec. untill March or April you are off. I always had plenty to do, if I didn't mind freezing my buns. But I had let a lot of my repair work go as at the time I didn't have a garage to work in.
It is nice to be retired but now I don't have the cash flow I had with those 96 hr. weeks.

Speaking of cash my sister in law sent us a joke.

A little boy
wanted $100.00 very badly and prayed for weeks, but nothing
happened.

Then
he decided to write God a letter requesting the $100.00.

The
postal authorities received the letter to God , USA , they decided to
send it to the President.

The
president was so amused that he instructed his
secretary
to send the little boy a $5.00 bill.

The
president thought this would appear to be a lot of money to a little
boy.

The
little boy was delighted with the $5.00 bill and sat down to write a thank-you
note to God, which read:

Dear
God: Thank you very much for sending the money. However, I noticed that for
some reason you sent it through
Washington, DC! .,
and those assholes deducted $95.00 in taxes!

Have a nice day. Russ

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, very cute Russ.

BTW, Russ my Centennials have vines about 6 feet long. Wonder if I will get any roots (taters) or if it all went to vine?

Jeanette

Dahlonega, GA

russ , your town isn't on my map , where in heck are you ? what city are you close to ? sally

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.