Strawbale Gardening: General Discussions - Chapter 23

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Yup Digger, it's getting better, but only in front of the fan. I believe you have the right idea. So I will go work on that, for the next hour or so.
If goes past that so be it. I should feel better anyway.
Russ
Oh here is one I am happy about. This is a young tree. Last year it had 4 apples on it. This year there are a bunch. And they were very delishious. Nice and crisp. They have a ways to go before they are ripe. Just thought I would share this pic.

Thumbnail by randbponder
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Russ hope you lose your headache soon. I can sympathize as I too have had a headache for past couple of days, don't know why. Am not spending much time outside, it is pretty warm right now. As soon as it cools a little I am going to pick some peas and pull a potato off the vine on /in my compost pile to make creamed (actually milked) potatoes and peas. First time for a couple of years that I have had enough peas to do that. Between my little dog and the rabbits they ate (the rabbits) the vines, or the pea pods (my dog). she absolutely loves peas. This year I got smart and planted my peas inside my blackberry cage. Working good It has a walk thru gate so that only I can go inside!!!!!! Your apples look delicious.

Donna

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Donna; It turned out just like I thought. A large storm cell has hit and passed over. There was absolute still air, I noticed it getting dark out, then we could hear the constant thunder. Suddenly the trees were twisting and turning leaning way over. Heavy rain and hail bouncing off my pickup. Guess the worst of the storm went to the north of us. We got an inch of rain in less than 30 min. It is still once again all my trees are all standing. Looking out across the garden every thing looks good.
And most of all. I no longer have the headache. Just a wee bit woozy is all.
Russ

Dahlonega, GA

rutho , i have new potatoes,from neighbor , frozen e peas . gonna make in cream sauce , won't be the same , but good . russ like i said , you just won't be still and it seems everyone i've talked to the past two weeks , all over the united states ,has had a headache . sally

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Wow; Digger, I never thought so many people were tormented by the weather that way.
A lot of Drs. don't believe the weather could have that much effect on a person.
Barb & I just took a short drive, to see if there was any damage. We noticed that there was a narrow path where the hail was more intense. We noticed it in the leaves of the corn, This narrow band the leaves were riddled. We were on the edge of it. South of here, no damage. North for about 1/4 mile the leaves were riddled. Glad we wern't up there with the car or we might have needed to have the dents repaired.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Wow! I just ate my first-ever home-grown potato... grown in the remnants of last year's straw bales. YUMMY!! It was smaller than a baseball, but much larger than a golf ball. I didn't even feel around in the bales to see what kind of yield I might have... I was too excited (even to take a picture)!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Yay Darius... bet it was good too!!

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow! I just had my first salad from my garden- greens and the big fat cucumber that I picked this morning . . .YUMM!

I wish I could figure out how to post a bunch of photos at once, instead of taking up so much room trying to show you the comparison shots . . . any helpful insights out there?

Also, where the heck is Kent??? I miss him!

Namaste- Suz

P.S. Here come a few pics . .

Thumbnail by SuzanSkylark
Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

And here it is: the zucchini plant that ate Gardenville . . .

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Some lovely little Roma tomatoes-to-be . . . (from the straw side)

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

And the sugar baby watermelon plants, which are the sole stars of the straw bale side . . .

Wake Forest, NC

Suz: Howdy! I'm here but haven't been on DG a lot since getting back from a week at youth camp deep in the Nantahala National Forest of western NC.

Then I immediately had our 110th family reunion.

Then I had gardening, yard, and honey-do list work.

Only a minute or two to glance at some of the threads.

Lots of good pics from everyone.

Keep up the good work.

Back on night shift tomorrow. Gotta go back to work to get some rest!

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Good to hear from you, Kent- you were missed. Sounds like some fun times. How's your garden doing?? Need some photos!

Get some rest- Suz

Dahlonega, GA

i am sure enjoying my tomato sandwiches . look forward to fried corn tortillas with sliced tomatoes , cheese , heated in micro 'till cheese melts . can make a meal on about six of those . great tv snack . fried squash , stewed squash , squash in salad , squash in freezer . all off four beautiful plants . picked my sis up at airport yesterday . stopped for nacho supreme and frozen margaritas . gonna hit all the thrift shops and hobby stores in a thirty mile radius this week .wheeeee! come join us . welcome back, kent , hay bales , straw bales , way to go . sally

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Hahaha, Sally- you're definitely a Georgia peach!! Enjoy your sister's visit.

Brevard, NC

I have a drain field behind my house. I know you are not supposed to plant vegetables on it. Would straw bales work? Would I need a plastice barrier under them? I'm also confused about straw v hay. The first things I read said never to use hay, then I notice above some of you are having good results with hay. Can you reccommend any books?

thanks

MadAnne... I wish I had some answers for you! Hay vs straw seems to be all about seed heads but my straw had plenty last year.

Sorry to be OT but... I noticed you are in Brevard. I lived there one summer (1992) then moved to Asheville. There is a long-time DG'er out near Toxaway... Woodspirit1, and another in Horseshoe. We have an annual get-together and plant swap (Roundup) usually in May in Asheville; we had about 30 folks this year.

Brevard, NC

I missed the round up this year. I've met Woodspirit1 through email only, but I've met a good friend of hers who lives near me. Brevard is a beautiful place.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey There , all of you strawbalers! I have been watching this forum with interest for so long! I just didnt know for sure how to get started here so I've been lurking! I needed to see something first hand and yesterday I did! I visited friend Digger up in Dahlonega Georgia. I had no idea that she was a Strawbaler til now! Geeeee -miney Crickets!
I've never seen such beautiful tomato plants! She has them staked up and they are already over 6 feet. She said to be sure to tell everyone that she prunes the leaves too! On the backside of the bales she has put in her crookneck squash, HUGE!!!!! Gorgeous plants and so prolific! Good Going Digger!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Sally Examining her babies!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Just look at those Yummy 'maters and those Squash plants!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Dahlonega, GA

i was so busy giving you plants , i forgot to give you tomatoes . i'm so sorry . that just means you'll have to come back . see what you did kent , next year i'm going to cut trees and make room for more . i'm going to try to get some growing this winter in rockport ,tex if we have a mild winter . these are the first tomatoes i've had sucess with in georgia .( also my sis's name) thankee, thankee , thankee . sally

Sally, is there any alternative to avoid cutting trees?

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Sally; I am almost jealous. your tomatoes look terrific and your squash is way ahead of mine. I don't really feel that jealous though. I picked enough green beans and peas, for a good mess last night and fixed another pot of them for lunch today. Fixed a little hamburger with some of last years peppers, this springs morels and this years onions.
And I picked one tomato. So now I can say that even with the late spring, my garden is paying off.
My beans are in the ground. Really, I am still wishing I had planted some in bales. It would be nice to have them up a little higher off the ground.
I don't really mind going along the row on hands and knees, getting all those goodies but it would be nice just to stand up and pick them.
The tomatoes In the bales are going to be a little late this year, as I didn't get the bales prepped soon enough. The ones that I put the dark filter material around them seem to me to be doing better. Test isn't over yet but I am beginning to think that hay might be better for me than the straw. We will see how the rest of the summer goes.
Haven't seen any really big tomatoes yet. like last year's. But then they are just starting.
Russ

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

... I wasn't hungry until I came here!! Off to go fix vittles, sheez!

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful pictures, Digger, from your friend! It's good to see your plants and great to see YOU! Everything looks healthy and robust- good work.

Your yankee pal- Suz

Dahlonega, GA

darius,the trees are so thick and so tall.we have almost gotten the pines out .they are dying , and already one fell across my new chain link fence .expensive ! the ones that are to be cut , are three hugh red oak that have had the roots cut across them in a line for septic system drain field . they are, after six years , starting to die in the top. don't worry ' the reason i live in the woods is because i wont let dh cut trees. the ones that were cut to get our first mobile home thru the woods and set , each had it's own funeral . the mover said a dogwood had to go and i told him if the driver couldn't get around that corner without hitting my tree, then he needed to hire drivers and flaggers that knew what hand signals were . ( me and ex dh moved mobile homes nation wide ,and i was a darn good flagger) he was ,i hate to admit , a darn good driver.russ , the only way to go is the bales ,we're too old to be on our knees .suz , yeh , it's nice to know what your friends look like , i want to know who i'm talking to. be nice if we could start a thread with pictures and introduce ourselves . i try to visualize , but it's not the same. yo bud , sally

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hey digger, I think I get a pretty good work out, getting up and down. Not much for crawling though. (*-*) heh heh
Yesterdays lunch, made all that crawling worth while though. The only thing that is even a little troubling, is that one lone tomato setting there on the counter. I know I will cut it in half, and share it, with DW but it sure is tempting the taste buds.
Jeanette; Where are you? I got a "TOMATO" now lets hear it from you. Yeah, I know I'm yanking your chain. :(
Sundownr; What did you have to fix fer them thar vittles?????
I better be careful I'm getting a little ornery.
Well these guys better hurry up. I planted them later than those in dirt. That was because it took longer for my bales to get ready, this year.
Oh, Barb just said I should be nice, so I better shut up.
Russ

Thumbnail by randbponder

Sally, thanks for the tree explanation!

And as to photos, there is a place on everyone's DG page where we can post a photo of ourselves. Just click on any name (who starts a post)...

Dahlonega, GA

jnette, are you ok? haven't seen you around , we know you didn't go off on another forum and abandon us . sally

Dahlonega, GA

well, if i could post another picture , i'd show you how blight has maybe done my babies in . fast , and that's what i've had in georgia from the first planting , fifteen years ago . i had hoped for a great crop , but no , it just isn't to be. does anyone have a solution .all my four types have it. sally

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

digger; Are you planting in the same area every year? Is this your bale garden?
I know that in the ground, I have to rotate the tomatoes to a different area. I didn't think that would happen with the bales.

Dahlonega, GA

it's in the bales ,russ,and the pictures were taken on sat. they looked fine . i just can't get healthy tomatoes in georgia , have tried for years , then gave up until strawbales . dh is bringing me some stuff that my neighbor uses on his tomatoes . i'll keep you up on progress . i do know it isn't spotted wilt .looks like blight , just don't know what to do for it . going out now and take off nasty leaves . sally

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Sally; Right off hand I'm not sure either. I will do some checking though.

marshville,, NC(Zone 8a)

Sally, that's a real shame! Your plants were gorgeous!! there are some newer tomatos bred to withstand blight....we've got the same problems here. When looking for seeds they'll generally note which are blight resistant ...don't stop trying!

Sal(Foggy)

Dahlonega, GA

thanks, yuall . how's it going , foggy , haven't talked to you in awhile .you just post and i nod my head in agreement ,and keep scrolling .has anyone heard from jnette?she had some health issues ,i thought were small , hope she's ok.

Dahlonega, GA

my sis got the call from her dh . had to pack up and fly back to dallas,tx . her son managed to stay out of hospital , but had to go back ,it's touch and go with his health since car wreck thirteen yrs. ago she got to spend a week ,plane ticket finally got changed. took her to marta train ,she got to airport , went on standby ,about 10:00am , think she got out around 7:00pm .when your kid is in danger ,the whole world stops for us. we got lots of hobby lobby ,michaels ,eating out ,ect. hadn't seen her in 10 yrs. she keeps me straight .(if that's possible) she did get to meet two dg buddies , had a ball .sally ps didn't touch the house for a week ,time to catch up .

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

OMG! Sally I just got in from work, and read your post. Those beautiful tomatoes just couldnt be gone that quick!!! I am so sorry! They were just the picture of the perfect tomato garden. I know you are just sick about it! ...by any chance did your temps drop after all the rain we got here in Georgia??? Could they be in shock? Geesh , I hate it !

marshville,, NC(Zone 8a)

Yikes! Sally, I'm right behind you. I just went out to inspect my garden & apparently my squash have come down with verticillium wilt. At least I think thats what it is. Putting out gracious amounts of little zukes & bang! 3 in total wilt & the others don't look good.

Will it spread to my tomatoes? I know they get it but I don't know if its the same kind that cukes & squash get. Fungicide? How do I fight it?

Foggy

Where oh where are you Jnette? Did we give you permission to go away? It's been over two weeks and everyone is worried.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2008 7:00 PM

Dahlonega, GA

fog, my dh got some m-45 fungicide for my tomatoes , squash wasn't affected .thought we had enough big rain ,so didn't water until today .soaked them. sprayed total plant as advised by neighbor that always has big garden .wait and see. sal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.