Were not in Kansas anymore!!!! Toto!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,toto is doing great!!!
Just remember tomorrow is another day!Things will be better.

Randy,did you see the Miller Light Beer palm Tree commercial????LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Jen,speaking of wind,be careful Dolly heading your way Wednesday!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Shari's parents are in Brownsville. Directly in the path of Dolly. Maybe she will slow down before landfall.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2008 9:35 AM

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Praying for all that's in Dolly's path. Good luck.

Here's a pic of my new tenant. He lives in the birdhouse on my front porch. He's got a deluxe apartment in the sky, (sorry no AC for him)

Thumbnail by Robynznest
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Man,selling flight insurance to the birds now!!!LOL

I want one (or two) of those breller drinks!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Naa..I missed the Miller commercial.
I tucked the palm tree in the garage today...took down umbrellas and things as a good 25 mile an hour wind can make them fly fly fly....

We're tracking the storm here at CO headquarters and the storm is very near hurricane status now. Flights to/from Brownsville are cancelled after 5p so far it's business as usual to Corpus and McAllen

They said on CNN a few minutes ago that it is only a few miles an hour away from being a hurricane. The meteorologist (I know I didn't spell that right) just said that it is slowing down and that is not a good sign because it is either about to change course or speed up.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I think slowing down is bad for it turning into a hurricane...previously it was moving too fast from what I understand

I live in Northwestern Oklahoma. I have always said that is really sad that in order for us to get some rain this time of year those on the coastline have to have a hurricane.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It almost takes a hurricane to dampen up that dry air...we've been watching on the radar here...and all of the bands that have hit the shore line so far have just evaporated.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Same here! It'd dry dry dry!!!

I can't imagine not ever having any rain. We DO get some rain. Usually in the spring.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Hoping you all stay safe.^_^

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Randy,it was a coconut tree,instead of coconuts,it had bottles of light beer,where the coconuts would be,one falls and lands right in the guys hand!!!!
If you can keep us updated on Hello Dolly!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone! My Mom called this am...when they order an evacuation, she and my Dad absolutely refuse to go. But when no order is issued she is packed and ready. I get so little news out here that I was trying to follow it on line. Problem was we were having a storm ourownselves, and power went out. Just now got back. Anyone got an update on Dolly?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Dolly is a Hurricane now.

www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1825695,00.html?xid=feed-rss-netzero

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL...okay..come saturday there will be coconut beer hanging up there on the tree...I'll have to do roundup photos next to the tree!

Hi Shari,
I think the biggest concern I've seen for Dolly is lots of rainfall expected about 12-14 inches with flooding expected. Tornados possible overnight.. looks like the action is at night

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Thanks Pep! Got some more on-line info as well. Boy! If it ain't one thing, its another! How you guys handling this Randy? Any more cancellations?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Sorry Randy, we cross posted. Thanks for the info. My folks live right on the Rio Grande...it is about 12 ft. from their back deck, so it is the flooding that worries me. Well they are not stupid, so I will not panic unless I get a reason to. Hope all the water and wind with this storm doesn't harm anyone...its these little ones that sneak up on ya that do all the damage it seems. Stay safe all my Texas friends!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Anderson Cooper,CNN news said they closed the bridge from South Padre Island,and was more concerned about a small Mexican town south of Brownsville getting flooded out,where they though the heaviest rainfall would occur!!!

Randy,just how long do you think that beer will last in that tree!!!LOL

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone!
We had rain twice today, but I am thankful! We sure need it! The news said that our coast may have a 3.8' higher tide, but that shouldn't bother us personally. They did say in the storms tomorrow it could spawn tornados (as usual). We should only get 1-3" of rain. We are down 6", so it's good. Just hope my canopy continues to stand. If not we'll have to fix it with the PVC a little sooner!

Shari, we are praying for your folks! The news said that they are concerned about the Levies holding / river flooding. I think the estimated rain fall is up for that area also.

Good News is that it is not supposed to rain Sat and Sun, Randy for your RU!

Jeanne

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Gail and I send our best to anyone (and their loved ones) who will be in Dolly's path. Let's hope there's just enough wind to shake the dead leaves off the trees, overturn a few umbrellas and create a ripple at the surface of ponds and fountains.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We got more rain in the night, and everything is fine. Canopy is still standing!
(My concern with the canopy wasn't due to extreme winds, just that the canopy is pretty rusted and weak.)

I'm sure you've probably all heard the news about Brownsville. It was stronger than expected, winds up to 100 mph,m then down to 95. Alot of glass broken, signs, trees down. It went in as a Cat 1 - almost two (111).

One injury - A teen fell off a hotel balcony and got a broken leg and hip, head injury. They can't get him to a hospital because the causeway is closed, so he is being treated at the fire station there.

Hope they have painkillers!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

and a couple of smart pills

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone! All those good thoughts saved the day again! Thanks!! I just talked to my folks, and aside from a wild olive tree that was broken in half, and a few minor problems on the property, they are fine...just wet. What with the drought conditions in the valley, this rain is actually a good thing for that area. Just hope there are no tornados causing damage as Dolly moves north.

Jeanne, glad to hear everything is fine your way. Enjoy the rain.

Yokwe all,
Shari

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Shari, so glad that your parents are OK! We really needed the rain also, so it was a good thing! It's been a little windy, but not bad. No tornados here. All is well!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Just now was able to get online,server was down all day,but glad to hear things weren't too bad,but saw news about S.Padre Isle ,things were not so good,looks like part of the gulf now.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We're getting the drizzle effect here from the storm...and everything is growing about 20 inches.
Here are some gloriosias

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

before the rain, you could see through this...lol..the front of the house..helps the power bill, but not nearly enough.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Big fern keeps living up to name...that's the bottom half of an umbrella stand to the left.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The bird of paradise next to the fern is pretty large now too- It's a 10 foot fence they're next too

This message was edited Jul 24, 2008 12:47 PM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Looking good!!
Randy what is that tree that has ferny like leaves,in the second picture in the middle,looks like my cassia with yellow flowers,is that hardy there?
Wish I could grow that big fern in a pot,I'd be happy,tried many times only to lose them by fall!

That's a fern? Are you serious? My ferns are about 6" high. What's that frilly leaved thing to the right of the banana? (Second picture) And can you grow it in zone 6?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Julia, yes, it's a fern, a tree fern!
Rj, is that a Bauhinia in the front of the house pic? What kind is it? I love those....

Thumbnail by robcorreia

Will it grow in Woodward? And what is the frilly thing to the right of the banana?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thats a papaya!
No it won't grow in zone 6!Oh I wish it could!!!LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That tree in the middle is a story- It is a Tamarind Tree from Africa- I collected seeds off the beach while living in Liberia W. Africa when I was a kid. I've had a bunch of seeds from that time 70's early 80's- 36 years I had the seeds, and thought.....wonder if it will grow.....and there ya have it..the answer...it's survived 3 winters so far, each time wondering if it will make it...

Yes..that's a Bauhinia- standard purple flower...that I'm a day away from ripping out...also featured on the right are papaya trees that grew from another tree that dropped fruit on the ground...in other words..I didn't plant them there.

Fern tree is 3 years old there in the ground..4 years old from when I bought it...was just a little tyke- If you look close enough in this picture you can see how small it was!

Can you see me disappointed?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.