Were not in Kansas anymore!!!! Toto!

Don-I have heard that Surgeons Skin Secret works real good for what ails your feet. I don't have diabetes, but I do walk around outside barefoot all the time. I was told I had temporal mendibular joint disease (spelling?) years ago. It's where your nerves cause you to grind your teeth while you sleep. The doctor said this condition makes your skin dry. I have a lot of trouble with dry cracked feet. Now that I walk barefoot outside all the time I have a real bad time. I am thinking of buying some of that for my feet.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Take care Don and good luck.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Surgeons Skin Secret ,never heard of that,where do you get it?
Thanks Robyn!

Well. You can go to QVC.com and type in surgeons skin secret in the search. I am not sure how much it costs. There is a male show host who has a skin condition which he says causes his hands to crack and bleed. He says he uses it and it helps him.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,will ask my sis she does the QVC thing all the time!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

When I lived in Canada, there was this over-the-counter cream: Uremol 20 I used when my heels cracked during the winter. It contains 20% or 22% urea and works miracles to heal cracked dry skin. I haven't seen it here in the US. I think you need a prescriptiion to get it. Each winter when my dad flies does for the season, I have him bring 4 or 5 tubes. That does me the whole year. It has a shelf life of about 18 months. I haven't found anything similar here.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Don, just dropping by to say once again you have taken my breath away! Such a magnificent job of bringing the tropics to heartland US. Well done!!! Thanks so much for the pics, you give us all inspiration.

Yokwe everyone!
Shari

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sylain,will check with pharmacist.

Hi Shari.
Thanks for such kind words,just like to make everyone who live in the tropis feel at home,when looking at my pics!!!

Isn't it nice to step out in to your yard and feel like you have escaped to a tropical island? Very cheap vacation, and you can go anytime you want!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep,ain't that the truth!!!LOL

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Being that I also have built a tropical garden would beg to differ about the "cheap" part.

Christi

Ha!ha! I know! I am planting tropicals. Can relate! You can't get this stuff at Wal-Mart (although I did get 4 musa basjoos there).

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Tropicman, what a fantastic garden. Where do you put all this stuff in the winter.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Still cheaper than an exotic cruise around the Caribbean. LOL!
Just meaning not a lump sum at once!!!LOL

LiliMerci,I have 3 greenhouses and a sunroom,although none are really huge,but I packem
like sardines!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Would take a lot of pictures to show most of the yard. You would be bored.

Christi

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC, would that be a castor beans on the far right of the picture you just posted?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes it is, Lili. Randy was here in April and brought dozens of wonderful plants.
They have everyone grown like crazy.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Christi never boring!!!
Wow you have the ears!!
What is that blooming in the very far back,red flowers?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Right side? Top of a crepe myrtle. Was disappointed. Ordered it online because I wanted "Dynamite". This is the third year and it is pink! I could have gotten pink anywhere in town.

Morning Glory tree from Randy.

Thumbnail by LouC
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I have one that is called COUNTRY KITCHEN Red.
Really only hardy to zone 8,but it keeps coming back and usually blooms end of August.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

But just consider the good care it gets in zone 6a.

I'm learning my plants just from reading the threads. I don't even have a castor bean plant - well I put a few seeds down but nothing yet... Is that flower(s) on top of the castor bean plant?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

There are small rather insignificant blooms of cream color that become the seed pod which is a spiney ball with the seeds inside. They look just like pinto beans but are extremely poisonus. When ground into a powder it is called "ricin". Same thing that was used in some of the mail attacks a few years ago. If you take a good stock of the garden by far the majority of it is poison...if you eat it. I don't put it in my mouth.

Christi

keep trying to send a clear picture but it just disappears.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Wow Christi,my MGB never had that many blooms at one time!!!
I traded mine off couple yrs back,spidermites loved it more than any plant I had,in the winter time.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I love the castor bean plants. Now talk about a bold, in your face plant. And so very toxic to boot. I have always had an inclination towards toxic plants. Gardeners often shy away from them. I had to draw the line when I acquired (and subsequently destroyed) a mantegazzianum heracleum. That one secretes a sap on the edge of its leaves that gets on your skin and causes 2nd degree burns. That's a bit too evil, even for me.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hope the pictures are going to work today. The stalk of this castor bean is red as are the veins in the leaves. Extra striking. As you can see going to have lots of seed. Will be glad to send to those who want it. They are annual here but Randy has one in Houston that has a tree trunk because it doesn't go dormant.

Thumbnail by LouC
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hoja Santa, rootbeer plant. Some of the leaves rival the EE's and they are 2 feet across and 3 feet long.

Chris

Thumbnail by LouC
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The crepe myrtle tree is actually in the bed on this side of the rock. Very, very conflicted garden. A tropical cottage garden, and I love it. Everything is in the ground and that will be a mess when it gets cold.

Chris

Thumbnail by LouC
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

tropical pond

Thumbnail by LouC
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Don't like to be able to see any dirt. Tropical, perrenials, annuals, and veggies all mixed up.

Chris

Thumbnail by LouC
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry, Don. I took over your thread.

Christi

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

No problem be my guest!!!
How hardy is that rootbeer plant?
Everything is lush,your either water well,or getting lots of rain!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm scared to get my water bill. Literally. It will probably be $300+ Our town penalizes you for using water. We have stopped going anywhere so I can have this garden.

The root beer dies completely to the ground and comes back next year. Root hardy. Spreads by root. I could try to send one. So far whenever I have dug one it has wilted tremendously. Very willing to try.

Christi

The leaves are used to wrap chicken or fish and then grill, broil, bake, whatever.
We haven't done so as yet. That's what they told us at the nursery.

What about digging some up after it goes dormant? Is it hardy to zone 6?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I just looked it up,says only root hardy to 20*,so I guess it wouldn't be hardy here.

Don- do you have anymore room to plant something?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Depends on the size it will get to,whether sun or shade.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Christi, your garden is looking wonderful! I am so enjoying all the pictures on this thread!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

How quickly things change. Went out shortly after posting this morning. My prettiest little koi was floating on top. Have been messing with the water for about 2 weeks. It would clear up and then get murky. Just cleaned all of the filters this past Monday.
My neighbor, Becky has the San Antonio River Walk in her yard so she took the 5 that were left. They are so pretty. about 9" long now. Mike and I totally cleaned the tank and are going to let it sit for a few days. I have water plants and will repot and put them back in without the fish. That is until all of this surgery stuff is over and I can once again tend to the pond myself. They are just next door with her 150 other koi so I can go visit. The picture only shows a portion. To the left is a turn and it is half again as long. Two waterfalls.

Thumbnail by LouC
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oh wow!
Thats gorgeous!
Heck,I'd live in there too if I were a fish!!!LOL
Christi,do you have a water test kit,to see the ph of your water,maybe too much amonia in the water from decay leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.