Were not in Kansas anymore!!!! Toto!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL!!! Ah,but we really are!!!!
And I'll post some pics top prove it!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oh wow,wish you could put your nose up to this and inhale!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

As the sun set in the rain forest!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Now I'm lost!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I think I see an opening!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Love these need to get the yellow variety!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Your guess as good as mine,bird planted!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Fairly new variety called black death Castor bean

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Blimey it's a limey ear!!!LOL

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Cone heads!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Follow me to the greenhouse

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Come in for a home grown banana,best your ever sink your teeth into!!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Front sidewalk

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Looking toward the street that you can't see!!LOL

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Trumpet vine on arbor,over shadowed by Mimosa tree.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

This tri color hibiscus is really pretty!
Off to bed!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Don, GORGEOUS as always! You sure wouldn't think that you were in Kansas, Toto! Looks like a Tropical Island to me! You just need a "hut"! (me too!) haha! Great job! Wondered where you've been!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Don, I was thinking of you today and here you are with your spectacular garden! Everything looks lovely - are you REALLY in Kansas?^_^

Now I am going back to look through all the pictures again - I know I missed tons of things the first time through, so much to look at!

Nice to "talk" to you again!

Hats off to anyone growing tropicals WAY out of their zone.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi J'S...
Been working lots of overtime,but have 2 weeks vacation,coming in a couple weeks,
just maybe I can get some weeding done!!!!
Thanks,we have had lots and lots of rain,double for the year,so very lush and very mosquito too!!!!

Don

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

You can keep the skeeters.

Garden looks great!!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Don, it is just beautiful there. How big of a yard do you have? Can I have part of it. (hint, no mowing). With all the rain the midwest has had everything is growing doubly fast including the grass and weeds. I can't keep up, I've been working doubles 5 days a week and trying to squeeze in as much yard and plant time as I can in two days. If a weed snuck in between all your plants only you would know.I couldn't see it because all your plants are wonderful looking. Good job. I'm going back to look closer at the pics.

That bird did a wonderful job at planting it's flower, looks like a phlox, but don't know.

Dallas, TX

WOW I'AM SPEECHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jerry

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

VERY lovely! I have a soft spot for tropicals. I have EE's , jasmines, tuberoses, brugs, epis, tropical milkweeds, black eyed susan vines, gloriosa lilies, vincas and dune daisies.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My Goodness. Every time I see this wonderland I am astounded. You definitely are an inspiration, Don. Maybe today I will take a picture or two of my little bit of heaven. Nothing, nothing like yours.

I use Deep Woods 100% deet. Only way I can go out the door.

Christi

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

You did GOOD!! And yeah...that's tall phlox that that bird gave you! If you let it go to seed, you will lots more!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad that ice and cold is far far behind and the jungles of big leaves have taken their place in the sun.

What banana advice to give? for fertilzer etc...I don't pay enough attention to mine..

Rj

PS. This looks like a wonderful version of purple phlox
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5186102

This message was edited Jul 1, 2008 4:11 PM

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

Thats great! Cancel my trip to the Caribbean - I'm going to Kansas! The air fare would be cheaper too. You've got a beautiful place there!

Dallas, TX

Rj, I remember back in the spring whenTropicman said how bad and cold it was! But looking at his tropical jungle now,it must be something special and secret in that" thar secret sauce." If he would bottle it, I would buy a few bottles if it would make my garden look like Tropicmans. Jerry

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

I need a case!!! Outstanding Don!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Gang!
It's all that composting right where I plant my plants,everything goes back into the garden,right where it was growing in the first place,I throw nothing away anymore.
Believe me there is lots of weeds or crabgrass,and runners from the trumpet vine everywhere,they pop up faster than I can pull them up!!!LOL
We've had enough rain to last the rest of the year,now the temps are going to hit the mid 90's for a while so things should really take off and grow.
Jerry my ears look like babies compared to yours!!!!LOL
Well a 3 day weekend coming,I'll need to pot up lots of palms and other things,I've been meaning too!!!
Just maybe pull a few weeds as well!
Might even catch a well deserved nap too!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Atawhai,Nelson, New Zealand(Zone 10a)

I'm impressed. So you will have to wheel it all back inside before winter then?

Red Oak, TX

Love your Jungle, Tropicman. Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I meant....plumbago on that purple...not phlox.

Yes I remember when.......battling the cold...
it's been hot here...last summer it barely broke 90F, this summer every day is above 90F...it's almost like steroids for some of these tropicals.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You were correct the first time, RJ. I also have the same tall purple phlox.

Chris

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aaaaaaahhhhhhh....hahahahahaha...they sure are pretty!

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Actually, Tropic, this does suspiciously resemble the areas around Atchison a well guarded secret, but you just just had to let the cat out of the bag. Now everybody knows. I hope you're happy.

GREAT SHOTS!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL!

Unbelievable that one person could green house that many plants! That's pure determination! I'll say!!!! Sure glad I'm a few zones warmer! No way I could do that!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep Mike,I have to dig them up,prune thin,repot them,debug them,and carry them back inside for the winter,takes a good week to get er done!!!!

Randy been up and down here 95* 0ne day 85* the next,and of course rain!!!

Atchison is a guarded secret!!!LOL

Jeanne,I'm wondering if I can do it come fall!!!LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well it looks mighty fine...a true botanist!

You have any banana tips for me? I'm particularly interested in trying to make this one live, but also want to know how to grow the fruit.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.