Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #13

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

YUppers!!!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Suzy's Dahlias are blooming!

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

'morning everyone - have we heard from Suzy lately??

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

How tall does painter's pallet get? I have some patina that I want to plant it with another weed :)

Suzy has been busy, something with the neighbors.

I ordered some Jacob's Kline on here from the classifieds and yesterday when I was working on the violets in my middle bed I stomped on it and broke one that was blooming!

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh Lea, that is terrible that you stomped your JK flower. That is one of the next things that is on my list to plant. I wish I already had plants, but nope, I have to wait the long time for seeds to grow. I WILL have them one day, tho. : )

I set out some baby daylilies the other day and stepped on 2 of them. I think they are gonna make it tho, I propped them up with little sticks. lol

hi lea
your monarda will be bush out :)

diana...no the poppies will not live until next year..they bloom and reseed. ( annual ).if you dont get blooms because of the hot weather ..i will have plenty more..be sure to direct sow in the fall or winter or very early spring..it is the best method

the coleus are looking good :))

i have abutilon about ready to bloom...will post picture

it was so hot here on saturday 100 degrees..and now we have cooled off..but we are getting the smoky haze from the northern california wildfires...heres hoping it will rain on thursday to clear the air thats trapped in the valley.

susy/ suzy ..missing your postings :((

im enjoying reading your posts from all of you and your pictures..i dont have alot to post as we had a long and cold winter/spring
and im still planting out my garden.

pam sue

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Any idea what I should do with all the oriental poppies I have?

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey y'all the Jacob Cline rarely sets seed. I have a pretty good size patch of it and I went through them with a fine tooth comb last year and found six stinking seeds....then could have cried like a baby cuz I then lost them! I've seen other people say the same thing so I think if you want red monarda you're better off just buying the plants. The only place I found seeds was at Swallowtail and wouldn't you know that I had so much stuff to plant from the swap that I never got around to sowing them? Duh.

That magma coleus is sure pretty. It looks alot like Christmas Candy.

Stacey I keep meaning to tell you that I've had blooms from one of the echies and from the coreopsis that I got in your co-op. I took a pic of the echie but wasn't sure where to post it.

Speaking of poppies I just snagged some seed from the neighbors perennial orange. I have no idea what their botanical name is, but they're sure pretty and I will have enough to share if anyone wants any.

Wind, please accept my condolances, I am so sorry to here about the loss of your friend.

I am not sure who I got Dietes from but they are growing!!! It took them over 2 mos and DH kept telling me they wouldn't grow, but I told him to be patient!! And now they are like 2" high little fans!!!:)

I only have tiger mimilus blooming-took a pic and posted it on my trade list-I will have to post it here when I get home:)

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

LeBug... Your Painters pallett usually doesn't get taller than about a foot for the foliage part. And maybe about 6" above that for the bloom, but mine are growing in pots, so yours may end up being taller.

The flowers are very tiny and you usually don't see them unless ya close up on the plant, but ya wil see all the seedlings come spring. LOL Just a litle plant sure can propagate itself like crazy.

Thumbnail by starlight1153
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Star, I finally found it on a search lol Here's what I'm planting it with this week I hope, it's already about ten inches high and I love the leaves!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37649/

I love the blooms of that coreopsis we got in Fairy's coop but didn't realize they get so wide so I'm rethinking where to plant mine in the middle bed I guess lol My cone flowers are starting to bloom too! I've got more grass to kill to get those planted lol

I don't have anything blooming dfrom my co-op-coreopsis was getting one, then the F*&%^ng bunnies ate it!!!! Those things have signed their death warrant-ate 1/2 my lilies too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor lil bunnies, they thought you planted all that for them. My cat doesn't let the bunnies close enuff to grab a snack here. She is sitting by the door now, watching and waiting for any lil critter that might come by. : )
~Lucy

I have found that blood meal works alreight:)

Anything is worth a try. : )

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I think rabbit stew would help your lilies. Man, any bunny that touches my lilies is definitely filling the stew pot!

LOL!!! Michaela-get on over here then and make me some stew!!!LOL I did feel bad-it was just a little guy this year....but look at what they did to my nashiki willow last year-it was over 4 ft high pre bunny

Thumbnail by Fairy1004
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

hey Fairy...maybe it was a ground hog...4' high is pretty high for a bunny :0
...so sorry! I hate that. I try to accept the losses from the bunnies and the chippy's, but it is tough I must say!!!!!!!!! I reordered and finally have a few jasmines growing that were beheaded from bunnies and died last season.

thanks Lala...tomorrow am is our friend, Tom's, funeral :(

I tried to water yesterday on our "odd" day which is our day to water and today I had to stand and hold the sprayer after work. Every where is so dry... I don't remember it ever being this dry. Our Jacob's cline monarda is usually 5-6' tall and is only 3' tall this year ~ and didn't even come back in a whole section of our hummer garden as it usually does.

from running the sprinkler...one of our bird feeder seeds are sprouting!!! A salad bar for the birds :)))

Thumbnail by wind
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Do chipmunks do that? Last year I planted two variegated eynanomus (probably wrong Spelling) and I only have one that is barley growing back from being eaten. I always see a chipmunk hanging around there so I thought he was the culprit.
I finally got my 3 cana I grew from the swap, planted today. I would have taken a picture but we had a thunder storm rolling in. We've been getting 1 or 2 almost every day for a week straight. Not that I'm complaining, we needed the rain we had a very dry spring this year. I hope all of you that are in drought get some rain soon too. : )

Wind I was typing when you posted - that is so funny! It looks like a chia pet!

We don't have any thing other than rabbits-they chewed it off and left most fo the peices right there next to it:( Did the same thing w/ my hibiscus, pussy willow and Laverta!!!! I have seen them out there, but the damage is usually done by the time I chase them away-I am scared to get too close to them-you know rabies & other diseases and those little buck teeth!!;(

I guess bunnies can reach pretty high when they stand on their hind legs!!! and they must love p.willows because two times they killed our black one that I really wanted. I'm not going to buy it again. I find leaving clover in your grass (weeds basically) gives the bunnies something to eat and also a bird feeder set out of the way lures bunnies to the fallen seed under the feeder, keeping them out of your beds.

Thanks for the tip:)

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh, I have four pussy willow starts and two holly starts in the field and maybe the bunnies are the ones that trimmed those for me! I just thought it was deer, my pussy willows were about two feet tall and now they are only a few inches, I have two black adler starts (hollies from Flower) that were almost ten inches and they went down to three inches, at first I though the neighbor ran over those with the lawn mower then I looked and thought maybe a deer got them but I've been seeing a big old bunny up in the field in the mornings!

Wind you hang in there today for the funneral, so sorry about your friend.

thanks LeBug, we're back and now I'm watering the gardens as much as possible before it gets dark!!!!!!! I hope it does not rain on anyone's holiday BBQ but we NEED RAIN so badly. ...and Yes, I bet the guilty party who clipped your pussy willows were those little rascal bunnies!!! Have a nice Fourth of July everyone :)))

ps Fairy, our blue-eyed grass is going to seed, I'll pick some for you if you are still interested?

this is the summer showers geranium, the purple majesty millet and the scarlet magma coleus

Thumbnail by wind
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Very pretty Wind. Yup. I've gotta get those geraniums into more sun.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Wind - meant to say something sooner and completely forgot - so sorry to hear about your friend. My condolences to you and his family and friends.

We had a big storm blow through, with about an inch or so of rain - and then it started drying out to *just* the right consistency, so the next thing I knew I was out there weeding about a third of the back yard. It needed it desperately, but it was big weeds and without the proper amount of water it was going to be a nightmare. With the rain, a day's worth of weeding turned into about 2 hours. And then the birds started yelping at me to get out of their ways so they could go grocery shopping :)

hi Dryad :) thanks ~ it is great to weed after rain...when it finally does here in our little dry pocket here in Mt. Laurel, I'll take a photo of all the birds, esp the robins, doing the happy dance!!!

These were purchased and not from swap seeds. I like this combo, I posted it before but now it is a bit larger. It is zingiber midnight ginger, festive dance coleus and I just added for the second attempt- nasturtium mahogany. Chipmunks keep digging in this pot and killed the nasturtium seedlings!!! This time I planted the seeds near the stems of the coleus for protection. I thought that nasturtium would look nice because it has bright green foliage.

Thumbnail by wind

oh wind-that will be lovely!! I think the green and the coral of the coleus will look nice together!! I would love some seeds-I did find some, but could only afford 1 plant and I really eventually would like it all over that bed as a GC...

WE got 5" of rain on Wed night-all my poor seedlings that haven't been planted yet were litterally floating!! I did pull some of the big weeds yesterday, but want to get some more done today-it has been cool enough that the ground is still very moist!!

hi all
happy independence day

im posting the little abutilon plant with the huge bloom for its size..it is in yellow.

Thumbnail by

heres my mallow bed...it has lavateras, malvas, and hollyhock...its almost like a hedge as some of these get pretty tall

pam sue

Thumbnail by

im hoping to move these mallows back further closer to the chain fence and use this bed for the daylilies i have started from seed.. looks like it is going to be quite a chore.but i will not start until at least fall.

diana...i love your new coleus...so pretty :))

no rain here..maybe a few drops yesterday and expecting some today...we need it bad.. we are getting some of that haze from the california wildfires

pam sue

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lovely display of malvas PamSue- love the color variation.

The pink bed is filling in nicely- nigella, snapdragons, cleome, shasta daisies, and poppies were from seed, along with lilies and phlox.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2008 8:39 AM

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Pansies still blooming well, along with nigella, Lemon Aura sunflowers, Ensign morning glories, forget me nots, and snapdragons are blooming in this bed in the Sky Garden. And some lilies, ribbon grass, and hardy geraniums.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love the airy look of nigella with the convulvulus in this bed.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

More snapdragons, agastache, and poppies from seed showing in this pic. There's also balsam, bronze fennel, zinnias, and penstemons in that bed, also from seed.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

White Sonata Cosmos, yellow snapdragons, alyssum, nigella, forget me nots, and feverfew from seed blooming in this part of the Sky Garden. There are 'Custard and Cream' four o clocks and Italian white sunflowers budding in there too.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm loving these snaps with the lilies :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini, your property and gardens are so beautiful!!! I want to come over :0
I'm going to look at the pictures again!

pamsue I can't believe the bloom on your little abutilon plant, I've never seen such a large bloom on a little seedling before!

fairy, I'll go pick you some seeds today for you :) Glad to hear you had a good soaking rain. We did have our first sprinkle of rain late day yesterday, only about a 1/4" but I'll take it! So I'll have to let your seeds dry out first and will send asap after that

Gemini, You have so much stuff blooming! Everything looks great, that last picture should be on a cover of a catalog!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.