Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #13

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Wrong! Those are more perennials looking for a home -

What's wrong with this Crystal Palace lobelia? I have some that has normal leaves and blue flowers - and some like this - what gives?

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is the close up of the pot

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Here I am at this years Illumination Night (the annual block party for Forest Park). Anyway, I got an award from the Civic Association for designing and making the terrace gardens! Pretty cool, huh? (Like I know what I'm doing hahahhahaha)

I will send more pictures of the terrace gardens - especially of the zinnias as they become fuller.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2008 5:08 PM

Thumbnail by Seandor
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

The pots are still pretty, even tho they didn't turn out like you wanted. : ) I don't know anything about lobelia, at all.

Undoubtly, you know what you are doing. : ) See that award says so. : )

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

You are too kind! (I am laughing 'cause I don't think anyone who really knows what they are doing makes as many mistakes as I have! I just keep telling the neighbours, give me three years to get it right!)

I am off to brave the blazing heat to return some jeans I bought for my DH. What do you do when your hubby has leg length size 28 inches??? Alas, his waist is too big for boys' size clothes.

I don't know. lol I buy Dh 33x 32. And, he use to be 31x31, and those were hard to find.

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

Seandor-waht great pics!! Thanks for sharing-I am obviously doing something srong-all my stuff is stilll small:(

Lea-that is my baby bunny-I sent him to you to take care of for me:)LOL

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

hi Tuink and everyone :)
hey Seandor, that is so neat...congrats on your award for the terrace gardens...is Forest Park your town?

Fairy, your seeds are drying out still :)

LeBug, how is your kitty? Our stray is getting closer and closer, my DH saw him on our front step area tonight! Other wildlife spotted this afternoon included a chattering ground hog, wiggling into the bushes, whom I figure is the critter eating our catbird's bananas and just toppled over our porch basket with the wasps nest!!!! My fingers are crossed the groundhogs don't hop over the garden fence next!

I don't have any new photos yet to post. The salvias from seed are starting to bloom. Our black- eyed-Susan's are looking good now, but they are not swap seeds...I did give away more plants today too.

Has anyone heard from Suzy? just wondering...I sent her a dmail too and haven't heard from her.

Wind-I forget-what seeds???LOL I tell ya it is all down hil after 31;)

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Seandor. Beautiful pics and congrats on your award! : )

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Fairy, thank you but you keep your bunnies! I have enough to deal with, with the crab grass and violets in that middle bed and now it's getting too hot to work out in it lol Why don't bunnies eat the crab grass and violets instead of our plants lol

Suzy has just got other things going on right now, she'll be back later on I'm sure :) You know someone we haven't heard from for a long while, Flower, I've dmailed her and she hasn't responded, I'm worried about her.....

Seandor you have put so much work into all of your plants that you planted for the terrace gardens and weither you knew what you were doing or not it's a great job! Everything looks really great! Pat yourself on the back girl 8)

Cosmos is one that I didn't get planted out added to a few others that I didn't get planted this year so hopefully I'll get them planted for next year lol I'm still trying to plant seeds and it getting a little over whelming again lol It's July and I need to stop LOL But I soo wanted to get all of these seeds planted!

Wind, I was at the neighbors last night and heard this cat crying like she was in a fight and knew it was the mommy cat so I took off in a rush and didn't even say goodbye lol I got home and looked but couldn't find her then at the back door when I went in the house Patch was scratching and the mommy cat I thought both wanted to come in so I opened the door and tried to grab them and she just wanted Patch to come in something was out in the back yard and couldn't see what it was so dark, well my dog was in the house so I had to take Patch in the bedroom and needless to say I didn't get any sleep last night Patch was all over me all night lol Cats are a trip! Every thing is fine this morning except for my dog being mad at me cause he couldn't sleep by my bed lol Still don't know what was going on outside. I need to take this mommy cat to get her fixed, her owner isn't going to do it and the other kittens are going to the shelter today, I really hate seeing that and they said they have to go thru evaluations before they get adoppted, these other kittens won't let you catch them so I'm so afraid they won't pass, the girl that owns the kittens doesn't have anything to do with them and it's such a shame! She shouldn't even have these animals. I keep hoping that she says I can have the mommy cat but no dice, but she is here all of the time anyway so really I have three cats, I'm keeping two kittens, but one doesn't come in the house yet but Patch is my favorite and I just love him to death :) I'm just keeping her sister because they hang out together I don't want to split them up and all of this time I thought Patch was a male and he is a she or so the vet told me the other day LOL I had them wormed the other day and their first shots so it's been a rough couple of days but they are starting to get into trouble now and back to normal, whatever that is lol

Fairy, the seeds are for the blue-eyed grass :)

LeBug, you're an animal lover after my own heart...good luck with the kitty clan. I finally figured out what this "crying" screeching sound was that we hear from time to time and it is a red fox cry. Not because it is in danger or hurt but a cry to establish its territory. Google is so neat, I just goggled animal sounds and played them until I figured out the mystery. I was so upset by this cry when I would hear it. I thought it would have been of a ground hog or anything but a red fox; I was surprised.

I'm sending off more seedlings to another DGer in VA! Little by little but I still have flats all over!!!!!!!!

Did any of you guys notice my first article? It is in today's articles that are up. I'm really excited about getting published. If critter didn't help me, it would have taken me forever to format it etc, she is the best :)

Things are no well with flower-but not mu business to tell....

I HAVE THE NEATEST VOLUNTEER!!!

It is a almost grayish white violet?? w/ a very pale purple middle-after the sun goes down I will get a pic!!

Thanks Wind!!

Does anyone know how to collect mimilus seeds and pansy/violet seeds??

here is the viloet I was talking about

Thumbnail by Fairy1004

and a closer pic

Thumbnail by Fairy1004

I was wondering about violet seed collecting too....I have no idea how Weez did it! I still have some blooming but most are just withering away with no noticeable seed pods

Wind-isn't that one purdy!! It is much more grayinsh in person-so hard ot get a color like that in a picture...

Seandor, was your nicotiana lime from swap seeds? I love it!!! I started ours very late and I still have to transplant them. Your patch is really great :)

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Wind, check this out, when the violets form seed pods they are oval and they turn brown, they aren't small very noticeable then this is what they look like when they open and have the seeds in them if it doesn't show that page just scroll down and got to 'V' for violets, oh, there is a picture of the seed pod with the first violet and seeds picture :)

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/db22.html

I haven't even tried collecting the violet seeds yet, I just hope they aren't all gone by the time I get around to them, and I’ve been kind of busy again.

I'll have to check your article out :) I did and I loved it, very good Wind 8)

All three kitties have an appt. for getting fixed and Sophiera is mine now, Katie didn't like the vet bill, she said 'Can't they just put her down or to sleep or something!' I wanted to kick her you know what but I didn't say a word! But now I have three of the sweetest babies, I know she won't pay any money on the mommy, she couldn't possibly want her coming from what she said today and I have had her for the last year since they moved in and she knows I'll take her so I just figure from here on in she's mine 8) At the animal shelter where we took the kittens they will spay Sophiera for $6 and the kittens for $2 ea. I thought that was a good deal and it’s the lazer surgery but mommy’s vet bill was a little more lol

Fairy, love your little violet! Don't you just hate it when the camera doesn't cooperate lol

Seandor, I forgot to say congratulations on the awards! I was too busy looking at all of those purdy flowers!

My purple majesty is up about two inches now, I started it when someone on here was talking about theirs, I forgot LOL My grape 4 O’Clocks are just now sprouting lol I still haven’t planted the black and burgundy holly hocks or the sunflowers, it’s going to rain it looks like Monday so I think I’ll start those then :)

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Morning all!

Seandor, congratulations!

Fairy, it looks just like the violet "Penny Orchid Frost" I got from the swap. They are quite similar!

Thumbnail by Tuinkabouter
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone! I am now planning what I need to sow for next year.

Yesterday I potted up three spirea seedlings, 10 agastache apricot sprite, 5 baptista purple smoke, and oh! in the basement, I have some magenta hardy geraniums germinating. I am also trying some fresh hellebores seeds - not sure how long these will take to germinate!

Lebug - I love cats too - but I am not much of a dog person. Bless you for taking care of the mom cat.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 7:35 AM

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Please, somebody start a new thread. It taking forver to get this one to load.

A friend had a bunch of problems with deer eating her flowers and buds and stuff and she started putting fishing line down not to far from ground and back just a bit from her flowers and hasn't had any problem with them eating her stuff. She says the deers have poor eyes for somethings and because the fishing line is clear and they can't see it good, they won't walk over it. Just thought I would throw that out there for anybody having deer problems.

That's what I trying to do too, figure out what to start sowing for next year. Figure by the time the temps cool down some, they wil be big enough to go outside. That is if I cna keep the squirells out of the pots now. The nuts are ready, so while they munching down, they also busy hiding nuts for winter.

Tuin-that deos look like it, but noe of my violets made it and only 2 pansies made it-I have had some just popping up though-presents from the birda maybe:)

So the seed pods on violets are not w/ the flowers, but below the leaves??

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

new thread.... this one is getting LONG

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/878918/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.