Cacklin' thread for chick'n'chat

Foley, MO

They do that with some horse breeds also. For example, I had an Arabian that was referred to as an Alkumsa (SP?) Arabian. There are just Arabians as a breed, but the Alkumsa name referred to the line of Arabs, the family's line I believe.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2008 11:41 AM

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

it likely differs by region, i.e. how people talk....

yous guys get my drift? LOL

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

I guess I gotta retype tomorrow... Sorry... I hit send and it went the way of the winds...

I am up waaaay past bedtime since I have to be up at 5AM...
Yall have a good night and a wonderful day tomorrow....

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Well there is a breed of meat goat called a KIko. Maybe that's what it was? Honestly I read the publications from around the country and no one refers to the offspring of a particular buck as though it were a breed name.

MollyD

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

I think there are 3 "types" I have tried to seach for them but didnt find anything yet. What I am thinking is the region they are from. Like Africa and such. My brain is not working properly on this.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Boers were developed in South Africa. In the 1990's they imported some embryos. Later they found that the breed from SA wasn't hardy enough to take winters here so other breeds were mixed in. The they began to try and purify the breed and we've got what we have arrived at today.
Can't say about Kikos or Spanish (mostly found in the south west part of the country). I'm not familiar with their history.

MollyD

Cross breeding

While purebred bucks are usually preferred for breeding purposes, it is common to use crossbreed does for kid production, with the resulting offspring being 7/8 or more Boer. Common crosses are Boer x Spanish goat, Boer x Angora goat, Boer x Kiko goat, and Boer x Nubian goat.

Percentage Boer goats are very common in commercial meat herds, and with those just starting out in the Boer goat business due to ease of acquisition and affordability. Over time, percentage animals can be bred up to American purebred status. An American purebred is a Boer goat of 15/16ths Boer blood (for does) and 31/32nds blood for Boer bucks. Bucks must be one generation of Boer breeding higher then does to achieve this status because they have the potential to spread their genetic pool much further then any single doe; a higher level of Boer blood lessens the chances of other breed qualities in the offspring. American purebreds can never be registered as fullblood, many breeders will still use a good American Purebred buck with excellent results.

Many producers still prefer purebred or fullblood bucks and does, and intentional crossbreeding is far from universal.
copied of Wiki. and on that note take it for what its worth lol.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

L2G whose standards are you using for this? I go by the American Boer Goat Association. Here is a link to their standards for registration http://www.abga.org/pdfs/Rules-Regulations.pdf

Quoting:
E. REGISTRATION CRITERIA AND CONDITIONS
1. FULL BLOOD BOER GOATS - must have originated from 100% full blood stock, either imported or American born from imported genetics.a. Both Sire and Dam, of the animal being registered, must be registered in the ABGA full blood category unless imported as a live animal, or stock is derived from embryos or semen of full blood stock.
b. Proper pedigree papers of imported animals and/or progeny must be supplied to ABGA for full blood resignation to be made.

2. AMERICAN BOER GOATS - Must originate from the cross breeding of FULL BLOOD BOER BUCK or AMERICAN PUREBRED BOER BUCKS (see d. and e. below) with any other breed of goat
a. 1/2 Part-bred American Boer Goats-Does
Sire is an ABGA registered Full blood or American Purebred Boer goat and the dam is undecided, of unknown ancestry or of another breed.
b. 3/4 Part-bred American Boer Goats Does
Sire is an ABGA registered Full blood or American Purebred Boer goat and the dam is an ABGA registered ½ Part-bred American Boer goat.
c. 7/8 Part-bred American Boer Goats - Does
Sire is an ABGA registered Full blood or American Purebred Boer goat and the dam is an ABGA registered 3/4 Part-bred American Boer goat.
d. American Purebred Boer Goat Does (15/16 or higher Boer goat blood)
Sire is an ABGA registered Full blood or American Purebred Boer goat and the darn is an ABGA registered
7/8 Part-bred American Boer goat. DOES IN THIS CATEGORY (15/16 OR HIGHER BOER GOAT BLOOD) BECOME ELIGIBLE TO BE SHOWN IN THE SAME CLASSES AS FULL BLOOD BOER GOATS.
e. American Purebred Boer Goat Bucks (31/32 or higher Boer goat blood)
Sire is an ABGA registered Full blood or American Purebred Boer Goat and the darn is an ABGA registered
American Purebred Boer (15/16 or higher blood). BUCKS IN THIS CATEGORY (31/32 OR HIGHER) ARE ELIGIBLE TO BE SHOWN IN THE SAME CLASSES AS FULL BLOOD BOER GOATS. ONLY FULL BLOOD OR AMERICAN PUREBRED BOER GOAT BUCKS (31/32 OR HIGHER) SHALL BE USED
FOR THE PURPOSE OF DETERMINING PERCENTAGE IN SUBSEQUENT GENERATIONS.
f. Bucks of 15/16 or less Boer blood will not be eligible for registration. For these animals 1/2,3/4,7/8 or 15/16 Boer blood are eligible for a 'Record of Pedigree" certificate. This 'Record of Pedigree" will be issued after the proper documentation has been submitted with the buck's herd prefix, herd name and a three generation history.

I'm not sure where you are getting the information that you need to use a crossbred doe in order to get more kids. That is just not correct. Boers were bred to have multiple births since this was considered a plus factor for the meat industry.

My two does are 94% purebreds which is why I'm looking for either a purebred or fullbred to cross them to. Yes you can eventually over several generations work a percentage goat into purebred levels but given the cost of feed why bother? It's not any cheaper to feed one goat or the several you'll use to get to what that purebred will cost you. Plus you limit your market to the meat market since you won't be attracting the buyer who wants to breed and will spend big $ on their breeding stock. Using pure and fullbred I'm covering all aspects of the market producing goats for meat, breeding and pets. Instead of mostly meat.

MollyD

I am with you there Molly. Pure or full is the only way to go. Especially if you are going to sell them for profit in the future. For like showing and such. But if they are just for meat then the full or pure wouldn't matter much. Again that clip was from a Wiki and I have been told don't believe everything you read on one of them things.

Oh some warning here!!!!!!!!!!!
The babies are so cute and they are hard to get rid of on your part that is. You will want to keep them all. I named each and everyone of them. If I had to put numbers on it we probably had over 50 in the 3 yrs we had them. Started out with 12 females and 1 Billy boy. Our first ones born were December 26
the first 8 born were all boys. I thought we were never gonna get any girls. Them 8 boys, all become a great dish at our annual 4th of July BB-Q.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

an't recall where it started, but Granny had suggested someone actually PLACE their duck into the ponds, becaseu they weren't going in, pretyt sure it was LB's ducks...

anyhow, can verify this works for children as well!

i had the camera, but it wasn't charged!!!!!

we filled the wading pool and little boy was nto intereested. while i was away palnting or something, DH says our muscovy ducks came to inverstigate. they got in, so he got in to splash them out!!! happened three times and i missed it...

gonna be a busy bee today, ya'll have a great one!

tf

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

L2G I'm sitting here laughing cause it's already happening! We got the two boys and Paul says we have to sell one of them. We both agreed it would be Tommy cause we both really like Huck's personality. After we went to the auction and Paul saw what the really good quality bucks look like he said to me that he thinks we should keep both boys! LOL and he had accused me of being the one who would cave in and want to keep both of them!
Huck is the paint. Cute as a button (looks like he has brown leather boots on) and a very sweet disposition. Tommy is showing signs of being one fantastic buck good enough for showing. He's correct in color and has excellent form. He's a bit standoffish though. Petting is on his terms when he wants to. Other times he runs away so you can't touch him. It's going to be really hard to get rid of the kids. I'm hoping Milly has some boys with maybe one doe. Two boys and one girl would be fine by me.

MollyD

LOL, they are addicting. Another funny......... Last summer we had oh id say about 10 babies on the ground. The moms were all up on the land and the babies laying by the barn, with their babysitter, the TBBABG = The Big Bad A.. Billie Goat. Oh and he loves to drink beer. He would fight me for my beer.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

That was a nice buck to care for them while their moms took a break!

MollyD

He could be so mean at times, I have ran thru brambles before because he was hot on my heels, and even jumped a fence that i didnt think I still had in me to do at my prime age. But then seeing him with them babies stepping over them so gently. I hollered at him and said......... Billy you do have a heart. But of course they were not eating grain either. Or messing with HIS ladies.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Our bucks won't be anywhere near our babies. We're keeping them separated from the does and kids at all times aside from mating time. That way we'll have a good idea when to expect births. It's also important for registrations since you have to tell them when the buck was with the doe.

MollyD

agreed, mine were free for all.

TF your an enabler , !!! Let Dusty get settled in first lolol :) sheesh.
I don't have animals , i don't even have a fish in a bowl. DO kids ( human ) count ?
I do learn alot from these threads.
I m always calling TF with questions !!

Good morning...

Hey Sue...I hear we got hit hard up there with the storms last night...It was bad enough down here last night especially over in Xenia...I was worn out when I got home...Visibility was so bad, I was just waiting for someone to rear end me...It was a real mess...and we had another storm here about 4am...

My son will be here tomorrow night...Saturday is the big day...I may move the fish aquarium tomorrow night, and take them up there, and pick up the truck up there...
I have been watching the Freecycle sites, and I've seen alot of fencing, and wire lately, so getting that chicken pen built probably won't take too long...I need to watch for firewood, because I am going to need a bunch of it...

I am off to Springfield for a 10 am pickup, and I have to stay up there till she is done, and take her back home...

Have a great day everyone!!

Dusty i was thinking of you when the storm hit. I was hoping you weren't driving in it. Glad your safe !
Yes it was a doozy of a storm
my window with my AC flooded , ran out of towels, had to yank it out to close up the window. WE got i think 4 inches in 20 min yikes, not to mention the 4 other little storms we got they gave us a good 1/2 " each time it rained
Hey freecycle i think i need to look into tthat one
how are the chickens comming along TF?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

ENABLER???!!! ;-P~

i know for a fact, that the chicken pen gets built faster if the chicks are already brooding, esp in the hosue somewhere!

i lost a chick the other night, then yesterday one seemed weak. threw Zook & Yook out. i suppose they were tired of the noisy chicks, but that is no excuse to go nap under the kitchen table!!!

Eggplant doesn't like his new home, keeps breaking out. Sid & Nancy have been overfed so long, don't seem to care for the Milo, so now they have a nice GREEN carpet in their pen after all that rain... wish i could get things to grow that well elsewhere, S/N pen is rat proof!

freecycle is great! and other groups too! SEMIcycle, trash-treasure, etc...

LOL

Hugggs to all, and have a terrific Friday!! My Son will be here this tim Friday night and then the Party begins to get this move DONE...I can't believe it... 2 more sleeps, and I'm HOME at last!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

awesome!

ONE More Sleep TF....IF I can get a truck to move with!!! My Resv w/ Uhaul somehow mysteriously disappeared!!! I am livid!!! There are no trucks to be found ANYWHERE!! I have a guy in Springfield hunting for me.... This just can't be happening...

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

oh, no! hugs to Dusty!

Thanks TF.... I am just beside myself...

They have called all over the place, and there is nothing to be had until Sunday...
Boss is on his way to KY for the weekend...and I can't reach him at the moment... Looks like its going to be several trips in the Wheelie to get it done...IF he says its okay....I am just about fried...I have until Monday to be out of this house...My son just called and he is in Lima on his way down here from MI...Won't do any good unless I have something to load into...

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

gee whiz!

Dusty give me a call. I got a trailer we can use and i have two trucks !!!
Let me know lady. I don't mind. i can get the kids to my inlaws and be at your service in no time flat . got a full tank too. :)

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Now that is cool... I was thinking I would have to pay it orward this year by driving 4 hours to help Dusty... I would you know... but I am really glad an angel flew in.. just in the nick of time.

What a wonderful wonderful world...

You all are just toooo much....Frans... You are awesome!! Bless you for your thoughts!! What a love!!!

Sue.. I hate to a ask, but I just may need you....I am still trying to reach the Boss...

I hope you can find a truck. have you tried Springfield Hertz ? i on Bechtel rd . I think we got a truck there once.
But yes let me know ok. Glad to do it.:)
still have my number ?

Yep .. I think I do... but no luck yet...this is the last weekend of the month, and everything is long gone!!!

I never do trust them rental places. We have had some dumb luck with rentals . Dh being the one that uses them the alot. He has some stories to tell sheesh. Sometimes i wonder " do they just pick out the doofus of them all for employee's " ? i wonder.
take care
Call if you need me
sue

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

how about badseed? she is around you all and i KNOW she has trucks! well, not u-hauls, but she sure has hauled stuff...

best of luck guys!

tf

Thanks TF but Badseed is many miles away from me...

Novinger, MO(Zone 5b)

Dusty......I feel so bad that this happened to you. Please let us know how it is going.

I too had a bad experience with U-Haul. I made a phone reservation and put down a deposit on a truck, got to the dealership on moving day.......no truck. The guy told me that you should never make a phone reservation, that odds are really good the truck won't be there. He said you have to stop in and make the reservation at the place that has the trucks, in person. All I could think is, well gee, what good is that going to do me now? We were lucky enough that their smallest truck was available, but it took an extra day and many, many trips and of course more money.
I wish I had known you were using U-Haul, I could have warned you........for all the good it will do you now.

I know moving is horribly stressful anyway, and hopefully soon you will have all the help you need!
My thoughts are with you!

Christy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Last time I moved they gave me a truck that had a rear wheel with a bubble on the inside about to blow!! I stopped for some coffee and someone pulled in after me and told me about it. It was on the inside of the wheel so I couldn't see it when I walked around the truck. Called U-haul. It took 9 hrs for them to send someone out to verify that the tire was about to explode and put a new one on. At that point I found myself driving this truck at night across the state by myself. I was furious! They all stink!

MollyD

Good Morning!!! And Yes , It IS a GOOD morning....We have a truck...I am off to go pick it up....and thanks to the mess up.. I do not have to pay any mileage!!!

We have no internet from tonight on till Monday, so I will try to check in before we make the last trip...

Thank you all for your kind thoughts!!

Dusty

YEah Dusty
congrats on finding a truck. !!
Good luck with your move :)

Novinger, MO(Zone 5b)

YIPPEEEE! Thank goodness they pulled through and threw in a freebie for your trouble. I'm so glad it's going to work out after all! The computer the last thing to unhook, huh? lol
I would probably do the same thing.....and my DH would want to strangle me for it. : )

Good luck and hope its not too hot.....or rainy today.

Christy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.