I CAN - tell us what you CAN do #2

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure.... I remember somebody's Ex filed a complaint, saying she was a risk driving, was that you? I can't remember!!! Sorry, I also suffer from CRS.

My husband helped years ago get a lady disciplined at Department of Motor Vehicle because she put restricts on ANYONE she saw as "disabled", whether their disability was an issue or not!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

YES, that was I! I passed the test!!! Haven't figgered out how to recover the $500 on renting the adapted car with the dual controls to take the test in yet, but I am even more legal than legal.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

I found something I can do to help DH while building our new home. I can hold the tape measure for him and I can lift one 2x4 at a time and put on my golf cart until I have 5 or 6 and haul them to concrete slab so he doesn't have to stop and walk across yard to get them. I wait to see where I can make it easier on him and I adapt the chore to fit my limitations caused by fibromyalgia. Thank goodness my cart is electric or I would have to make less trips. I can haul alot of things on that baby. Buckets of water and nails, or lumber but I am contributing and it feels good. I may pay for it in shoulder pain from lifting but I felt so good to find something I can do to help. It was so hot today on that concrete slab and I wanted to help him so much. I thought " I think I can, I think I can" the whole time I was loading and unloading. Have a good week.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

You've made me smile today, thanks for sharing.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I can plant 1 plant at a time , prepaaring its hole welland mmixing lots of sant peat,toopsoin, etc tomake just that plants hole good. It's just that I have about 30 planats that weren't free and if they dodn't get into the soin soon they will die. I cant afford that even @ a50% off from Bluestone, I spent a heftay penny on my order.
My pain and stiffness have made it difficult to just do the basics around the house. And I do mean the basics---out of bed , to little rm, to kitchen, let dog out, feed cats, feed fish, feed Bluebirds their mealworms and spend a little time on athe deck enjoying them. Back inside. Exhausted. Short nap. UP , etc, etc, etc....that is very discouraging.
The VA has changed to a different generic pain patch and it doesnt stick if I'm at all active + it only lasts for 2 days instead of 3 (they're to be changed every 72 hrs) I looked online and this is a common complaint for this brand. ANyway I have been living with excruciating breakthru pain since May and the VA basically ignores me. Finally there is going to be a Pharmacy and team review to hopefully put me on the brand name type that will work 72 hrs like its supposed to . Man our Govt shafts us VETS, regarding medical care just to save a couple cents, yet they waste our $'s in so many places. (OK, Sheri, get off of the soap box)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

The gov't shafts a lot of folks. Disabled people have a higher cost of living than ordinary people (been proven by people who study things like that) yet SSDI cost of living increase for disabled people is less than the rise in cost of living. So we're getting farther and farther away from being able to make ends meet. People on Social Security Disability Income have earned their right to an income - we're not asking for a handout!

Sheri, as I'm sure you know, if you can't stay ahead of the pain, you need that much more drug to get "comfortable" again. . . who are they kidding about saving money? Money is saved with upstream, preventive interventions, not downstream, after-the-fact, scrambling to catch up ones! [Looking desperately for way off of soap-box. I think I'm stuck up here!! Helllllllllp!]

On three, everyone give Carrie a shove: one...two...three! haha, glad we could help you.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks guys! I absolutely get by with a little help from my friends. . .

Thanks for the laugh, friends. That ws such a gr8 shove that it got me off of my bos too. Thankyou ;-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

does this mean you are speechless?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, me, never, I had put a grin in there but used < that kind > of character which i guess is actually part of an html command. It didn't post. I said "< grin >".

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Speechless and I don't go together very well.

ROFL & obviously TF4W

I can be supportive & loving to others in spite of feeling hurt and forgotton
I can focus on the + instead of the -
I can see that the glass is either 1/2 full or 1/2 empty and accept that the decission is up to me
I can guird up myself with armor of the mind and spirit that WILL keep me in good stead
I can love myself even when I feel like there is only me
I can know that there is 1 greater than I who is ALWAYS there and always loving me and always wanting my best (even though events may not look that way)
I can know that, just like the 4 people describing a house from different windows,... that things are not always the way that I see them
I can rest in peace, knowing that I am protected because of faith in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ

This message was edited Jul 22, 2008 12:34 PM

This message was edited Jul 30, 2008 11:24 PM

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Gee guys, another great thread and boy do i need it. LOL.One of my favorite sayings is 'My glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's right on the dividing line and i'm a realist. ; )

I wanted to suggest to birdieblue that sometimes boyscouts are more than willng to help out with gardening for handicapped people to earn badges. I just learned about it and have'nt tried but may sometime.

Since carrie got off her soap box(with a little help from her friends)i wont go into my feelings about SSI.

I love having quotes at the end of a post.Other people say things so much better than i do esp GOD.
vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh Vickie, I wasn't even talking about SSI but about SSDI, but 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

I guess you're not shy about posting any more!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Please see my n-e-w thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/890417/

I'm excited (sore too, but...) I cleaned my bathroom today , maybe no big deal to many, but I had not scrubbed my tub in...I cant remember...only the bottoms of my feet touch, so it hasn't matter. My sink was horrible too. Well now I have a shiny
tub, sink and commode (which I do clean on occasion). I cant remember when my bathroom looked nice. Now on to the rest of the house. Someday I will be able to open the front door to visitors, but not quite yet. However...I know that I CAN do it!!

My sweet husband cleans the bathroom when he takes a bath. I think that is so sweet! I am so blind without my glasses that I can't see how bad it's getting unless I make an effort to remember to pull back the shower curtain and LOOK with glasses!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's very sweet AND clever! He's a keeper.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I CAN keep my house cleaner thanks to small handheld type vaccums with handles so they are more like vaccum brooms.

I CAN can fruit this fall for the first time in 4 years or more. I can hardly believe the amount of canning I have been doing. Today I'll start on apples. I want to make a big apple crisp to take to a DG RU on the 27th. I'll put it in the freezer.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It has taken me all day because I don't seem to be able to concentrate on one job very well but I have the dressers in the bedroom cleaned. Now I need to put back the things I'm keeping. I did throw out a lot of stuff.

I also pulled up the vinyl in some of the hallway areas. Now it will be very dark in most of the hallways because of old hardwood floors but at least I got the dirt out from under it. It wasn't sealed down all the way so a lot of dirt got under it. That should help eliminate some of the hidden allergens.

WOW pulling up the hall vinyl was a nasty hard job. I'm sure it will help.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Pulling up the vinyl was really easy, Psychw2, because as I said, it wasn't fastened down most of the way down the hall. There is some tape on the end that is going to be something else to get up unless paint remover will do it. I put it down many years ago and remember how sticky it was when it was new and I didn't get it positioned correctly and had to try to move it. Now that was a job!!!

I'm going to start looking at vinyl and see what new vinyl will cost. I have a loan to get paid off and then I'll take out a new one and put down new vinyl and hopefully paneling on the walls at the same time. Otherwise I'll do the walls first. I think that is the order I'll do them. I may change my mind.

Home projects, I LOVE them! We just bought a great product for our back splash. I can't wait to get it all installed. It was reasonably priced 2' x 4' and only $12 per sheet plus shipping was too bad. We'll get the kitchen complete for about $70 and it will look like tin tiles.

We are slowly getting this place whipped into shape. I can't wait for the last of the hopelessly outdated wallpaper to be replaced or painted over!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have seen those tin tiles in catalogs. I hope you get it done soon so you can really enjoy them.

What I like about this product is that it comes in 2 x 4, instead of individual tiles so its easier to install. I have been ripping out over head cupboards and base cabinets. My husband slowly gets the new ones up as he has time, we will install me faces on all of them, white bead board with trim. We also hung a pot rack (I've never had one) and I LOVE it!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It sounds very antique and rustic, psychw2. I've never had a pot rack either but I sure think they make a kitchen look nice and homey.

Does anyone have an idea on a way to cover bumpy blown on ceiling stuff? It is in my kitchen and is impossible to clean. Help!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I would suggest some kind of paneling made for ceilings. Or have it replastered in a smooth finish. Those are the only 2 ways I can think of at this time. I hope this helps you.

See this link: http://www.surfacingsolution.com/TinCeilings.htm I've bought it to use as a back splash in my kitchen. I have not installed it yet, we are still in middle of installing upper and lower cabinets and it will be WEEKS ( if not months) before we get to the back splash. DH works more than 40 hours per week AND goes to school full time.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It sounds as tho your DH needs to clone himself to get everything done!! No wonder it takes so long to get the house projects finished.

Cathy, that sounds like a possible solution for you.

My Angel is a Work-aholic. I knew that when I married him 2 years ago, nothing has changed and I didn't expect it to. He has a heart of gold, so when someone is in need he is the first to volunteer. I feel like Scrooge since I remind him, "Honey, do you have time to get your homework done if you help so&so with that?"

The popcorn stuff can be dangerous to take off if it has asbestos in it. I do know people who protected their floors and HOSED it with water, then took a scraper to it. NOT a good idea if there is asbestos. I don't know if you can take a sample somewhere and have it tested.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I wouldn't try to remove it. If I plastered it would be over it. Or maybe new plaster won't stick to it. No, removeing it would be a real mess and as you mentioned possibly dangerous.

Have you thought about lowering it just enough to put in the tiles that fit into metal/plastic squares? I don't know what they are really called. You wouldn't have to give up more than an inch. Or at least I don't think you would. That would also give you a chance to put in recessed ceiling lights if you wanted to.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2008 9:30 AM

well, my budjet can afford a can of paint and not much more, so that kind of project is out. Great idea though.

BOY do I understand the budget constraints! I'd be tempted to have the popcorn tested, if it doesn't have the asbestos, I'd take it down by wetting it and scraping it. I've painted popcorn before, its NEARLY has messy as taking it down!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Uck, but I do envy those with ceilings high enough to consider lowering or plastering. Sounds like you folks with this "bubble" stuff are in a real predicament.

Psych, oh boy, my DH is only working 30 hours and going to school FT! What a wimp he is! (Don't let him hear me say that.) On the other hand, he has a 4.0 GPA. (Aren't I ridiculous... I CAN't get a 4.0 in different subjects.)

Wow, those panels are beautiful. We tried scraping for all of 3 seconds, no way, what a mess. Guess I'll have to start saving, the panels sure would look nice. Thanks for the help!

Before you scraped, did you WET IT down well? It will come off much easier if you get it good and wet. My friend started with a spray bottle, a foot at a time. She decided to heck with that! Cleared the room and used a hose after covering the floor with a huge tarp. There certainly is no EASY and clean way to get rid of that stuff. Amazing to think it was once all the rage!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.