my garden is finally set up

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

this is my 'container garden' and this shot was taken from the kitchin window. its a lot easier to garden when the plants are this close.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

this is one of my three artichokes. i have never grown these babies so i don't know what to expect.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

this is the bib bomb cherry peppers. you can see that one of them has turned red already.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i put both ultra hot peppers (bhut jolokia's in one pot and will hope for the best.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

heres the basil. its called lettuce leaf basil and i hope that means it will get big leaves.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

and my eggplants. i grewt two types. one regular eggplants and the other the elongnated style

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

and finally the tomatoes. i have flowers on some of them. i have sun golds, goliath, mortgage lifter brandy wine and spring giant

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Looking good Frank! You show that people who want to grow even a little bit of their own food can find an easy and convenient way. Good luck with all of them!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks

Rochester, NY

What a nice simplistic, yet effective setup. Plants look to be in great shape too.....are those from seed or did you buy some flats? I also wondered about your hose system, is that a sprinkler hose and you have one hole lined up for each pot?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i started everything from seed. its a soaker hose and i made two holes on opposite sides of each container and then ran the hose through it. i have used this method for a few years now but i just realiZed my liefe would be made easier if i just made the large holes more to the side instead of down the middle. if i did that i wouldn't have to worry about disturbinbg the plant while they are growing. next season i will add more holes on the sides.

i attached mjy soaker hose to a timer and it goes off each day at 8 a.m. i have been running it for two hours but mayube i will go to 1 hour this year or maybe even 1/2 hour.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Herbie, looking good. I hope they grow a foot today on your Birthday and no weeds, ever.

Your set up has amazed me now for a couple of years. You are very clever. I even planted tomatoes and other veggies because of your enthusiasm last year in a rather limited way and in the traditional way. This year we enlarged the bed and made a more organized attempt to plant a wider range of vegetables. I hope to have tons of tomatoes for the table and later for putting up sauce.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and for the kind offer to our son if he ever needed anything while living in your area and going to school at CIA. He graduated with both a pastry and culinary degrees last Aug. He has moved to New Orleans and is working as a chef at The Restaurant August. We took a trip in April to see him, go to Jazz Fest and to eat. We loved all three.

I know you will be dinning well tonight on your birthday. I would send you a picture of a fat juicy tomato, but alas, none yet. So I am sending you a picture of a tomato red orchid in my kitchen now. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Herbie:

You are one creative guy!!!!!!

I always look forward to viewing your pics

BB

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Great idea with the hose!!!!!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
bhut jolokia's in one pot and will hope for the best

Bhuts seem to like containers. I kept one in a 7" self-watering pot for months and then a few weeks ago put it in a 15 gallon grow bag. Flowering all the time and I think a few fruits have set:

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I can attest to Frank's creativity, ingenuity, good taste, and gorgeous plants! (Also to his wife's culinary skills!) They were kind enough to have me over for dinner last week, and it's hard to tell which had me salivating more - the food or the plants!!!

Ok - the salmon and cream chees pizza probably won the contest, but no lie - those tomato plants have FAT, STURDY stems! I think they could withstand a hurricane. And they look so neat and uniform, too. Good thing he's such a great guy or I'd have to hate him!!!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Sequee, Lucky you. Pizza sounds like a great combo. Any tomatoes on it?

David_Paul, How do those grow bags work. It seems like I could expand the veggie beds a lot by using them around the out side edges if they are self contained and the roots don't need to go into the ground. Could I grow egg plants and peppers in them? Intrigued. Patti

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah!!! It was soooooo good.

I've tried the Topsy Turvy's and if you have the hanging space, they are a blast to use. They grow into real cool configurations and are surely the talk of the town. I grew them off the porch when I was at the Adult Day Care Center and they were very productive. Just one tiny negative. You must be VERY diligent in your watering because they can't catch the rain water and don't have a reservoir to feed from.

You were at an adult day care????

I thought you were just 21 :-)

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

bbrookrd....the grow bags worked well last summer. Grew squash, lemon cukes and some herbs in them. As you suggested, I didn't want to take room up in the garden. This year trying peppers and eggplants (funny you asked!). The white easi-lift bags are a few bucks more than the black ones but they are lasting two seasons for me. Have a brugmansia in one of them. Made it easy to cart the brug down into the basement for the winter and 15 gallons is large enough so I didn't have to repot this spring. Another good point is you can move things such as brugs around (wouldn't try squash!) for both appearance and to find the most suitable light. You do have to watch water and fertilizer (it washes out fast with heavy feeders like squash and brugs in there). I use a mix of dirt, manure and potting mix in the bag (whatever is around basically) and that holds water well enough so I don't have to water everyday.

'Jerad's Joy' in a 15 gallon grow bag:

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the information. There is a grow bag coop going on tonight. I think I will try some. Patti

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I conducted a Green Gardens Club for Seniors and folks with "issues". Honest...I wasn't an inmate!

D_P - What a gorgeous brug! I am so looking forward to seeing what comes out this year.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

patti - nice picture. congrats on having a chef in the family. hope you didn't haveto pay for your meal at the resturant.

bb- thanks and i love all of yours

davic paul - that is one heck of a plant. it looks huge.

sequee - as a matter of fact the plants did withstand quite a storm with visual bad effects. however, if you ever want to see a veggie garden then go to lake carmel where sequee lives. i was there and believe me she has a real garden. i guess you have to when you grown 52 different types of tomatoes peppers, herbs, eggplants and for crying out loud she even grows tons of radishes. LOL

bb - believe me, i thought she was 21 before i first met her but after that i figured she just gradulated high school. shes a doll.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2008 7:33 AM

Hey Herbie:

Didn't she have to babysit some of your seedlings this winter?

I seem to remember her having all types of plans to kidnap some of them

BB

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

yea, she was nice enough to offer to take care of them for me adn she did a very fine job. not one seedling passed on. to thank her i gave her a couple of my eggplants.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, and they were lovely! A full foot high and very robust when the brugs decided to share their aphids! One went to the great beyond, but the other appears to be coming back. Who knew the aphids would do such an evil thing in their dormant stage. And who knew brugs were so incredibly fold of eggplant??? Surely not me!!! Every year I swear "no more bruggie buggies, then I see the gorgeous flowers and I lose all resolve!

Next year after I spray them down, I will put them in the other side of the basement. I don't know if they will be ok in the cooler room, but I can lose my veggie babies. They are my first love!

This is the one that bit the dust!!! (Photo taken in late April.)

Thumbnail by Sequee
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

there is always next year.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

heres the latest from my container garden. the first pic is of my sun gold. you can see the tiny tomato just now growing.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

this is the first hansel eggplant.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

my lettuce leaf basil

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

these are the big bomb cherry peppers. i already took some red ones off and they are a lot hotter than i thought they would be. the package mentioned mildly hot.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

here are the bhut jolokia's which i was having trouble with. i tried to take a pic of what i am sure are the beginning of flowers on these plants

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

these are the two plants in the 5 gal container. they are looking nice and health now.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

finally, here is the artichoke plant.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Herbie,
AWESOME as usual! I'm growing tomatoes and peppers in 5 gal. buckets this year and toms and corn in Earthboxes. So far so good! Here's my corn as of 2 days ago:

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

oops!

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Herbie, looking great. I had a great breakfast pizza at the Big Sur Bakery two years ago at a Sunday brunch. Divine. "Wood fired bacon, egg & Mozzarella breakfast pizza"

Here is a picture.

http://tasteofthesuburbs.blogspot.com/2007/01/eating-elsewhere-carmel.html
Not so healthy, but a real treat. Patti

David_Paul, I am ordering some 10 gal grow bags today to try around the veggie bed. Brugs scare me. Too addictive, I fear. Thanks, Patti

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

tommy - never tried corn when i had my regular garden adn didn't think you can grow them in containers.

patti - sounds delicious but couldn't find the picture.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Herbie, second picture on site or do in edit a "find in this page" word search for Sur. Be ready to drool. Patti

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

very nice patti. i could smell the bacon from here. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.