Crassula corymbulosa

(Zone 6a)

There is a discussion on other forum regarding correct spelling of this plant (I asked question on the dormancy and grows habit of it and this is how the whole discussion started). Anyway, question to the experts here. Is it corymbulosa or coryambulosa? Another suggestion was that it is capitella subsp. thyrsiflora.
Thanks!

Valley Village, CA

I would respond to you perssonally, but I think the other forum should look up and research their own spellings. These people didn't respect my opinion when I was a member of their forum. They certainly know more than we do, and I would think there would be one book among them. Crasulady

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

Hi Vera,
and why don't you believe Mr. Toelken?
The correct spelling is Crassula capitella ssp.thyrsiflora.
C.corymbulosa is an outdated synonym.
Maddy

(Zone 6a)

Hello, Maddi! I am a complete novice in growing succulents, that's why I do believe everybody. But when you have three different opinion it is hard to chose which one to believe more. I didn't know who Mr. Tolkein is.
But thanks for clarification!

Kamloops, BC(Zone 4b)

Dear Maddy,

Thanks for the clarification, both here and at the other place. Now if I can just train myself to say and spell it correctly.

Kamloops, BC(Zone 4b)

Dear Norma,

Just to let you know you're missed at the other place, too. There are folks there that respect your opinions, and I am looking for the ones that don't so they can be found and get their whupping.

Valley Village, CA

Hi Jeff, I'm just fine here, and really love the group. No nasty people.
Crassula corymbulosa (Dr.Toelken) is truly a syn. however when going over old catalogues I find two different capitella pictured as a plant with the same name, different catalogues.
As it is now we/I don't have a picture or plant in front of me that is being discussed. So now you have it in a nut shell. Books are great, but without the picture or the flowers we are right back where we started. One has the common nick name of 'Pagoda Village' according to the index cards at the Huntington, the actual plant they are referring to is also a ? Crasulady

Valley Village, CA

Dr. Tolken with .. over the o is a man who earned his doctorate in So.Africa for doing research on the species of Crassula. It took him 10 years, and the book was published in November 1985. The cost is about $12.00 and can be obtained at any Cactus and Succulent Book Store. His name was changed it was Toelken.

He is a very honest man and addmits that more studies need to be done. There will be a new book coming out with pictures for us, written by Gordon Rowley of England.
Crasulady

(Zone 6a)

I finally posted picture of it in Photos forum.

Valley Village, CA

I did see the photo and that is exactly what I have as the same plant. The name that you are is using is perfectly acceptable, Maddy has also made a very correct name, put the (corymbulosea) after the correct name that Maddy suggested. I have one that I named (Firecracker) just so my boss and I know which one we are talking about. There is also a (Firechief) (Campfire) these are all cv. of course and selections, variegations. Crasulady

Valley Village, CA

Vera, One of the pictures in "Succulents 11 The New Illustrated Dictionary" by Maurizio Sajeva, shows this plant. It is not a good picture but at least the name is correct. It is stretched out, geting ready to flower, it should be a more intense red in color this time of year. It needs more sun.
The Crassulas that are named are about 50% correct, but its better than nothing. Other species, photos by Americans are very accurate. I also have a C. capitela variety which we call 'Fire Chief'and Firecracker', one with pink flowers which hasn't been given a nick name yet (which we use for reference only)This plant as a woody base, and a short peduncle, my new word (flower stem) with pink tightly packed rose colored flowers. The leaves shorter and they turn maroon in winter.
When you gave me the old name of C.corymbulosa it gave me a reference point for research, so anyway these phony names do serve some purpose, as well as cause some confusion. All of you are right. If the name helps you identify a plant why not use it. We are all hobbyist, not botanist. As long as Maddy in Africa and Clara in England can understand what we are talking about, that's what it's all about. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I just found an old catalogue dated 1981 Altman Specialty Plants where it has the plant in question is called C. turgida,with a picture, it is also a correct syn. it is never used at this time.
C. corymbulosa is the most common name used for this plant, so it is acceptable. Juat a reminder it is of the group C. capitella v.trysiflora which there are about 10 or more forms, varieties, cultivars, natural hybrids.
I will now go back to my 1964 catalogue and see what it was called then, and keep going back further. Corrections are allowed to be made if a mistake was made. Crasulady

Valley Village, CA

This plant is propagated after the flowers dry up. Cut the penduncle off close down to the base leaving about 1" even little bits of leaves will roots down. Give full sun, and little water until you see new growth. If you want a lot of these, use a flat with newspaper on the bottom, fill with a very porus soil, then set the leaves, stem, and parts on the top of the soil until they root in, start to water and fertilize immediately. It is a winter grower. Most Crassula are winter growers, that does not mean they need lots of water. Water only when dry. I will cut mine in about 2 weeks. Lovely in dish gardens because of their color. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Found something that might be of interest regarding C. corymbulosa. I found this name in the Grigsby Wish Book dated 1974. It went by the name of "Chinese Pagoda" this is the only place that I have found this name used. Please note the date. Norma

Valley Village, CA

C. corymbulosa I found the name of sp. 'Pagoda Village' in
Abby Garden Catalog 1983

This puzzle does not end here, as you will see it does continue. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Hi Vera,

Here is another mention of this plant with a picture included. This nursery was owned by the very famous John Bleck of miniature Aloe fame. Abby Gardens 1976

Crassula turgida, widely known as a dwarf form of C. corymbulosa. This still doesn't mean any of these are correct at this time. Norma

Valley Village, CA

This plant may have the flowers stalks, (inflorescens) cut off in about 2 weeks or when dry, now you may start the the heads all over again for next year, or leave it as a clump. With the heads cut off it will just thicken the clump. Norma

(Zone 6a)

Norma, thanks for your constant update! I didn't understand the cutting flower influorescent part. If I cut it after it dryes, how can it be propagated (did I understand correctly that I can just put the flower stalk into the soil and it will grow?) Will it have new grows where I cut the stem or stem will grow thicker, without new grows on top? Also, can I cut the stem while it is still flowering to propagate it?
Sorry for stupid questions!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.