hold on michigan

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We had a shower yesterday morning and after it ended we headed out to the veggie garden to hoe. I'm so glad Vern retired so I have a buddy to hoe with. Everything looks great. All the seeds have germinated and are up and growing and all the plants are thriving. I want to mow some more today and weed the flower bed. I made the mistake of letting Vern hoe some weeds in a little narrow bed out by the road and I had to leave to mix up some Liquid Fence. When I came back he had hoed the daylilly and the phlox. :( I guess I need to teach him the difference between a weed and a flower. :) They'll come back. He just hoed their little heads off.

Have a great day everyone! It's supposed to get hot according to news with more rain coming in thru Sunday.

Brenda

Clarkston, MI(Zone 5b)

This is a photo of our 150 yr. old Red Oak tree which was damaged during last Sunday's (6-9-08) windstorm.
After having to take down the entire tree, we discovered 4 other trees felled during the storm by the oak.
Our plantings so far seem to be surviving, but our shade garden is now a sun garden.

Thumbnail by nanabest1
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh my!!!

It is always sad to get tree loss. You think about how many years and how many storms, ice, wind, etc, that the tree withstood in the past. Sorry to have you loose such a beautiful tree.

We had some hail last night, about bean size, but not too bad. Sure have had a bunch of rain though! Still pretty nice weekend. The rain seemed to work around our outtings. We were still able to canoe, go fishing, get some yard work done and relax on the deck with a cold one.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

That is too bad about your tree. I lost a tree years ago at our other house that made my shade garden a sun garden too. I was surprised that everything did OK in the sun. Lots of plants are put into the catagory of shade because they can stand it.............not because they prefer it. My hydrangea needed more water being in sun but still bloomed just beautifully and did well. Hostas did fine also.

We sure have had plenty of thunderstorms and rain. I'm glad for the rain. I don't have to run around watering everybody every day which is a pain. Yesterday I bought a Bloodgood Japanese maple tree and planted it by our deck. Got it at Home Depot of all places. It is just beautiful. I hope it lives. It's in a little nitche sort of protected by the deck and house. We'll see.

Today I'm digging up a smoke tree I bought last year at Rogers. It died right down to the ground but is coming back up from the roots. They guarantee their trees and I complained I didn't buy a one foot tree. I bought a 7 foot tree and need shade now. They said they'd replace it and I am also keeping what's left of this one. I'm moving it today. I chose to replace it with an ornamental cherry tree which will provide a bit more shade I think. I have one already and it's doing great here so I know it likes my soil and conditions. Not sure what killed the two smoke trees I bought. The one died right away. I hope what's left of this one survives. They do make a pretty tree if they "take".

Had my first salad out of the little kitchen garden I planted in an old antique galvanized double washtub by the back door. It's so nice to step out and snip lettuce, onions, radishes etc. and make a fresh salad out of it all. Looks cute too.

Have a great day everyone. It's supposed to get up to around 68 today I think. Nice cool weather.

Brenda

Westland, MI

Way cool pics.

I was in Oscoda when the tornado blew through Standish. Quite a storm. We got a light show and some heavy downpour, but not a lot of wind.

On the homefront in Westland it's rained every night for a week. A big savings when the water bill comes I hope! We had some strange weather last night. It was looking ominous, so we tied everything down, put the patio furniture away and all we got was a heavy downpour for about 5 minutes and it was over.

I'm happy to hear that everyone is weathering the weather alright. As long as there is only property damage, we can be thankful.

Brenda, you really shouldn't drive so fast!...Ha ha ha! I know about that though. I was in town and heard the warning on the radio on my way back to Jan's. I have to admit that I picked up some speed as did almost everyone else on the road. That's when you can tell who has their radio on and who doesn't.

Lena

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We just got over another storm. I have never seen so much rain like we've been having. So different from last year's drought conditions. Least I don't have to water. Haven't had the garden hose out in a month.

South Rockwood, MI(Zone 5b)

I know what you mean, my waterbill is gonna be half of what it was last year, I'm also having a major toad infestation in my yard, like ten a day, but they're so cute:) So I'll let 'em stay:)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

no rain here yet I think I might have to water be for I leave for vacation tomarrow its dry here ;0(
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We have had 3 or 4 dry days now. And yesterday was hot, hot, hot. Cooled off nicely for sleeping though.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

been dry here too and HOT like i luv it!!! summer time in michigan!!!!

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori, its good to see you posting, was wondering bout you the last few days, good to see you are surviving ^_^ know you been cooling off in your pool after working all day long...

Its been stormy on and off here. Nice for most of the day, then a storm would whiz thru. But mostly just straight down pours, Yesterday it got real windy then the winds died down and we got the down pout, Its been really hot and muggy here today and Ken got the grass mowed and I got the big bed weeded out, fixing to go weed the lasagna bed out here in a bit before Stacey comes to get here plant and seeds...

Got the house all cleaned and almost ready for our trip, just got the last minute things to do now. whew, I didn't think I was ever gonna get caught up. Well I will be very scarce for the next couple of days we are leaving Monday for pigeon forge, will be gone for like 10 days. don't know if I will be able to connect once we get where we're going or not. So you all have a great time.

Connie

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Another storm going on now. Supposed to be storming on and off all evening. Rain, rain go away!!!! Way too much. Once a week would be just ideal.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well its really dry here in Plainwell we could really use the rain. Suppose to rain tonight sure do hope it does. It been raining all around us but hardly any here. Come on rain I want you... LOL. Dancing around. Have a great weekend, Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

omg what a night
we went to the Loons game in the company suite and the game was great and i got some great pics with lou e loon and a autographed hat(s) and we made it till the end of the 5th inning and then the weather turn and the rains came and lightning and thunder and then it POURED and it got dark and we made a run for the car and got down the road and there was a tree down across 2 of the 3 lanes and you could barely see to drive. Thats when we figured out that Dh had set the camera down that i gave him to carry -so we called one of the guys and they grabbed it for us=so i got my pics and my camaro keys!!!!! BUT the rain we got up here is nuts-flash flood warnings, the roads were bad all the way home!!!
OH ya the LOONS won and Loue loon signed my hat---to my #1 fan! ^_^

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

That was some story Dori. Glad you all made it out alright. We must have got the same flooding rain because our fields are still holding puddles of water.

I must make it to one of those Loon games. That Loue loon must be a relative of ours and I need to meet him. :)

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well we finally got some rain here suppose to get somemore too!!! Really glad to give the garden hose a break.

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

its stormed every day down here just about 3-5 then its nice,, now its cooled off!! downed to 73... nice to sleep

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, it has been great sleeping. 49' this morning outside and 61' inside. When I shut the windows, DH asked why? sheesh.

I don't mind the colder weather though. I am loving it. I know Dori is hating it.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It got down to 45 here last night. I'm sure my tomatoes and pepper plants aren't happy about that. They love the heat. I'm fine with it though. Good sleeping weather. Today we're going to harvest our broccoli and put it in the freezer. I have tons of it. I have to get my seal a meal thingy out and see if I can remember how it works. :) First we need to quickly clean out the freezer from last summer. I need to finish weeding the flower bed. I have some grass growing in there that doesn't belong. If we don't play out we need to cut the grass inside the fence at least. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow.

Have a great day.

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

just got home from Flertchers Pond what a great time we had now you want to talk about RAIN those people don't need any more for a week or two!!! the wind was a little scrie at times also well got to go unpack
Gloria

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Well the weather channel says we are in for some severe weather later on today. I wish it would just rain and not storm like this.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome back Gloria. Hope you had a good trip.

I heard we're supposed to get a bad storm. They were talking about it in the doctor's office this morning. I sure hope we don't get hail to pound the plants and beat them up. Hubby is quickly mowing inside the fence right now.

I'm glad for the rain but can do without any drama. The ditches are full and the ground is saturated. I'm growing mushrooms!! I hope everyone stays safe. Maybe it will blow over us.

Brenda

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I know how to tell if its going to rain!!!!

Look around the town and if everyone is mowing, then rain will come in the next day!
LOL

we didn't get it too bad. About 4" of rain, no hail thank god. and winds only about
30-40 mph. My trees didn't fall down.

WE cooked the brats and the kielbasa on the stove though, barbequing was not an
option.

My Mastiff Atti, is terror stricken in the thunder and lightning. Poor dear.

Here's a picture of the lightning today. I am getting good at catching
lightning, and with a 12 year old camera too! DH says I should send this
picture to wxmi.

In fact, I got two tonight, one of the double lighting of two clouds, and
the other one of Pink lightning! amazing.
I am fast!
sher

Thumbnail by WigglyPaw
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

how amazing is that !!!!I love to watch lightning
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Great catch on the lighting. That is a hard picture to get. Very nice.

I no longer have a rain gauge, but we must have gotten quite a bit of rain too. We went for a walk last night and the creek was up a couple inches. It doesn't change unless we really get a whopping rain. Has to be 4" or more.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Sher,

That is the coolest picture! I think you should submit it and also frame it for your house.

I don't know how much rain we got but the ground took it up and there are no puddles in the fields. The ditches are full though. We have been wanting to mow our ditches and clean them up but every time we start to do it we get distracted doing something else and then it rains and they're too wet again.

I heard it's going to stay dry till after Sunday. Great weekend for the holiday. Monday will be our 36 year wedding anniversary. Our son got us two tickets to Charity Island and gave them to us. Actually, he bartered his plumbing with the owner to get the tickets. He knew I wanted to go last year but my husband thought it was too much money. :) Now, I get to go. Yea! I'm really looking forward to it. I hope the weather is good on Monday.

What is everyone doing for the 4th?

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well just like to day I'll be working to day was a 10 hr day and I'll probubly work 10 - 12 tomarrow we are having company over to go out on the lake to see the fire works I think I'll sleep on the pontoon I have to work on saterday also I am not fond of the 4th of July unless I had it off then it would be great have fun be safe ;0)
Gloria

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Happy Anniversary Brenda. We are having sort of a family reunion at my cousins tomorrow. She lives on a lake and it is real nice and quite. No motors are allowed on the lake and fishing is good. Hope everyone has a super holiday.

Cindy

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Happy Anniversary Brenda. DH and I just had our 12th yesterday!

Kalamazoo, MI

Happy Anniversary to you both. We had our 4th yesterday too!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Funny how many people get married this time of year. Happy anniversary to you too!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone!! Hard to believe 36 years has gone by. Life sure has a way of going by fast when you're not looking. :)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda I know the feeling we will be married 36 years in Sept. I don't know were all the time went???????????? congrats!!!!!!!
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Happy Anny all... I have been keeping up... Did anyone get the storm to beat all storms??? We sure did the whole town of Plainwell was without power for about 24 hours... I know it could've been way worse but Im sure glad it wasn't.... The wind as over 70 mph.... The rain was coming down literally in sheets. Wow. I know what you mean by a scared dog!!! Our get really uoset also. He pants really hard. Lays in the corner all cured up. The night af all the fireworks I had to give him a valium... Really didnt want to but he was really stressing.... He is so sweet. Have a great week Ronna.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We are lucky our dog is not too scared of the storms. He does like to be in the same room with us, but doesn't get shaking and panting.

We did get some heavy rain, but missed a bad storm, thank goodness. Sorry to hear about your storm. We sure have had our share this year!

My pretty African daisies I planted from seed and grew to wonderful, beautiful bushy plants, have nearly died off due to too much water. (they are drought resistant) I had the pots filled with stone, but the plants did die in the pots without drains. Pouring off the excess water was not enough. Oh well.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Hold on everyone. There is a storm a brewing. I think we will definitely get some rain here today.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

We're getting a steady flow of sprinkles right now, but not sure if its gonna do any more than that. I had to transplant some irises and finally got them in the ground, trying my best to get things done b4 all the fall bulbs get here lol. which is really a tall order considering everytime I try to get my work done hubby starts a new project.

Here's a pic of the angel and anchor and pelican he bought for the new front project ^_^

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

how cool your one lucky girl!!!!
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Nice pepsidrinker! I bought some new gnomes this year. I have so many garden ornies really dont need any more. But I always say that. Oh yeah I got a really cute kids in a hammock from one of my daughters for mothers day. Thats cute. Going to "Shippsie" tommorow maybe I'll find something there. I was there once this year already and Im mad that I didnt buy the brit marie crawford ligularia when I went. Maybe tommorrow?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well its not a thunderstorm but has it ever been raing here in Plainweel for the last two day I think it only stopped for a total of four hours. This is for the ducks if you ask me!!! We do need the rain thats true but, not all at once. Anyone else getting this amount of rain? I know it is in Grand Rapids cause we went there to the huge Grandville Mall today. (sat). Busy cause no one could do anything outside! We even had a confirmed tornado in Paw Paw and it raced acrossed Kalamazoo.
Well I thought this is how spring is suppose to be. The new plants I planted a couple of weeks back should be weel watered by now Im sure. Suppose to rain most of the day on Sunday also. We are suppose to go camping on monday. Hope it stops raining by then. Ronna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.