Queen of ( for ) the night !

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Queen of the night - Peniocereus greggii ;

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78418/

Tonight appears as if this is going to be one of the nights , I noticed earlier today that some of the buds were rather enlarged . Really almost looks like a bunch of dead sticks stuck in the ground does'nt it

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

But lets look a little closer ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

A liiittle cloooser ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ummm huh , yes , I believe magic is coming tonight . It looks as if we are going to be treated to no less than 5 blossoms tonight . With more still developing on other plants for different nights . If you want a rare treat bring some liquid inbibment and come on down , come as you are . These blossoms last but one night

Thumbnail by lonediver
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice! Pics when they open????

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

This is same blossom close up about 30 minutes later, its opening ;

This message was edited Jun 2, 2008 7:22 PM

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I miscounted , there is six blossoms opening for us tonight ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The first four pics were taken about 6:30 , pic 4 and 5 were the same blossom 30 minutes later and pic #6, 7 , 8 20 minutes after that about 7:20

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

One more and I am going back out ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

# 9 - these were taken about 7:40 - 7:45 , definitely open and VERY fragrant , could be smelled from several feet away . Remember this fragerence is what Channel # 5 is supposed to be based on ;

Thumbnail by lonediver

Well done Doug! They are early!

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

From promising bud to full open in about 1 1/2 hours ; this was taken from about the same position for pics # 4, 5 and 10 ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Beautiful! I have cuttings of the other Night Blooming Cactus (Cereus) that I'm trying to grow as a houseplant :-D I know it will be a while before it takes over the house!

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes Benny , I thought that these were supposed to bloom late june - early july , but you can see for yourself . The plant that is giving these six has another blossom that should be open in another day or two . There is another seperate plant that could give another show within a few days of another 4 to 5 blossoms . Don't you all wish you were here , these pics do not really do it justice and the fragerence is VERY nice . Here comes a few more pics

Thumbnail by lonediver

Yes.. I actually do wish I were there. I have gone to the big Queen of the Night thing at Tohono Chul but it is so crowded and people are just downright rude. There, it would be lovely peace and quiet. If I did not have to work on the morrow, I would pack up the truck and head down.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

A different night blooming cereus ? I was not aware of another . Would you have the botanical ?

Another pic , don't you all wish you were here ?

Thumbnail by lonediver
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Night blooming Cereus (Epiphyllum oxypetalum)

Thumbnail by MagicsGarden
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well Benny as I said above I have another seperate plant that will be probably doing 4 to 5 blossoms I would guess within the next week , There are other blossoms but to night looks like the biggest showing . As you can see .

Thumbnail by lonediver

Beautiful Doug. Seriously. Just beautiful.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well I see now that there are three strains/varieties .

the Epiphyllum oxypetalum that magicsgarden brought up ( is this native to Arizona ? )

And there are 2 strains of Peniocereus greggii

There is Peniocereus greggii 'Var. transmontanus' , the flowers are 3 inches across and is found in the Sonoran desert below 3300 ft.

And there is Peniocereus greggii 'Var. greggii' has flowers 2 inches across and is found in nature above 4000 ft in the Southwestern deserts.

The transmontanus is what we are viewing here , Not sure how my camera will do at night . Should I go out and try to take some more . Right at sundown it was fun , got to watch the baby owls scampering around as I took these .

You all want more ?

Thumbnail by lonediver

Stunning!

I am turning in for the night. It has been a long day for me and I have another early start in the morning. I would love to be there chilling in your sanctuary though I can tell you that.

G'night Doug and don't stay up to late!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I've been trying to do some research since I got my original cuttings from Loggees catalog but I'm really not sure if it is native to this area or not.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here is something on the Epiphyllum oxypetalum magicgarden ; it does not seem to be native to Arizona ;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyllum_oxypetalum#Origin_and_habitat

I just got back from trying a few night shots , there is/was a change ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Trying for a side view ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Another from the side ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The perfume wafting through the air was pretty pervasive ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The one off by itself , that will be all for now folks . Hope you enjoyed the show ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Doug I so enjoyed the show!! No buds on mine at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maris now going off to have a person to cactus talk with hers....

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Very, very pretty! Thanks for sharing those beautiful blooms (as they opened) with us!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Very very pretty. Although I am not a cactus person, who can resist these flowers? But the interesting thing for me here, is on Sunday night, I was poking around in the alley behind my house, because something caught my eye. I found what looked like a little ice plant type thingy with cute little pink flowers on it...BUT..what I also found was a plant, that I believe is what you are showing us, ld. I had already forgotten about it, until I saw this thread. So...jammies and all, I just went cruising back out to the alley, and this is what I found....

Thumbnail by PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

A closer shot

Thumbnail by PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

And..obviously more to come.

Thumbnail by PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

This poor cactus is in the alley, mixed in with who knows what. Some other cactus, a huge lantana, this ice plant looking stuff, aloe vera (I think). I was snatching a cutting off the ice plant, when I saw this guy. I meant to go back and get my camera, but got side tracked and totally forgot. I am so glad I saw this thread. Now I will be watching for the other blooms. Thank you :)

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

A night blomming cactus ( there are many including saguaro ) but that is not the Peniocereus greggii . The Peniocereus greggii 'Var. transmontanus' truly looks almost like dead sticks when it is alive . I have a few more pics taken this morning .

Mr. Bee , bathing in Channel # 5 ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Doug were yours already in place on your proerty or did you buy them from somewhere?

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

He must have liked it , he moved to another blossom and he is DROWNING himself in it , look carefully he is the dark spot at the bottom of the upper blossom in the pic . Somebody better throw him a life preserver .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Marie , I got them through a grower/friend/aquaintence I do work for , nobody wanted them . I have six of them . A pic of the same plant with another developing bud , probably opening tonight .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

An upcoming show from a different plant next to the other , probably one or two more nights before this opens . It looks as if will have 5 blossoms opening on the same night .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ahhhhh, the vicarious thrill of it all - even if we don't have room (or whatever) we can always 'experience' the blossoms and plants of others on Dave's Garden...

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Without thier blossom they really don't look like much , do they ?

Thumbnail by lonediver

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.