Alpines in June

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

And if Todd hadn't known of them, what about the rest of us? We just drink it all up, and it tastes so so good!

Here's a poor shot of Gypsophila bungeana

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Okay Penstemon people, what is this? It was supposed to be P. angustifolius.

Sorry I don't have a pic of the foliage. Leaves are blue and succulent like, similar to P. grandiflorus. Leaves serrated, but in a fashion opposite of being scalloped, becoming nearly entire as they ascend the flower scape. Shape is ovate with a point at the base, becoming triangular and perfoliate as they ascends the flower scape.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

A close up.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

The pistil is quite striking.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

palmeri perhaps? It rings a bell that that species has pinkish, bulbous flowers

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, thank you! I'm flattered that you think I have some interesting plants! I'll have to try to collect seeds from more of them and get in on some trades here. On that note, I can't claim to have grown that many of the ones shown from seed though... many were purchased from Beaver Creek, some from an unknown supplier(s) to a local garden center, and others, here and there. (I do participate in the NARGS seed exchange though... what a fabulous seed list!)

I think Todd has your penstemon ID, Rick. The details you mentioned about the foliage seem to match the Lodewick key, also. So, Penstemon palmeri is supposed to be fragrant - most unusual - so is it fragrant?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Another interesting one... an endemic of Georgia (errr, the country, that is... ;), in calcareous rocks of the subalpine zone, Scutellaria helenae. (At least that's how it was labelled; I couldn't find any photos or info just now to compare with). Does it go perhaps by a different name?

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Unfortunately, this plant isn't shown to its best advantage in this hokey little alpine-ish bed I have it in... I think it would look great in a rough, rocky setting... (EDIT: ... kinda like in nature, might be what I'm trying to say, LOL!)
Vella spinosa. It's not quite so formidable as the spines make it appear - the spines are actually rather pliable, though I suspect on old growth (it has some die-back here), they would not be. It's interesting how the spines form an umbrella over the tender leaves underneath.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2008 8:12 PM

Thumbnail by altagardener
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is a link to the July thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/870975/

Quoting:
Penstemon palmeri is supposed to be fragrant - most unusual - so is it fragrant?

I hadn't even thought about that, so I just went out a checked . . .

It is definitely fragrant! It smells nice, but no specific type of fragrance. I would liken it to cheap perfume. Thanks for the ID, Todd and Lori.

Vella spinosa is El Cool! That the petals constrict at their bases is a good form with that plant. Are the petals really white fading to yellow at the outer parts, or is that the camera?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

That's a great-looking penstemon, Rick... I think I could put up with the stench of cheap perfume to have it in my garden, LOL!

Re. Vella spinosa, the flowers are solid light yellow, with some veininess becoming apparent on the spent ones. There's really no variation from edge to center of the petals, so it must have been a trick of the light or the camera.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.