Alpines in June

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

My Androsace sempervivoides

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Aquilegia canadense and Rhododendron tapetiforme

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Lathyrus vernus is starting to overpower the rockery...self-seeding too much as well.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Backlite Saxifraga strynbyi..you can see the sticky hairs!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and my first Allium of the season, A. zebdanense. This one reaches about 16" tall.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Cool plants! They just keep on coming!

So these Saxifraga strybyi hairs look as though they have "droplets" of goo, similar to Drosera spp.

And their purpose is . . . . ?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Wow, wonderful plants, all!

I had the great fortune to attend a 2-day work event last week at Lake Louise in Banff N. P. (at the Post Hotel, no less... yeah, I know... SWEET!!!). Took a stroll along Louise Creek and found colonies of Primula mistassinica (I believe) in bloom on the damp banks! So tiny - the entire basal rosettes were only 1 to 1.5 cm across! We also had a "team-building event" (anyone who works at a larger corporation knows what I'm talking about, LOL!) where we got to rent bikes and do a little riding around. The pine forest around Pipestone had an absolutely astonishing number of colonies of Calypso orchids (Calypso bulbosa)! (Forgot my camera, dang!) We usually hold off from hiking until the alpine areas are accessible but obviously some low elevation hikes are in order!

BTW, my mystery white-blooming low alpine from the May thread has been ID'd... Phlox hendersonii!

Pulsatilla aurea still in bloom, but done soon. I like the dusky outer bases on these flowers:

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Penstemon confertus.... these individuals are smaller-flowered than the ones I have in the back yard; pussytoes (Antennaria) in the background:

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Some fantastic plants here! The photos are stunning too. I often use that coloured card technique as it takes away all of the distracting background and allows you to just concentrate on the plant you are looking at. I have just sown some seeds of aquilegia viridiflora. I had a plant years ago and wanted to try it again. The scent is lovely and the unusual colour of course!

(Zone 5a)

Todd - it is pretty weird that we're ahead, but this has been a very warm spring here .... no hard frosts in May and temperatures consistently in the 50's, high 50's - low 60's the past 3 weeks so everything here is at least 2 weeks early. . My pulsatilllas are all in the seedhead stage as well as my Lathyrus vernus. The alpines also benefitted from a cold winter with a lot of snow cover and not as wet conditions as we've been used to in the past years. That Androsace is very pretty as well as all the others :-)

alta - interesting color on that Penstemon. I have those pussytoes too - didn't know they were called that - neat name :-)

Here's my Penstemon rupicola. It's never flowered so abundantly :-) I think it was supposed to be 'Pink Dragon' but it doesn't look pink enough to me ....... it was raised from seed so there's bound to be some variation in color.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Daphne Lawrence Crocker

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Claytonia siberica....short-lived but self-seeds

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

First Lewisia is opening...this is 'Little Plum'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and Gentiana angustifolia 'Frei'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and I'll end with Erigeron borealis

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

We grew a gigantic Clematis alpina 'Pamela Jackman' for many years (now gone), along with a few other common clematis cultivars, and with their huge seeding tendencies, now have an amazing variety of self-seeded forms growing throughout the yard! Single, doubles of various forms, blues, purples, (almost) white, pink...
One of the multitude, growing through a nannyberry:

This message was edited Jun 17, 2008 9:30 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

More variations:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Dianthus alpinus, purportedly, though the flowers lack the inner ring of dots... Judging from photos on the internet, there is either a lot of variation in this, or a great number of mislabelled plants, or perhaps both?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Another dianthus...

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The last dianthus might be freynii as that is an early one...mine is just budding. Your alpinus is not like any alpinus I've seen...looks like a lot of gratianopolitanus blood in it. Here's a pic of my alpinus from last year....I don't think alpinus has glaucous leaves...at least mine doesn't.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Not an alpine, but if you'd like to see Iris hookeri x ensata OP F3 06Y318, look here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/865619/

This is Iris setosa from Kenai, Alaska. I wanted to show how purple the seed pod is, and left the dried up old flower attached, which unfortunately, messed with the beauty of the open flower.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Iris tectorum:

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Acinos alpinus. Until this, its fourth year, it has been happy under an inch (2.5cm) high. Now it is reaching twice that.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2008 6:19 PM

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

My hookeri are just starting to bud...still a couple of weeks away. I'd be interested in seeds from the setosa with the purple seed capsule. That could be interesting in my iris breeding program.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Okay, subalpine at best... Castilleja miniata:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Leftwood, my Acinos alpinus has always been a few inches tall.

Penstemon procerus:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Supposed to be Penstemon pruinosus, chelan beardtongue... but, hmmm, I'm starting to question everything! Well, I now have the Lodewick penstemon key, as well as Bob Nold's book, so I'll try to figure out if it is or isn't.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

A woodlander, Hylomecon japonicum:

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Wish I could grow Castilleja, but its another Penstemon nitidus....you have to live where they grow naturally if you want any success. I love that little Penstemon. I have pruinosus too but I can't recall if it looks like yours or not. It is just starting to bud so we'll see in time.

My Podophyllum hexandrum is blooming for the first time! Took 5 years from seed.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula pilosa...always my first campanula of the season

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Gentiana acaulis 'Iceberg'..I think I prefer the blue for impact

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and speaking of impact!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

I read somewhere that some Brits have been successful with Castillejas with continuous light fertilization.

That Iris setosa from Kenai, AK has beautiful flowers. At least as blue as in the pic, and very saturated color. But it is a bit leggy in growth, so far. The first two years,2006+07, it grew to at least 25 inches(63cm). Tall, lanky, long and few leaves. Last year it bloomed with equally delightful flowers. This season it is shorter, the tallest leaf being only 20 inches(51cm). We have had more rain, and cooler weather this year. Seed should be no problem.

Cool Podophyllum! I bought Podophyllum hexandrum from Mt. Tahoma last year. Not exactly what I was expecting, it looks like this:

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 12:01 PM

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Rick, your Podophyllum is a baby, so to speak. As it gets older, it will develop more lobes. Unfortunately, you have a plain green selection..the best have beautiful brownish-maroon markings.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Wow, it is really late there, Todd! Your Podophyllum is just emerging while mine is fully leafed out... looks like no flowers this year, though, or at least not yet.

Thanks Todd. I knew I was gambling on leaf color when I got it, but I wondered about the leaf shape. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Phyteuma hemisphaericum ready to bloom at our Arboretum rock garden. This is what can happen with inadequate light. But it still blooms fairly well.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I have two Podophyllum hexandrum..the non-bloomer is fully leafed while the bloomer is just emerging.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Aethionema lepidioides, planted this spring:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

First flower on a little Convolvulus compactus, planted this spring.

Your Convolvulus gave me a good chuckle. It almost looked like you stuck a naked artifical flower in the gravel. How old is that plant?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.