Poppies

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info on the poppies....I just sowed a few California poppies in the ground. I am hoping to skip a few steps. I have more seeds, though if they do not take.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

gosh evelyn...you'ld think they would do great...being your state flower and all...lol.

I would try outdoors myself but spring is notorious for strong breezes, maybe if I were to try some close to established plants and then plan on moving them once they are up.

We usually have snow in March, April and May here, but there is no predicting the weather. Today I thought it was summer.

I did not sow the orange ones...these were bright red...into the "hot bed". ('Dalli' and 'Mikado.')

I also moved ferns to the new shade garden.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

You can sow them in the snow. It's called dorminate sowing the only problem is that they may not grow where you thought you sowed them. I sow mine in the fall but I've only sowed the orange ones until I saw some in a catalog this year I didn't know they came in different colors. To me, Ca poppies, are orange.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2013 10:53 PM

There are SO many orange ones here in CA....

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I know that's were I'm from. : ). I just thought to be a CA poppy it had to be orange.

Nah...but it is their natural color. I don't know where the other colors come from...if they were bred or selected....

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I don't know where the other colors come from either. Here a gorgeous flame-red and orange CA Poppy:

Eschscholzia californica
http://www.botanicalinterests.com/products/view/1031/Poppy-California-Mikado-Seeds/srch:mikado

http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Hazwho&Product_Code=E8465&Category_Code=

I've got about 1,000 seeds and can share.

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA
Ostrander, OH(Zone 5b)

I noticed a number of responses here where people need to take notice of something. Just remember that it is a felony to grow papaver somniferum, it is the opium poppy. It goes by a number of innocent-looking names like Breadbox, Danish Flag and a host of other names and sold by a number of seed dealers.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I've heard no one will bother you until you begin growing acres and acres of them...... and yes we use them in baking so you all have probably eaten them too....yummmmm!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Shhhhh I grow a few as Breadseed poppy , I'm happy when I get any to grow here ,,,

Spanaway, WA

http://agsyst.wsu.edu/CulinaryPoppy.html

It is NOT illegal to grow Papaver somniferum in the United States. It IS illegal to harvest or collect the alkaloid latex the plant produces.

I repeat, it is not illegal to grow Papaver somniferum in the United States.

If folks here think it IS illegal to grow the plant for flowers or seed, please, post the statute link here, so that no doubt remains.

Born in Delaware, Ohio... :) Hi Ostrander...

This message was edited Aug 25, 2014 6:16 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.