Funky swamp pots....suggestions?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hose?!? Yeah...like I have any of that...ROTFLOL!!! Hmmm....better go check what those big butted shoelaces are made of....can always pick up a one of those microfiber towels at Wally world if need be. Thanks for the ideas Jill!!! Pots WILL be taken care of tonight...needed to borrow a dolly to move the things...ugh!!! Collected all kinds of bottles to throw in the bottom!!! LOL

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Harbor Frieght has microfiber towels on sale 4 for $1.99, I'll bet you could get at least 6-8 strips out of each cloth to use for wicking. I use them for cleaning windows instead of paper towels.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sam's Club sells bundles of blue ones pretty cheaply, too. I have a stash of old pantyhose from "back in the day" that I use for things like this, LOL.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

What is Harbor Frieght DF?

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Ah, Harbor Freight is a tool discount place where you can buy a lot of cheaply made things cheap, if that makes sense. They are online at : www.harborfreight.com and also have standalone stores. I don't know where you live but there is one in Lynchburg that we go to all the time and there will soon be one closer to us in Danville, VA.

The biggest problem with them is I tend to overbuy. I get their haircutting kit when it goes on sale for $5.99 because I cut DH's hair and it's cheaper to use one and toss it when it gets dull than to buy an expensive trimmer and then have to buy new cutting heads. Dh just bought a bed extender for his truck so he doesn't have to borrow a trailer when he needs wood or things that are longer than 6 feet. It's just a t bar that fits into his hitch but it was $40.00 and we have used it twice already. The last time we borrowed someones trailer, we ended up having to buy them a new tire at $50.00 because it totally shredded.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart: The bellflowers you gave me are doing fine so far. They don't look pretty just yet, but the stems and leaves are definitely alive.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I don't think there are any Harbor Freight stores anywhere around here, Chantell, but you can go to their website and order. They sell all kinds of tools, off brand Japanese made often but I've been really pleased with those that I've gotten from them. Also a few garden tools, yard decor, greenhouses and lots of other stuff.

I was telling Critter Saturday how nice their set of Japanese saws are at a fraction of the price elsewhere. These saws pull cut instead of push like regular saws. Once you have them, you'll never go back.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info about harborfreight. I had never heard of it before.

Hart: Is the Japanese flush cut saw the one you are recommending?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhhh I like cheap!!! That so came out wrong...but you know what I meant! LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Most any good flush cut saw cuts on the pull and has a fine blade so you can flex it flush against the wood surface to cut off dowels and that sort of thing. The Japanese saws are called ryoba and dozuki and I forget the name of the third one which is the flush cut. I'll go see if I can find them for you. The ryoba is a double edged saw, the dozuki has one edge and a strip across the top to make the saw blade firmer.

They're so much easier to use and to control because of the pull cut and the thinner blades.

Okay, I don't see the set but keep checking because it kept coming and going when I bought ours. The set I got had all three for about $30 - about the going rate for one saw at most woodworking tool sites. That's probably gone up some because I got ours several years ago.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92599 here's one, a ryobi. If you only get one, this is your best bet because it has the courser and finer teeth on the two sides, one for rip cutting, one for finer cutting. If you can find a dozuki, they're good for making more precise cuts such as cutting dovetails.

Just for comparison, here's a set at one of the better woodworking tool sites.
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemID=102120&itemType=PRODUCT

Here's some at Lee Valley. They have some really nifty woodworking tools and really cool garden stuff too.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1&p=42884

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I might save this purchase for a winter day when the garden isn't beckoning, anyway!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a HF only 15 minutes from my house. Have to go investigate those saws....

Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That's just NOT fair...whaaaa!

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

There's a 10" flush cut saw in the 50% off sales catalog for $7.99, item 94722-3USH. The thing about HF is that each sale catalog has different prices for the same thing sometimes so you have to read them carefully. Also, if you see a good sale in the catalog, you can go to the store and they will give you the same price and you save on shipping! We sometimes bring 2 or 3 catalogs with us to the store to check prices because even the store doesn't have the same sales!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

A flush cut saw is not what I was talking about. You can get an inexpensive flush cut saw at any hardware store and the English ones are the same as the Japanese. In other words, there's no real advantage in getting a Japanese flush cut saw and in fact, unless you're cutting dowels, you probably would never use one.

But the other saws, the ryoba and dozukis, are considerably different from regular western saws.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok....funky pots "fixed' - not to self (for future use) make sure PLUG in drain hole is removed from pots!!!!!!!!! Yes folks...have had these pots a year and never realized there was a plug IN the drain hole at bottom....imagine that! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantelle--------------------I am just speechless!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Aha, been there done that - remember my roses swimming & me drilling holes
( electric drill & water).... Same reason!!! LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes LOL I do....thought of YOU while I was drilling "extra" holes on ALL sides (before throwing the plastic bottles in the bottoms of both pots). Happy to say MINE is a chargeable one....read NOT plugged in any where!!! The smell in those pots - had to laugh as I was gagging while dumping the soil and noticed I took extra care to put the water absorbing crystals in there - LOL as if the soil needed their help!!! OMG - please send me Gardening for Dummies!! I had to keep tipping those pots during our "floods" - figured any Moon Flower seeds were long gone from all the "tipping" - guess what i found on the ground - a lone bitty Moon flower vine with TWO leaves...sweet little baby!! While out there (worked in the BACK yard last weekend...never made my way to the front) I found lots of MG's that obviously self seeded their happy selves...OMG where to put the MG seedlings that are growing in the huge flower potf!?!?! Found all kinds of ??things?? growing in the front there....will take pics tomorrow to see if ya'll can figure it out for me. The plant ALL over by where the MG are smells "herby" - hoping our herb guru - Jill - will know what they are. LOL

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I just ordered two more trellis planters - this time I WILL make sure all drainage holes are open AND I WILL drill extra holes to make sure I have good drainage (before a rainstorm hits and I drill with a plugged in electric drill IN water) - I got lucky with the water logged roses :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.