Is there a Mini Papyrus/Umbrella Palm?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I know there are dwarfs that get to be about 18" tall, but I have come across some neat little plants that I beleive are a smaller variety, maybe 8-10" tall. Anybody know if these will get taller than that? Some have already started to flower at only about 8 inches. These are in 4 inch pots.

Thumbnail by Azalea
Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL, I came on here to say yeah, there's a dwarf but the one I know of is the 18" one :) Sorry I can't help.

Lana

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I bought some dwarf ones last summer.. they bloomed at about that height.... and continued to grow.. have them in bog pots about 24" around...each new sprout grew taller.... they are now 2 to 3 ft tall! LOL

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Can you propagate them from seed?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I suppose you could propagate them from seed but I know a faster way to do it. At least with the regular sized papyrus.
I cut the stalk about 2-3 inches below the top, then cut the leaves back to about 2 inches. Turn this upside down in water and roots will form, also new shoots will come up too. Is this as clear as mud?? When the roots get to be about 2 inches, I pot them up.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Also they may not come true from seed--there's a good chance the babies would be regular size rather than dwarf.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Do you mean to put the cut off top, top end with the trimmed leaves down in the water? Can it also root in a soil less medium with root hormone gel? (I just bought the gel, have not tried it yet). If yes, is that done the same way? Which is the preferred method?

I just bought mine last spring. It was small, but now it is about 20 inches tall. Is that the regular size?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

It might root in the gel, don't know about that, but I know it will root in plain water.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

thanks, I will try this in the water.

Deer Park, IL(Zone 5b)

It's a shame I didn't see your post earlier because this plant was offered in the Texas Water lily's co-op here at Daves. It was priced right. Check out their website.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Mine died this winter, I am so bummed that I didn't take a cutting.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Lynn - Depending on how hard your winter was, or if you kept it inside. mine always die back in winter but come back from the roots in late spring. I am also in 7b.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Oh thank you for the encouraging news!!! I planted it last year, so this was my first winter with it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.