Fibromyalgia and gardening

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey all, I am moving slower today, my busy day yesterday is paying me back today. I picked a mess of string beans and butterbeans at 8 this morning before it got unbearable in heat. We are having them for supper along with fresh squash and corn. I love fresh veggies. I hope you are all having a good day. Other than moving slow mine has been good.

Frausnow, I hate that your family has this junk too. I have so many back problems I can certainly understand. I was a bullrider in early teens or wanted to be, I sucked up alot of red dirt trying anyway. I was a tomboy to the extent that my mom informed me when I was 12 that I was not a boy like my 3 brothers and would have to accept it but it took a few more years to sink in. By that time I had broken almost every bone in this old body and some twice. I wonder if this is payback.LOL. Now I have arthritis in between every joint in back, several slipped disk and fibro in muscles. So tell that brother I understand the meaning of pain and sympathise. I was in wheelchair for short period before I started getting epidurals for back. Gotta Go cook now. Have a good evening.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I want you all to know that You are included in my daily prayers for strength, patience, willingness to lernfrom all esperiences and mercy toward yourselves and others (among other things, of scourse.!) + I always pray that every hour of rest provide the healing and renewal of 2..........
My God is my source, my strength and my hope thru Jesus,
--Sheri

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

I love the song " My God Is An Awsome God" and I truly believe that without him we would not exist much less reap such Blessings. Gardening and flowers renew that, because only God could create such beauty. Even vegetables can be like works of art in their beauty. We have to enjoy the beauty around us, like butterflies and bumble bees on flowers. It is all about how we look at them. Bees may sting but are so beautiful on a flower.That may sound corny to some but if you can't see God in the small things, you may miss him.So I try to enjoy that while I work, even if in pain. I also pray for those I have met here and others across the country that suffer. It is raining here this morning so I did not get out. I have errands this afternoon. So have a great day. Look for a Blessing from God in your garden.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the support Birdie. Scraps I love that song too. Sweet Hour of Prayer is another of my favorites. I grew up hearing my mother sing it and find much comfort and strength in it myself.

I see GOD's handiwork in all creation. All things were created for and by HIM. Col. 1 - 16. NIV. Jack use to take a walk of thanksgiving nearly every morning thru the yard to see the flowers, shrubs, trees, etc. Especially during the growing and harvesting seasons.

I found my first ripe tomatoes this afternoon. About 4 more are almost ripe. I haven't sprayed with anything yet but the grass hoppers are getting bad. I may be able to get away with spraying just parts of the yarden. I don't want to spray where the poultry range because I don't want to risk poisoning any of them. The baby chicks, including the 5 brand new ones that showed up this morning. I didn't even know I had a hen sitting on a nest of eggs. Now the challange will be to get her to take them into the building for the nights. I'll see if Kyle and/Holly will help me. I'd hate to lose them to night time predators.

GOD bless and keep each of you. Please be careful out in that heat. Keep hydrated and pace yourself.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Leaflady I love fuzzy baby chicks. I had a little girl about 3 years old at bible school a couple years ago who toted one all day. her mom said she would not stay at bible school if she could not keep her "shicken". The poor fellows neck was hanging over after 11:00 but her mom said don't worry we prayed for him in vbs and she has 10 "shicken" houses at home full of them. She was so adorable I just can't help thinking of her when someone mentions baby chickens. However I did feel sorry for the chick. I had a busy day today and feel like that poor fellow with neck hanging flopped over. My husband and daughter are going out to eat seafood but I could not muster the strength. Maybe I will get a doggie bag. Have a good evening.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hello! I know some of you already but not all of you. I don't have fibromyalgia but I have had multiple sclerosis since I was 25, and many of the problems and coping strategies are similar. I take Gabepentin too - has anyone tried Topamax? That's the most recent pain med I've started. Pace yourself and don't let the pain sneak up on you!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Carrie, both Gabapentin and Topamax are actually antiseizure medications. They relieve pain by preventing the muscle contractions/spasms we have with fibro. You must have muscle contractions/spasms too. Topamax is a much stronger medication according to my PDR. I'm actually doing quite well on 300 mg. of Gabapentin 4 times a day right now. Of course I have bad days when I don't think IV morphine would help. Believe me I have been in the hospital and they had to use it to even touch the pain. But that was a couple or 3 years ago and a very bad spell. But if I ever get to a point where the higher doses of Gabapentin won't work I'll try to remember the Topamax and mention it to my doctor.

Not overdoing it is probably one of my biggest problems. When I feel good I charge ahead like 3 men and a team of mules. I get a lot done, then exhaustion sets in and I'm done for for a few days to a few weeks. I'm ADHD and the mania part is expressed in energy not mood most of the time. I do tend to swing between being a Polly Anna and some depression. But I'm a Polly Anna with lots of energy most of the time.

I believe what you say can have a tremendous effect on your life. When people ask me how I am I nearly always say I am blessed beyond measure. I don't always feel it, but I know that is the truth. And the truth will set you free. I also confess that I am healed by the stripes on JESUS's back/body. 1 Peter 2:24 says we were and if we were then I am. Isaiah 53:5 says we are and if we are then I am. So it is just a matter of getting my body to come in line with what the BIBLE says. Which may take medical help and a lot of time. But if I just refuse to live by what I feel sooner or later it has to come to pass. Sometimes not in this life, but leaving this life gives a total healing. Does that make sense to any of you? I'm not always good at explaining things.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

I am so very glad that I gave the glory to God. Sometimes trying not to step on toes of unbelievers prevents me from really reaping the wonderful gifts that God has just waiting there for us / me to accept. So many of you have shared where your true strength comes from that it has made my heart sing with joy....Thankyou .....and Thank God!
--Birdie-(Sheri) ;-))

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

5 - 6 years ago, the new governor of Mass (in a cost-saving measure) took off-label use of Gabepentin off the Medicaid formulary. Off-label use is using it other than to prevent seizures. Everyone knows it works for pain! I had been taking it for a bunch of years and it never even occurred to me that such a thing could happen!! My neurologist gave me all his samples, I used them up. Meanwhile he wrote a letter to Medicaid trying to get it approved. I'm sure they were flooded with letters!!!!!! I tried every other epilepsy med just in case they might work, but no, I was in pain. I was in SO MUCH PAIN! My kids weren't allowed to touch me!!! I couldn't move!! I hadn't realized how much I depended on those pills for pain control. (And Tramadol, and Topamax, and Klonazepam, and Tizanidine . . .) Finally Medicaid approved them. But what a horrific time that was! And I seriously can't remember if it was three days or three weeks; we used everything we could up to and including booze, leftover codeine, percocet, etc., just to get through those awful days. So now I stockpile when I can. I take 1200, 3 x a day, for a total of 3600 a day!

I have been on Gabapentin (neurontin) 600mg tid for a # of years now, that's only 1800mg /day and could certainly be increased significantly. The VA doesn't seem to get the "cream of the crop" as far as Drs go, often I feel like I could treat myself a bit better....anyway......after 5 yrs of MS, they have had me on Fentanyl patches for about 16 mos (after an accidental overdose....I say accidental, but honestly, I'm not so sure......old issue though).........for now, I want to get off of any and everything that I can and rely on God's healing strength. although I do realize that He put both Drs and Medicaations here for our good, when used appropriately......anyway.....I have been really hesitanat to share just what I am on and feel like i have just confessed a big secret...............I just would like to live my life and be active , just a little, and not be in dissabling pain.......My biggest worry about the patches is that my body is already used to functioning daily on just about the strongest pain meds there are. ........so what happens if I have a more severe need, like post op or my next colonoscopy even (they are not fun when you are totally awake'!) thanks for listening....er .....reading :-))

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Sheri, there are a lot higher doses than 600 mg tid! I understand your concern - I seem to use up pain med's effectiveness, too. I last as long as I can, and when I ask for more, dread the day when there isn't any higher dose or other med available! So far, that hasn't happened, but I feel certain it's going to someday. But I think you're safe for now.

You have MS and FM? Stupid MDs can't tell them apart sometimes! 2nd opinion is a good idea. Have a sweet night.

no, ...sorry my usse of "MS" was a reference to MS04= Morphine...sorry I have Fibro, CFS, DJD, Arthritis, Chondromalachia (bad knees!), PTSD, Anxiety disorder & depression.....that is enough.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Birdie, your list of suffering looks like mine. FMS, DJD, Arthritis, PTSS, Anxiety, IBS and PMS. I hate that we all can't find a healing cure. It is all pretty much under the category of fibromyalgia. Well I have a busy day of errands. Have a Blessed day and Gentle hugs to you all. Happy Gardening. I Thank God for DG and all of you to console each of us on bad days and share Blessings.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Birdie, why do you need frequent(?)colonostopies? You didn't mention anything that would require one that I can think of. Just refuse to let them do one without anesthesia. Be firm. I know that can be hard to do with VA. My DH went to VA for over 30 years and 2 of our children go to VA for medical treatments. Different hospitals are so different in what kinds of treatments they use, etc. The one in Richmond, VA that our oldest DD went to was way out on the limb with alternative treatments. As for doctors, most of the VA hospitals that I know about work in co operation with a state medical teaching school.

What is PTSD?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Post traumatic stress disorder - osten suffered by victims of domestic violence, soldiers, victims of terrorist attacks, after a car accident, etc. Good luck with all those things, Sheri - sounds like you have a full list!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow! My deepest regrets to all of your suffering! It must be h--- for all of you at times? Please don't take this as Same old same old advice but my huge weight loss after lap-band surgery freed me of the pains of ulcers, Post Polio Syndrome pains (most all of it) diabetes, myocardial infarction, (severe heart attack in which I died and was brought back) carpul tunnnel syndrome, severe arthritis in my ankles, knees and shoulders. freedom to walk again for no need of a power chair and almost unlimited energy of which I do not take advantage of because I still have PPS as there is no cure but more importantly no more meds except for my arthritis. (Antinflammatory and occasional darvacete for PPS)
I am a 6' male that weighed 338lbs because I could not burn off my fat because of immobilization and after losing 130lbs I have been, through the grace of God, a new and wonderful life which I tell you this to give you hope as their is a way to get relief and enjoyment from a miserable previous life that no one of my family could understand or sympthaze with me as they thought that I was just lazy and fat but now I put them all to shame by doing most all the gardening maintainince except heavy lifting as my polio will not allow that as it will weaken my precious muscles. Severe excercise is the worst thing I can do as my neourons are not replaceable (messages to the brain for muscles to move) as they are in normal people. If any of you can have this very simple proceedure --- please do! It works...

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

TPlant, I agree with you. I lost 80# on my own with the help of JESUS and it takes constant vigilance to keep it off. I battle those last 10# all the time. Lately they have been winning. Fibro is much like the PPS in that excessive exercise and stress are the worse things we can have in our lives. For me either can and has led to paralysis and months in a wheel chair, then learning to do everything with my left side all over again as well as ammnesia(?)from the lack of family support. I nearly ended up in a mental institution.

I found out the thrift store is open until 2 so that eased the stress of today a lot. I was able to weedeat the bird yard and an area between it and the garage with the electric weedeater. Now the casserole for the picnic is in the oven. The person in charge of the store today is going to take my word for the one big item that would be special priced that I have put back so that is another stress gone. It's a spot steam cleaner for our youngest DD who is coming to see me tomorrow. Today is running smoothly after all.

I love you all!
regarding colonoscopies...they are recommended every 5 or 10 years, (can't remember which), but that is "frequent" enough for me & I assume I will be around for another one, which ever amount of time it is. As far as my being awake thru it...I did have the standard anesthesia - Versed ("enough for a 300# man" - per my Dr)...however, when your system is as used to the amount of pain meds mine is it is quite typical for the Versed not to be effective. Those of us on narcotic pain control are frequently on daily amounts that would be deadly overdoses for more than 1 person not opiate tolerant. BTW - My Dr told me that He and the 2 nurses in the colonoscopy rm would be out cold & in need of serious help if they had in them what I did (not including the Versed).
I try to keep a pretty good hold on my medical treatment...with 30 year's of experience as an RN, I am fairly knowledgable about meds, etc (perhaps too much --we've all heard that nurses and doctors make the worst patients!! lol ) I have realized that my use of some medical abbreviations led to a bit of misscomunication here a couple of times, and I do appologize. I will try not to do that in the future.
Yes, sometimes it seems that my plate, as it were, is quite full. I am reminded without looking very far, though, that many people have such tragic battles and events in their lives, that are far, far more serious than mine. If many were to lay a list of their battles on the table, I most likely would gladly take mine back. I believe that there is a purpose and reason for all that happens in this world and thus, in my life. It is not always mine to understand. Sometimes I'm angry, sometimes sad. One day I will ask for a lot of answers...then my understanding will come. Until then, some days are more difficult, but I will just keep trudging along my path.

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Scraps, Birdie Blue, Leaf Lady and others, I'm delighted to know there are so many believers here. At the age of 31 I committed my life to Christ and have been striving to be like Him ever since. Because of the FM I cannot work in the outside world, but I design websites for churches, ministries, non-profits and other Christian entities from my home office. Don't want it to sound like I'm advertising so I won't mention my website. I don't know why we must suffer with this affliction, but there is a reason. Just because we can't see the "big picture" I have to trust God and believe that in the end it is for good.

I go to the doctor on the 13th and want to ask about other painkillers since I can't take the Neurontin. The neuropathy(?) has really been bothering me a lot the past couple of weeks with sharp, shooting pains in the lower extremities.

Today DH and I finished backfilling the 5 trees I planted the other day. Got a nice layer of mulch around them, too. Only worked outside until noon so as not to have another episode of heat exhaustion. Now, PTL, it is raining outside! With the drought so bad here in GA every drop of rain is precious.

Still need to get 9 crape myrtles planted along the frontage of the yard. Maybe Monday morning I dig a few holes. The clay soil should still be soft enough. Would do it tomorrow, but we've got a full day at church tomorrow....S.S., worship, covered dish dinner because this is camp meeting month and we have guest singers, then quartet practice at 7 p.m. My DH and I sing in a quartet, (4 Heaven), but we've not performed in a while because we've all had so much other stuff going on. Now it's time to get back on track.

Am really enjoying this thread.

JoAnn

JoAnn,
Please dmail me privately if you like. I would love to learn more about your website and other things you mentioned. I too am hesitant to speak out sometimes, but these are times to be bold...the nonbelievers are, and we all can choose not to read any entry that is on a topic or contains things not exactly to our liking. I think that when in the valley we a are more willing to reach for help . Perhaps then, in some strange way we have been blessed to be forced to our knees (so to speak...as mine would not hold me) and reach up to One greater than us.
--Sheri

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Gee, Birdie, you being and RN & me being an LPN(long ago let my license go inactive)we should be a lot of help to people on here. How up to date are you?

Someone mentioned Topamax. Have you thought of trying that one? PDR lists it as a more potent med than the Gabapentin. I use to be afraid to mention what I have as an arsenal against the pain, but since the doctors I have gone to the past 6 years or so have been so open and compasionate about pain control it doesn't bother me anymore. I very openly told my last 2 employers immediately that they will see me taking multiple pills during the day and that my doctor knows all about them, what they are, etc. One day one of the co workers who seems to be up toward the top of the chain of command so to speak saw me taking pills out of my bottle(I carry a 3 or more day supply of all of them in my purse at all times)and stood there while I counted & sorted them out & ask what they were and why I took them. I just shook out the entire bottle, started sorting and identifying each one and telling her why I take it. She seemed satisfied so now when she sees me take them she just jokes about me taking my pills again. I smile and tell her I am thankful for everyone of those pills because without them I would be at home in bed or in a chair at the most with so much pain and stiffness I could barely move. She usually tells me she is glad I take them too because they like having me there. I also carry a 2 or 3 day supply of my Metamucil capsules to prevent fat absorbtion(learned that many years ago from a doctor)and Phase 2(amalyse inhibitor)to prevent carb absorbtion for my dietary infractions. And Simethicone for intestinal gas I have problems with because I'm a mouth breather, especially at night. Since I don't do anything illegal I no longer try to hide my meds.

It is a proven fact that especially older people, but usually any person with chronic pain is very unlikely to become an addict. We are in a class of patients who are usually so afraid of becoming addicts or reaching a level of dependency that we can't go any highter or that the doctor won't let us go above that we seldom even take as much as we are allowed to take. I know I turned down Fentenyl patches for the very reason that they may become addictive. Maybe when I am in my late 70s or into my 80s I won't let that that bother me. But at not quite 66 that is an issue for me. I think I may have already become somewhat addicted to Tramadol. But it is often a question of which came first: the constant need for a medication that would relieve this type of pain or the possible addiction? At the point, since it is only Tramadol I don't care. Were it Percocet, etc. I would be much more concerned. But I only take the Percocet occasionally as a backup for extreme pain.

How do some of you describe your pain to someone? I realize there are many types of pain. For years I suffered with places on my body, usually my outer left thigh or the outer side of my upper arm on either side that felt as tho it had been scalded even tho there was no visible evidence whatsoever. At times it feels like huge meat hooks in the major muscles that are weighted and the weigh keeps getting heavier. Or like there are cats hanging by their claws dug in my muscles. My one doctor just cringed when I told him all this. So do most nurses who say they have never heard pain described like that before. Never argued about IV morphine after that tho. lol. They also say, then I tell them the pain is a level 7 0r 8, that I'm not exhibiting the normal facial expressions for that level. I just tell them that people who live with chronic pain won't show those expressions because we have learned to live with it. Just take our word for it. We know how we feel.

I'm missing church today. I was up until 1 this morning cleaning the 'fridge and finding the right knee support/brace for our son who lives next door to me. He was stung by a bumble bee near the back of his right knee a week or more ago and it is still giving him a lot of pain. He is one with Fibro who will not admit it. Also use to have lots of allergies. But refuses to admit to the fibro or go to a doctor. I've had lots of knee pain in past years so I have lots of different kinds of supports/braces.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sorry you are missing church!

Yeah, rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no pain at all and 10 being the worst pain you've ever felt. That is such a philosophically difficult question! I don't remember what no pain at all feels like! The worst is probably knife-stabbing, needle-probing-for-IV pain that lasts while I'm about to faint. Dental drilling when I'm already on so many pain meds I need twice as much Novacaine - pain. The kind of exquisitely severe pointed pain you know is coming so your whole body tenses up in anticipation? I had a stone in my sub-lingual salivary duct a few years ago - now THAT was pain! The ENT MD probing around in there while I was totally, extremely conscious for a stone the size of something you would use in a piece of jewelry. I think she had something equal to miniature salad tongs slid down this tiny hole which is only designed to expel saliva and not to admit anything - that was incredibly painful. But I'm so well bred I can't burst into tears or beg her or bribe her to stop, so I shut up and put up.

Where did I wander? Oh, my ordinary, constant companion pain. Medicated, I can talk through it and be in a good mood and hug and be nice to my family. I sure can get crabby, grouchy and mean. It's achy and burning and squeezing and it hurts to move and it hurts to stay still. Not meat-hooks, so clearly not the SEVERE pain of fibro, but it's so bad that I wake up in pain and I fall asleep because Tizanidine knocks me out.

I'm clearly addicted to klonazepam. I thought tramadol was non-addictive? I'm addicted to having my pain kept at bay! It definitely takes more drug to subdue it, once it's gotten the upper hand, than it does to stay ahead of it!

I can't keep a 3-day supply with me at all times! Medicaid won't let me have that much extra!! (Or is it Medicare part D now?) But that's a fabulous idea! I have some pills I am supposed to take 2x a day and some 3x a day. Some with food and some without. Right now I'm taking them all in 3 batches, but if I were in the hospital, they'd wake me up to take the tid ones in the middle of the night. I have to figure out a better schedule for myself.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Carrie, I get my meds thru Plan D. Medicare recently changed me from my first choice BC/BS to another one that has no monthly premium. Another financial blessing. I get a month's supply of everything and buy some by the hundreds myself to get the savings(the monthly copay for almost 4 months would be more than the price of 100 pills). I also carry high protein bars with me as well as some SlimFast bars so I have food with me all the time to take pills with. And I usually keep water and often Glucerna(no, I'm not a diabetic. It came from the food bank)with me in the van.

According to the pocket/softback PDR Ultrim/Tramadol can be both physically and mentally addictive. If you have ever had addiction to any narcotic like percocet, etc. you are at high risk for addition to Ultrim/Tramadol. I only use Percocet if the usual mix of Gabapentin/generic Excedrin/Tramadol doesn't give reasonably good results. By then at least 2 hours have passed so I feel safe. But I do stay close to a phone handset or my cell phone just in case I have an unusual reaction.

I moved the 'fridge last night so I could get that one really dirt drawer out. Of course I had it totally emptied when I moved it and it is on rollers but it is still kind of heavy. But, since I live alone there was nothing else to do. I've moved it many times before. Ended up cleaning the whole 'fridge which is why I was up so late and my shoulder/biceps hurt so much today. I'm about ready to try to put some TENS patches on the left one.

Don't depend on hospital personnel to give you meds the first 2 days you are there. Always carry at least that much of every med you take with you to any doctor appointment and certainly to the hospital. Don't tell the staff you have them with you or they may confiscate them. Just have them there in case the doctor takes 18 hours or more to write prescription orders for you. And snack foods in case he/she fails to write dietary orders. I have learned all this the hard way. The staff's hands are tired until that doctor writes the orders so fussing at them is pointless and just makes them stay away from you except when they absolutely have to take vitals, etc. Oh, yes, always take a weekender case packed with 2 - 4 days of PJs, duster/bathrobe, houseslippers, hair brush, toothbrush, etc. just in case you end up getting sent directly to a hospital. It is easier to take all that back home than to have to send someone after them.

Hope this has helped someone. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I always take a list of all my drugs with me to the hospital. In fact, that's how I got through menopause!

Separate story: In 2001, I had rolling pneumonia & influenza simultaneously. In 1998, I had chemotherapy for the MS at age 37 which was predicted to have a chance of putting me into immediate chemical menopause. I was on The Pill which sort of over-rode any hormonal signals coming - or not - from my body. So in 2001, of course I had a list of all my meds inside the medicine cabinet, but ovcon-35 wasn't on it, because I'd been taking it FOREVER and it was only one pill. I ripped the list off the medicine cabinet and gasped all the way to the hospital - no toothbrush, no PJs, no nothing. So when they were writing up my orders, they didn't see any birth control pills on there, they didn't write any. I was approximately unconscious for the next 6 weeks! When I, miraculously, lived, my mom said, hmm, can I say this on here? She said my cycle had not continued in its normal way during my unconscious period. I had gone through menopause!

This was a result of Cytoxan, of course, but my internist ran a number of different of hormonal studies on me before she agreed with me - at 40, I was completely, totally, post-menopausal! With barely a symptom.

Back to Medicaid/Medicare, I think, Medicaid pays my copays but I'm not sure. All I know is, I cannot get a three month supply; they can't refill anything sooner than about two days before it's due. It means an awful lot of running back and forth to the pharmacy!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I've managed to work with my pharmacy to get nearly all of my meds refilled at the same time. I think mine has a 5 day 'mercy' period. At least the old plan did. This month will tell us what the new company will be like.

It sounds as tho your hospital didn't contact your doctor or your doctor didn't go thru your records well or it would have showed up that you were on that medication. It is no wonder there are so many malpractice suits. I told them when I gave my med list at the second hospital last time that I knew I was forgetting at least one and would tell them as soon as I remembered it. Fine.When I did remember it they took till the next day to notify the doctor & he didn't write the order for it until he wrote out my discharge papers and listed it on there for me to take at home as usual.

TID schedule is usually 6a -2 p - 10p. No need to wake the patient up in the middle of the night.

Youngest DD just left for home. She got here about 3, we ate burgers cooked on the Rival indoor electric grill, potato salad, pickles, pickled beets & steamed green beans. We went down to visit with Kyle and Holly for a while. I ate 3 pieces of pizza. I need to take some Metamucil to absorb the fat. And finish making the jello I started to make earlier today.

LOL......... I won't get into all of this discussion..... re: specific meds, etc.......however I do have a couple things to input....yes "tid" is typically "6 - 2 - 10p"...However some Drs write "tid" when the med is most effective when given q 8 hrs...thus, ideally it would be 6a, 2p & 10p, but some hosps do 8 - 4 - 12m or whatever, I do have a fair bit of knowledge and personal experience. But, I don't claim to know it all nor do I know what is best for anyone but me (& often I'm wrong there, even!)... - with chronic pain.... treatment must be so individualized that what works for 1 may not work for another
2- there is a great big differemce between dependance on a medication and addiction......addiction is typically viewed by med professionals as a disease. The disease of addiction includes drug seeking behavior and other behaviorial "red flags"
on the other hand....Dependance is a naturall and expected result of being on any of many medications used to treat chronic pain and many other chronic conditions........Diabetics are "depentant" on insulin!.................what, for many of us is so terrably unfortunate is that much of the medical and non-medical community does NOT seem to grasp this difference ....indeed, many will not even try.
I, personally make every effort to stay as informed as possible about my meds, meds currently being used or tested to treat any of my conditions AND my Drs. documentation.
I have become amazed at the inaccuracies in documentation (keep in mind that I deal with the VA medical system!), but I have seen it in civilianhospital documentation, civilian office visit documentataion, etc. When there is something of major importance that is errantly documented,.... I make every effort to get it corrected, or at least insert my notes into the file. This can be a very critical factor in the way that chronic pain patients are treated by other drs. in the future. (FYI--a personal diary or journal IS a legal document. Keep a journal of your treatment!)
And That's only my 2 cents worth...........Life really is like a box of chocolates!
---Sheri--------May our Lord bless and keep you all in peace.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Sheri, I sure don't know it all either. Sorry if I came across that way. I gather you are still working with VA documentation? I have run across a lot of errors too but seemed to have no power to do anything about it even tho I was the patient. Like the DNR band that got put on me a few months ago in a hospital. Of course it was removed, disposed of, later denied, etc. I'm a full code patient so that upset me a lot.

I don't do much if any documenting that anyone including my family could get ahold of. I don't trust anyone that much. I've seen written material used against people instead of used to support, defend, and help them all too often. My family doesn't ask for much information regarding my health and I don't volunteer much as little things don't seem to be taken very seriously. For instance if I fall and have bruises it is dismissed or there are hints that maybe it isn't safe for me to be living alone. Instead of just filing the information in their minds and telling the doctor about it should I end up with what looks as tho it might be a clot they make me feel even more insecure. And checking on me frequently to see if I am still ok would be nice. I could be dead for days and no one would know but my online family because you are the only ones who check on me daily. Between this forum/thread and one other one someone is always on the watch for me. That is just the way it is and I have learned to accept it. I did hear from our oldest son who is an OTR driver this evening. He usually checks up on me once a week or so.

Leaf - My stating that I don't claim to know it all had nothing whatsoever to do with you. that is not at all how i meant it , nor is it how I interpreted any of what you wrote. You gave some very good info that is of great benefit. Please don't anyone think that I am passing judgement...that is not me....I just share my heart and dont mince words.... I try to carefully word things and sometimes I am still missunderstood...But believe me ,I speak with words of love , though and total sincerety. If I take the time to write, it is only because I care.
Hugs,
Sheri

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello all, I try to take time each night before my sleep meds kick in and see what is going on here on this thread. I hope you are all well and having a good day. I have been busy getting ready for my new home and my fibromyalgia is raring its ugly head. The old devil can't stand it when you receive Blessings from above. He has to try to get me down right when I need my strength. Please say a prayer for me. We have friends and family coming this weekend to help raise the walls. Sort of like the old barn raisings I have read about. So I am trying to rake and pick up sticks around the houseplace. We had a wind storm saturday night. The sticks were terrible today. I got alot of sun today and even more dirt. I was so dusty I had to spray off outside. But I had a productive day. My Dear brother helped and we have things looking good. Now to buy groceries to feed the crowd. I plan on a simple hotdog or burger but it will take alot of work. I am so glad you guys understand how tired I get. I know everyone does but this fatigue is from the fibro I am sure. I need an energy boost of some kind. Any ideas on ways to boost energy? Natural not with pills I take too many now I hate to swallow more. God Bless and keep each of you.

Burlington, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Scraps, Wow, a new home how wonderful. Fibro acting up, not so wonderful!!
When I need a boost of energy, I grab a handful of nuts. It really does help. Must be the protien.
Also divvy out the work. One can set up, one can make a dish to pass, etc.
Try to take it easy the day before. (Iknow that's easy to say)
Have a nice time with your family and friends!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I eat eggs. Perfect protein.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks you guys I will try anything right now. I know this heat and humidity drains me but I feel extra fatigued.( we have had 95 to 100 degrees and muggy ) I am taking it easy today because I have to go buy supplies to feed the group tomorrow. I will have to help hubby this evening but I am not doing yardwork today. Then Friday I will rest up some for the big day saturday and maybe sunday. We don't like working on sunday but they may have to in order to get roof on. If it does not rain before then. have a good day .

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, have a magnificent day Scraps!

Hard boiled eggs & almonds - I try to always have each with me. A glass of OJ id always good for me too.
I will be praying for you this weekend, Scraps & would love to put you on my churchs prayer list (hate to use "Scraps" though!) LOL...God would know just the people praying would probably think a strange name. no matter. Rest well and just try to take in a little snack nibble frequently + STAY HYDRATED (sorry for being so loud)
My Grampa used to share of barn raisings in ND. Then they would have a big barn dance & he'd play the fiddle! May God bless you and all that are helping with this wonderful event.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

P. Butter on cinnamon graham crackers. One of my favorite comfort/energy foods. When I feel low blood sugar attacks I eat that or buy a Reeses p. butter cup. I'll keep you in my prayers. Blessings do seem to bring on attacks from the enemy. But greater is HE who is in you than he who is in the world. So you win.

I didn't eat properly today so I'm feeling lousy right now. This is also my second time to try Lyrica. that may be part of the reason I feel like I do. I just feel like a vibrator has been turned on inside my body. So shakey feeling. But I did eat a good hearty supper so if it is blood sugar it should be normal pretty soon. I have had a lot less pain today with the Lyrica.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I forgot PB on graham crackers! with milk, of course! Believe it or not, I lost weight by eating that every evening. My current (forever) husband dislikes PB, and my DD has celiac disease, so I never think of graham crackers and PB any more. . . I was kind of in a hypoglycemic episode 25 years ago (before I was dx with MS) and I was baking cookies and eating them all and then feeling really woozy.

Come to think of it those were probably MS sx. actually! (Typical.) Anyway one of my 6 small high protein meals every day was PB, graham crackers and milk! Then I lost weight.

Would those of you trying Lyrica please share how it is working and how you are feeling. Reading Leaflady's post that it helped the pain is very cool, but there seem to be so many other side effects that I am very leery of trying it. Anyway, I would love to know more of peoples REAL experience with it both + and -, to assist me in maybe taking that step.
As I have stated before, I really want to get off of my opioid, but have been on them for 20+ years, If Lyrica can help with that and the side effects are such that I cold live with I may try it. At least then if I ever had a need for serious pain mgmt (post op, injury,l etc...my body would not already be used to the max pain med as a daily regime)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It must have been low blood sugar because in an hour or so I stopped the vibrator feelings. I still didn't get much done this evening because I couldn't find all of my food processor. Hopefully there will be one at the thrift store I can get for a good price. No, I'm not going to shred that large zuke by hand.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Glad you're feeling better, leaflady!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm going to start a new thread. This one has 118 replies and if someone is on dialup that is too long. So see everyone at the new thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.