Bluestone's 1/2 off sale....

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

We got there late around 10:00 am and a lot of plants were already gone, so I'm not sure what will be left by Saturday.... That is why I went today.

They had the funniest looking carts. When you first saw them they looked like a bicycle without the rear tire. Talk about trying to balance plants on those carts. It really took the two of us to do it. One in front and one in back pushing.

There were so many plants. I've never been to anything like this before... Yes I know such a sheltered life I've lead up till now....LOL

By the way I'm the silly one in the hat.

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

here is the view from the back of the truck, but the hanging baskets don't let ya see all of the plants. I think total between the two of us, we came home with 9 flats. It was 30.00 for a flat and if you could get a lot of plants in that flat then you went home with a ton of plants.... I had 6 packs hanging on the edges around most of my flats.

I will have to say that some of the flats were for our garden club. I'm the secretary and the gal with me is the President and we have our annual plant exchange coming up next week so a few of the flats are for raffle gifts and same with the hanging baskets.

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm also the newsletter editor and our adventures there are going in the newsletter titled: The adventures of your President and Secretary.....

We didn't get back home till 2:00 and I was beat. I don't know what I would have done had I not taken my hat. One of the ladies from there suggested that I make sure to bring one as the hoop houses start getting hot around 11 am.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Here are just a few of the plants that I brough home as well as the replacement plants for those that died in shipment.
These pictures are taken from their web site.

Well I keep hitting that send button instead of the browse...

This message was edited Jun 12, 2008 9:15 PM

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

This is Aquilegia Lime Sorbet

They had two types of sales. One was the hoop house plants which were somewhat neglected and then the sale building which had all kinds of finds.

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

This is Echinops Artic Glow

Ouch best describes getting this one planted.

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

This one is Tradescantia osprey I got ever color they had....LOL

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Polemonium Apricot D

This one is going right next to my jacobs ladder. Just a soft little flower.

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I only was able to get 4 plants in the new flower bed tonight before I just gave out.... not to mention my collie telling me it was time to go in.... 9:30....ha ha ha

Brunnera Jack Frost 02

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

ok last one for tonight as I can't hardly keep my eyes open.

Lamium Pink Pewter..... got one in every color of these as well.....

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Now I'm drooling on my keyboard...what fun!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm SOOOOOO jealous!!!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I will have to say, for the most part folks were very nice but then we weren't there at the very first when they opened up. You can sure bet that I'm going to be taking a vacation day next year and will be there a half hour before they open so that I can run for a 4 wheel cart.....LOL
Janet

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I went Friday afternoon, was not crowded at all, got a 4 wheeled cart. Much easier to maneuver then the one wheeled cart that the employees use, I know cause that use to be all they had at one time.
I got 2 flats one at the clearance price of $30./flat and the other flat actually 3/4 flat at 1/2 price $45.00
Also bought 3 geraniums at $1.50 each. They had big hanging baskets for $9.00 but I have no place left to hang any.
I found everything I had on my list. One of the ladies at check out when back to find my hosta "Fragrant Bouquet" that I could not find. I guess I looked tired by the time I got to check out and the hostas when at the back of the building. I went Gallardia happy, picking out 3 different types, could have bought more but where to put them in the garden was an issue.
Got a Viburnum carlesii compacta that I will pot up and baby for a few seasons, they flower in the spring and are very fragrant. Been wanting one for a long time. If a plant label says fragrant I want it!
So if it is not pouring rain this weekend I'll be out planting.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

ladygardener1 where are your pictures....I wanta see.

Aren't they the most helpful people. I had one lady there that helped me so much she when to find out the answers to my questions and then spend goodness only knows how much time trying to find me to relay the answers to me. Their customer service is wonderful.

I had several plants that died from my second order from them and they replaced with no problems at all.

So they took the hanging plants down from 12.50 to 9.00 wow wonderful what they are today....rofl

Glad you were able to get a 4 wheeler
Janet

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow. I need to come up with an excuse to be in the area next year!

Janet, I did not get pictures yesterday of Bluestone, I guess I ran out of steam, it was really hot, and a thunderstorm was rumbling in. I'll get pictures of the flats and plants to post.
I wore my DG tee shirt yesterday and got a good comment from one of the ladies working there, she said how good we are to them with our reviews.
Even the folks shopping were nice, I was telling a lady about my Daphine Carol Mackie and she found me to show off the one she was going to buy. Glad I went Friday I bet today will be a real zoo!
Chris

Ok Picture time!!!!
All the plants from Bluestone.
The following pictures will be of the plants in groups of three with name.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

3 "Exotic" Geraniums 1 Tricolor and 2 Griffiti Fire

a close up of the bloom on Griffiti Fire

My short Plant selection,
Papaver- Champagne Bubbles
Companula- Dickson's Gold
Anemone- Annebella White

Note: all pictures the name's will run bottom to top or left to right

Shade:
Pulmonaria- Barfield Pink
Primula_ Vialii Miracle
Hosta Fragrant Bouquet

Gillardia:

Bijou
Golden Goblin
Dazzler
aristata Tokajer

Perovskia- Abrotinoides
Salvia- nem. Plumosa
Stachys-Chinook

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

This is just torture....LOL Gorgeous bunch you got there!!!

Achillea-The Beacon
Penstemon-Red Rocks
Stokesia- Mary Gregory

Mums:
Mary Stoker
Ruby Breithaupt
Pretty Penny ( had to have it- my little dog's name is Penny)

Coreopsis- Jethro Tull
Lemon Verbena

Shurbs:
Viburnim -carlesii Compacta
Leptodermis-Oblonga
Tamarix- Pink Cascade (not sure what it is but had to try it-need to do a search)

Last picture is a close up of the blooms on the Leptodermis

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

My goodness, what a haul Ladygardener!

I wish I'd bought more on the half-price internet sale. I have potted up my clematis Josephine and Guernsey Cream in pots on 40" tall tripods and have them in a south-facing window. They look very charming and are already about twice as tall as when they arrived at the end of May. I hope they will do ok inside because they look too fragile to me to put out in the hot sun, and I saw a mama deer and her tiny baby in the back yesterday. So far they haven't come near my puny little garden. They could wipe it out in five minutes.

Looking at all the pictures is making me feel left out. I know the first posts I go to on DG are the ones with pictures. Can anyone suggest a camera that isn't too expensive and is basic, but good for uploading to DG? My cell phone has a camera on it, but I have given up trying to send pictures from it to my email. I need a decent camera and understandable instructions. Any advice is welcome.

Pam I use a Canon PowerShot A720, bought it for it's 6X optical Zoom.
I can stand far away and get the shots that I would miss if I was up close. This is my second digital. Bought it through Amazom.com less the $200.00 I did buy an other memory card as the one that came with it only took 5 pictures.
All camera have a learning curve but you can master the basics in a short time.
Example of the zoom, taken from across the watergarden, frog would have jumped away if I walked over closer.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

What you want to look for is the amount of optical zoom. I won't consider anything less than 10x for myself but ymmv. Most of them have digital zoom but that's pretty meaningless. Also image stabilization is a must, especially if you're not an experienced photographer. Other things to look at are the number of megapixels. The higher the number, the larger the prints you can make. You probably want at least 5 o 6 mp nowadays. You'll definitely want macro settings and look for others such as landscape, night, etc. that you will want to use.

Other things to look at are:

What kind of memory card it uses and you will definitely want to buy a larger one. The ones that come with the cameras are a joke. Don't get a huge one, though. If you have all your photos on one card and that card goes bad, you'll lose all your photos. Also, make sure it comes with a usb cable or you buy one with the camera.

What kind of batteries does it use and will it get a decent amount of use per charge? You will probably want to invest in rechargable batteries but a camera that eats batteries can cost a lot in buying batteries fast.

Most of the point and shoot digital cameras are really easy to use. Play with some at the store and see which ones you like.

You can also look at excellent, very detailed reviews here.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

And some easy to understand basics here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/4520-7603_7-5023995-1.html

What you don't need is an expensive, fancy camera. Too many amateurs spend a fortune on SLR digitals that they don't begin to have the experience to use.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

The best camera supply store available :-)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Watch out for the mailorder super discount camera places. Often they're selling non-US versions of cameras that don't have the normal warranties. Found that out myself the hard way several years ago. :>(

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Good thing about B&H - NOT a super discount one :-)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Yes, wasn't trying to imply that. Sorry for the juxtaposition.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Course I'm a Canon Girl to...agree with what hart's said already as optical zoom is the first thing I look at after pixels...after those I NEED a super macro and image stabilizer...which of course my handy dandy Canon Power Shot has. Mine is a bit of an older model - hart (lucky duck) has the newer one. But still mine does ok by me

Thumbnail by Chantell
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Actually, I think the quality of the lens and optical zoom are far more important than megapixels. Just about anything unless it's really cheap is going to have at least 5 mps. Unless you're planning on blowing up all your photos into monster posters, that's plenty. More mps doesn't mean better pictures, just the ability to print larger ones.

I have the Powershot S51S, which is a great camera and not terribly expensive but it's a lot more camera than anyone needs who isn't a little bit experienced. However, if you want to go that route, it's very easy to use at the auto settings level, has all kinds of great options in auto and it has a 12x optical zoom, which is equivalent to a bit over 400mm lens. I really like the speed too. It's much faster shot to shot than my old Olympus. Of course the memory card can have an effect on that too.

And if you do really get into photography, it gives you the option of manual settings and some ability to add other lenses if you buy a converter. These cameras are the midline between a point and shoot and an SLR.

It's a nice, small camera too and lightweight but might be more than someone who wants a pocket camera would want to carry around.

By the way, one little tip for everyone. If you notice the quality of your photos going down, try replacing your memory card. They do get scratched and worn and that will have an impact on your photos.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Good info on SD cards Hart - I'll remember that - I need to get a new SD card for my Panasonic Z50 before I leave on vacation...I do love my little Canon PS G9 - it is compact with the same capabilities as my larger Z50 - easy to carry around and has every bell & whistle you need (and don't) - plenty of good deals to be found - http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=15669#ModelDetailAct

The optical zoom is a bit low - but, I love the picture quality!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.