Ok,lets all see your front porch!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

ssshhhhh! Its a secret.....

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well kept one too!!!!LOL

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

tropicman the flowers on the left are carribean queen begonias.the tall plants on left are pink cone ginger

Thumbnail by candela
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks
They reminded me of a petasities,Japanese butter bar plant ,also a rice paper plant,for this is what mine looks like a few days after they break ground.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

My dad stole the camera from me on the one day I was gonna finally take pics. LOL. I'll have to steal it back tomorrow before everything gets beaten up by upcoming storms this week.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Heck of a rainstorm here lastnite,raised the water level of my pond a good 2 inches,and it's lightning again outside tonite!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Don't go flying any kites, Don!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm home!

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am at someone else's home>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This not my beautiful house>

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Great going!!!!
First of all what is that blue flower,vining out of that pot,and can you grow it from seed?
Second what is the white flowering tree,things we don't see here in Kansas.
Third is that Boston Ivy growing up the walls?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'm with Don, Dale - please supply some details! That blue is very striking! And your porch says "comfort" in a big way. The other two are beautiful but comfort - not so much.

Yokwe,
Shari

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We seldom use the front door. Always come down the side and into the back.

Christi

Thumbnail by LouC
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

The first is Trialing Lobelia in a strawberry jar. Easy from seed, takes about 4 months to flower.
The second was Kew, London 1990 and I have no clue, might be Ceanothus
The third Paris, France 1990 is what we call Boston Ivy at Marie Antoinette's brother's house in a park known as Bois de Boulogne.

I took this one at Bois de Boulogne also>

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh my. I sure picked a good spot to post. Before and after the palace. whhooops

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hmm didn't know there was a trailing lobelia.Will have to keep an eye open for some.
I would love to visit Kew some day!
Christi,any particular reason you don't use the front door?
Do lots of people in the south use the side door.
I remember my Moms family living in Greenville Alabama,the front porch was the meeting place where friends and family would gather in the evenings and talk and visit,and you were always having to move a plant just to find a place to sit,and you always made sure you put the plant right back in it's spot before you left,or you heard about it the next day!!!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Another front entry in Kew

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Never gave it much thought, Don. As I consider it, most everyone uses other entrances to their homes too. We always know we have a stranger if someone comes to the front door. Might be a good subject for an article by someone. Or better yet, start a thread asking others about their habits.

We tend to always be in the backyard or the sunroom on the back of the house. Can't hear the doorbell most of the time so everyone comes to the back because they know that's where we are and they are always welcome. Use the back deck in the same manner the deep south uses a large front porch. Not many houses built in the last 50 years have a sweeping veranda.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Everyone,
We use our front door, but don't have much of a porch. Just enough for a loveseat and that's about it. Very few homes in our area have porches.

Great to see the beautiful pictures!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha All,

I don't have a real front porch either - in my dreams I would have a gracious verandah like you see in the South, full of ferns, hanging baskets and white wicker furniture! This is what we make do with...

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
mulege, Mexico

The lobelia looks like Crystal Palace which mounds and trails beautifully.

katiebear

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

This picture doesn't do it justice. Only the beginning of a beautiful spot in paradise.

Not to say this isn't a wonderful entrance. Just that there is more to come on the other side. aaaaahhhhhh

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Jen, That is GORGEOUS! Nothing wrong with that at all! Just lovely!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Jenny
That says aloha to me!!!!
Very tropical looking,and a very welcome feeling!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Update on porch,few more things to look at.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

again

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

more

Thumbnail by Tropicman

I can really see the hail damage on a couple of those plants. Yikes!!

Port Saint Lucie, FL(Zone 9b)

not quite a front porch, but its still cool. we put a pond in almost 8 years ago when we first moved here, after years of being eaten alive by mosquitos we screened it in. the giant rock for the top water fall came from a burger king drive thru. we busted out a little pond in the top of it and made a waterfall in the front of it. i grow all my prize peppers inside along with my rabid eggplant and my papayas. we used to have a variety of tropical fish in the pond but an unusually cold winter killed everything but the turtle and the sucker fish. we had a bad guppy problem anyways.

Thumbnail by ly057

and

Thumbnail by ly057

the light house is the remains of an old sat tv dish pole left by the former inhabitants. those are bonsai junipers and bougainvilleas in the rock as well. i grow everything back there. its perfect for my orchids and anything else.

Thumbnail by ly057
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Iy057
Cool lighthouse,nice clear water also!
Probably because of the great humidity ,that the plants love!!!

Hey Don, you are indeed Tropicman - the plants look gorgeous! I can't for the life of me know why you need new carpeting, it looks perfect to me.

ly, what a unique and lovely way to enter your home...and with all the humidity I bet your orchids are to die for! I kill every orchid I put my hands on, have you seen Shari and JP's orchids, they have the golden touch! As for Carol's orchid (and lots of other things) tree stump - WOW!

Christi, I've told you before - I lust after your lovely stone walkway, it's so pretty and so suits your pretty home. Love to Mike while I am at it!

Come on everyone, lets see your porches! This is such a fun idea Don!

Aloha,

Jen

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Jen,
That is the new carpet,the other just like this one,lasted 21 years,if this new carpet last 21 years I'll be a happy gardener!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Goodness, Jen and Don. On my screen it says you posted at 2:08 AM and 4:48 AM respectively. Never know who's time it is...yours or mine.

Guess I'm a late morning. 8:08 AM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Christi, the time on your screen is your time. If it says 2:08 and they are on the West Coast then their time of posting would have been 12:08 their time. My screen says you posted the above at 9:08AM

LOL! according to me you posted at 2.08pm, 6 hour time difference, complicated isn't it? I must watch the time of Shari's posting next time, it's even a different day! Thanks for clearing that up for us Dale!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi, love. Hope everyone is doing ok at your house. Going to see the doc tomorrow. surgery is next.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Aloha everyone! Dale, that last one was very pretty. I have always loved porches, and the idea of sitting on my porch sipping sweet tea and watching the world go by, but I had Never had a porch until my house in Denver, and even though it is still my house, someone else is living there at the moment. Just remembered that, so thought I'd post this...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

That te Denver house or Island house? I'm betting Denver. lol. I will TRY to get pics tomorrow. I think I will be home tomorrow. lol. Had to get my truck out of the shop today-had to have radiator flushed, it was naaaasssty in there- then had a riding lesson right after that. lol. And let's hope it don't rain tomorrow either!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.