A New May Blooms Thread

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Shanika, I have heard great things about the The Violet Showcase or Cape Cod Violetry for supplies. I think you have to send $2.00 for a Cape Cod book but I have heard they have great things with reasonable shipping.

Hope this helps.

Kim

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi All,
Got my new charger today and boy am I thankful... Here is my little episcia Strawberry Patch.. It is such a cutie....
Hope everyone is Great and having fun with your plants...
Hugs,
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
(Zone 1)

Oh Susan, she is beautiful! I think I have Strawberry Patch somewhere! The only Episcia that has ever bloomed for me is Pink Panther! What are you feeding your plants? I guess if I fertilized more often I might get blooms, huh? I am such a bad plant mommy, never feeding my brood! I seem to go in spurts ... get on a roll and do good for a short while and then all of a sudden forget about feeding. ^_^

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Lin,
Right off the bat I can't remember the name of it... but it is a 20/20/20 I use very little at all times when I water... I got her because at the time it seemed all I had were purple flowers on everything...LOL
Hugs,
Susan

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a question and I am hoping someone can help me here. I think my lights were to close to my leaves as they seem to be crisp... I think someone said something here not to long ago about this but I can't find it... But what do you do if your plant is blooming and hitting the lights? That can't be good can it? Also my one big episcia I think her name is Green Goddess seems to have crispy leaves also... I hope someone can understand what I am trying to say...LOL I did buy a used book last night on line about indoor growing with lights... Maybe that will help... Well not sure if anything can help me...LOLOLOLOL
Thanks for any help.
Susan

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

That is absolutely stunning Susan! Congratulations! I love the pink leaves!

Here is a neat color combination I thought went well. This is my only Tulip that bloomed *lol* and the first Iris to open up :)

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Closeup of the Tulip

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Closeup of the Iris

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm glad I moved this as it didn't bloom in my shade bed.

Vinca

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm SOOOO proud of this baby :)
It's my one and only survivor from a Bristol's Surprise Party leaf :)
I know I should have cut the flower off but I just couldn't *lol*

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Fire and Ice got jealous that Bristol's Surprise Party got to go play in the phlox so I just had to take her out too *lol*

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

And wouldn't you know it, I come in and Tamiana wants to know if her turn next *lol*

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

That silly Tamiana just wanted to wander everywhere once she got outside *lol* She even found my shade bed and wanted her picture taken with a developing Lady Slipper :)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Susan, sorry, got a little sidetracked there. I have never been good with episcia so should really just sit back and see what everyone else says but it sounds like lack of humidity to me and/or too close to the lights. I only have 1 episcia and it's very small but in a bubble bowl as I killed all the ones (except one that I'm hoping Dimmer will be able to save when I make her box) I had.

Sorry, I know that isn't much help :(

Kim

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Kim...I LOVE that..your streps out playing in the phlox..LOL..so clever you are!! Wow that really makes for a wonderful backdrop for your beauties!
Susan..Strawberry Patch is so pretty!!...I always need to keep my episcias domed or they will do that..get all crispy..lol...not necessarily the reason yours are but I have awful luck with them no matter what I try..not enough humidity here to keep them happy..Hope someone who grows them well(not me) will be along to give you some advice...

(Zone 1)

Susan: It does sound as though your plants with crispy leaves may be too close to the lights. Do you have the kind of lights that can be raised or lowered? If you can't raise them any higher I would move those plants that are real close to the light bulbs or you will have a bunch of crispy critters.

Kim: What AWESOME photo's! I am loving how your Bristol's Surprise Party and Fire and Ice Streps look amongst the Phlox! And Wow, Chirita tamiana is soo pretty with the phlox and with that Lady Slipper! I would love to be able to grow lady slipper orchids but they are not for this zone, unfortunately. They are just so dainty and gorgeous!

Really great photo's!

edited to add: Susan, the ladies are correct. I can only seem to grow episcia's in a terrarium type setting! I guess they love humidity!

This message was edited May 20, 2008 7:58 PM

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you SO MUCH Lin :) I had alot of fun playing pictures today :)
I so cherish every bloom and think of some of the funniest "poses" for them *lol*

Susan, I JUST had a lightbulb go on. You have all new bulbs in your stand right? They are REALLY REALLY strong when you put new bulbs in. I would recommend doming the things that you can and maybe raising the bulbs higher if possible. They recommend only changing 1 bulb at a time because replacing 2 is just too much. I remember when my bulbs were brand new I was having alot of problems and finally learned that this was the reason. It takes a while for the bulbs to not be as bright and strong.

Lin, thank you again. I love playing with my babies :) It's so nice to have blooms to play with :) I am SO grateful :)

XO
Kim

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Kim, Your flowers are beautiful... I think it must be the lights because we don't have any air on yet and here in Danville it so humid it is awful... even though it has been raining on and off it is still humid... If it was humidity what would I do to raise it?
Do you put your plants outside in the summer? I have very few house plants now as I made room for my streps mostly and I have some episcia and I am still trying to figure out what and how to grow them... Now I do have one big one and she blooms for me but it has crisps end on the leaves.... Oh well I will get it one of these days....
I have the same Tamiana that is above two posts with this one included... I have a fire and ice but no where near blooming... So Kim when you bought the strep leaves awhile back how did those grow for you? I did pretty good but also lost my fair share..
Thanks for helping...
Hugs,
Susan

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a hard time growing things in terrarium's as my things tend to get moldy.. I know to much water... I can't seem to hit a happy place with them.... So my episcia's are doomed if I don't put them in a terrarium? I am going to raise the lights before going to bed... What I may do is take the bigger ones I have streps and episcia's and just put them in a tray and not on a grid and water them... This way they won't be higher then they have to be.. I can slant the lights to be high on one end and lower on the other... I just have 2 new bulbs that I used and also wanted to ask about that they only had what they called sunshine bulbs are these ok? The two new bulbs are on the plants that are crispy and that makes sense. So up they go... Thanks for all the help...
Hugs,
Susan

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

hi Susan, I grow some episcias outdoors in shade in the summer. In the fall, I take cuttings and winter them indoors. They generally like warm - mostly they will pout when the nights go below 65F - roughly speaking - and will start dying off much lower. This means they go outdoors late and come in early (I usually take cuttings tho, and let the main plant die off in the fall). I have gotten crispy edges from too much light - very easy to do. They grow better for me off the side of the shelves, and not under the lights.

Some episcias will take more light than others, and some will take less humidity than others... so by all means, experiment.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Ki,
Thanks for the info... I don't think I could put them outside, we get so many bugs here that for sure the Japanese beetles would eat it.. My bigger one is off to the side and seems to be doing pretty good... I am sending a few pictures these are all the purples I have blooming at one time...
Thanks again...
Susan
PS be right back have to resize the pictures.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Someone messed with this computer today and I can't see a single picture! My daughter is putting the kids down for the night. I will have to come back later the see the pretty pics!

Oh, by the way, I just received a big order from Cape Cod Violetry of pots and they are the best!!!!!! All the 3" squatty pots are ugly these days but all other sizes are very sturdy and great pots.

I am going to order my next lights from Indoor Gardening Supply based on recommendations from friends in the AV club.

Violet Show case has good pots and supplies, too. You can download their cata log on adobe.

Chat later

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi All,
Ok here is the biggest episcia I have and it is Green Goddess and the next will be a group picture of my purples...LOL
Hope you are having a good time with your kids Gail... Always a joy...
Hugs,
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

group picture.
Sue

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Awesome group pic Susan..how gorgeous..wow with yours and Kims pics she posted earlier this has been a real treat tonight! Hope you are having fun gail : )

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Nice group shot!

I don't have many bugs here so I don't know.... They can be grown in ultra dry air too, but they don't look as nice.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Goodness Nance, I didn't even see your post above. Thank you SO much for the compliment :) I love "playing around" with flowers :) It really brightens my day. I have NEVER had more than one flower blooming at a time so it's a real treat for me to have flowers :) I am totally loving it :)

I really am a nerd........talking about my plants like they're people *lol* Each one has it's own personality and means something special to me. Man, I need a life *lol*

So glad you can all understand :)

Goodnight everyone, sleep well and for those that watch American Idol........I could just squeeze you David Archuleta :)

XO
Kim

(Zone 1)

Susan, what an awesome picture of that group of Strep's! Really pretty!

I started out growing Episcia's in covered glass containers but had a few rot because they were just too wet. All of my Episcia's (with the exception of a couple of small cuttings that are rooting in the terrarium) are now in open containers. I have LFS on the top of the soil around the base of the plants. I keep it moist and they seem to be doing really well on the light stands. I just need to feed them so maybe I can get blooms! LOL.

I grow a lot of stuff in terrariums and I NEVER have to water! I have some terrariums that have been planted for about 3-4 years and haven't been watered in all that time. With the lids on there is plenty of moisture build up to keep them going. I am talking about my 10 gallon aquarium/terrarium and some glass jar terrariums sitting on top of the desk in the study. The terrariums with the Micro mini Sinningias on the light stands have to have the lids/plastic wrap cracked once in awhile because of too much moisture build up sometimes.

My 10 gal terrarium has become a "nursery". I began sticking leaves and cuttings in there and it's just ended up with a conglomeration of different plants. There are a couple of AV's growing in there as well as Episcia's, what looks to be Chirita (possibly tamiana cause I think I might have dumped some seeds in there awhile back), a couple of hoya leaves that I wasn't sure would root but did!, a jewel orchid and a few other little things trailing about. Oh, one lone fern that has been in there about 8 months and has attached itself to the side of the glass!

Kim: We have been faithfully watching American Idol too. I have been saying from early on that I felt the final two were going to be David and David and Syesha (sp) would be in the final three! I am so torn between the two Davids ... both amazing talents! I think David A. has much more range to his voice ... that young man can really sing! But, I love David C too ... this has been the best talent ever on AI.

Well, I'm going to watch Basketball, second half is almost over in the Boston Celtic's vs Detroit Pistons game! One point game!

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks ladies... I am very proud of myself for getting this far with the streps and the chirita's and the few others I have.... Never in my dreams did I think I could grow something from a leaf... Not me... Well I am proud to say YEAH I can...lol Does anyone here know where you can get Marathon the bug stuff that is not in a 5 gallon tub? I got it off of one of the plant places but they don't sell it anymore...
Also if anyone want poppy seeds once they turn brown just ask as I will have tons..LOL
As of this time I don't think I am going to worry about putting things in a terrarium... So far they have won and I have lost so I will maybe do at another time...
Does anyone let there leaves on there streps get really long? I think they look cool long...
Ok going to get ready for bed as tomorrow is a work day...
Hugs,
Susan

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of my Cranebill Geranium.
I grew it from a seed. They are some of my favorite flowers.

Thumbnail by makshi
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Very pretty Makshi and congratulations growing it from seed :)
They are amongst one of my favorite perennials also along with Platycodon :)
Love the hot pink coloring :)

Great growing!
Kim

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Makshi that is a great picture!! I'm so glad you posted it along with the name! I dug one of these up at an old house and transplanted it here at mine but I didn't know what it was!! I will have to look for seeds on it at the end of the season and see if I can copy you and grow more!

Kim your pictures are awesome, I got a kick out of your "posing" them (good idea!) and they look beautiful!

Susan your purple grouping was really pretty too, your doing great with those streps aren't you??

Big plans in the works for the long weekend ..... one of which is flying in a little six seater plane to the back country wilderness of Idaho and staying in a cabin for a couple of nights, my DD is forcing me to do this ^_^ with her and we better come back safe and sound on that tiny plane!!!

I have a baby Space Dust that I grew from leaf giving it's first bloom.... I haven't seen this bloom in nearly a year so it's a sight to behold!! I've shared several of these baby Space Dust plants so I hope everyone that has gotten one gets some blooms soon too!!!

~Brenda

edited to say I'd like to give David A squeeze too Kim!! Mercy what a cutie. LOL Lin I agree both David's have their pluses but David A voice is extraordinary!! They will both be big stars! A Idol is the only TV show I watch! ^_^

This message was edited May 21, 2008 10:18 AM

Thumbnail by bmedel
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Wowzers Bren.........Please be sure to be safe on that little plane with your daughter. OMG, I would just DIE! I HATE planes! There is no way I will ever fly again *lol* It really scares me too much. It sounds like you and your daughter are going to have such a special time together :) Mother/Daughter what a special memory making vacation :)

That Spacedust is just magnificent! Love the amount of fantasy it has! You know, now that you mention it, my Spacedust hasn't bloomed in a VERY long time either.....hmmm

Can't wait to hear all about your trip! Sounds like so much fun :)

XO
Kim

(Zone 1)

Brenda: Have a wonderful long weekend! That sounds like Heaven ... a cabin in the woods for a couple of days! I know I couldn't handle it longer than that. I love the peace, quiet and serenity of country but ... I also love to shop so don't like to be too far away from civilization for long! ^_^

Hee Hee ... and I LOVE to fly! No better way of travel in my book! Of course my husband is a professor at an Aeronautical University!

I haven't flown a whole lot in my lifetime and am only good for an hour or a little longer before I want to be on the ground again. The longest flight I ever made was 2 1/2 hours and I did okay but prefer shorter jaunts! Years ago we flew to Denver for a college basketball tournament. Hubby wanted to fly straight to Denver ... not me. We flew from Daytona to Charlotte N.C. to Chicago, then on to Denver! I've had a chance a few times to go to Europe and Hawaii but have passed because I just can't imagine being in an airplane for that long!

I had never flown in my life until I got married. My husbands uncle had his private pilot's license and he took us up in his small cessna 4 seat plane! I LOVED it. Then a few weeks later we were at the little airport in St. Petersburg Fla where my hubby worked as an aircraft mechanic. It was a Saturday and we were there so hubby could do some work on his car. Some guy came in the hangar who my DH had worked on his plane ... he asked if we wanted to go up for a ride and my DH said: "Sure, my wife has only flown once and loved it." Well, let me tell you ... that guy scared the living daylights out of me! Hubby was in the front with him and I was in the back seat. That guy flew out over the Gulf of Mexico doing all kind of loop de loops and scared me silly! My DH told him I had only been up in the air once and that he thought it was scaring me so he did stop the stunt flying! I couldn't wait to get back on the ground! It was a long time before I had a chance to fly again and the next time was in a commercial air plane from Daytona to Atlanta which is just about an hour flight.

About 12 years ago we were on vacation in the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee and we took a Helicopter ride! I got put in the front with the pilot and hubby was in back with another couple. DH put the camera around my neck and told me to take some good pictures! Well ... I was scared silly! Nothing but all glass front of the chopper and nothing for me to hold on to! I wanted to brace myself with my feet and there's a sign on the floor ... DO NOT PUT YOUR FEET HERE! It apparently was a rudder or something that steered the helicopter! I was shaking like crazy ... really scary - here I am from FLAT FLORIDA and this guy takes off towards the side of a mountain! I grabbed the edges of this teensy seat I was sitting on and held on for dear life! Don't think I will ever be talked into a Helicopter ride again! When we go to the bahamas it's a small plane but I think it holds about 30 people and it's only an hour flight.

Well, now that y'all know my life story, I gotta quit reminiscing here and go mow the lawn! Have a great afternoon everybody!

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

here are a few pictures to share.just wanted to mention, episcia's like warmth & water, do very well wicked.this is kiwi

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

this is night beacon

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

rob's scrumptious

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

hotsogitso

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

here is fireworks.