Ponytail Palm question

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I got this ponytail palm a couple of years ago from a friend. Is it okay to have 3 of them growing in the same pot? The ones I see around here in the plant stores only have one per pot. It has been doing very well but I have heard they get really, really big. If I do need to seperate them how do I go about this?
Thanks for any help, Gay Lynn

Thumbnail by staceysmom
(Zone 1)

Very Pretty! I would just let the three grow together, but I just like that look! I don't think they grow all that fast unless they are planted in the ground.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2312/

If you wanted 3 separate plants, it should be easy to just take them out of the pot and gently separate the roots and pot up separately.

Thanks plantladylin. I will leave well enough alone then and let it grow as is. Yup, It's been a slow grower for me. Bet you have some huge ones growing in the ground around Florida.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I have one that's now 24 years old and there are three in the pot. It hasn't bothered them at all to share for all these years. It is quite large now but they are slow growers. Like plantladylin, I like the look of three in a pot.

I like the look also. I have a neighbor who said they should not be grown together. This one has done very well for me. It is now outside in it's summer home.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I guess my plant didn't know there isn't supposed to be more than one in a pot, LOL! I have always put mine outside for the summer--it just loves it out there.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a pot with 3 ponytails in it too. It is in a 6 inch plastic pot. Is it okay to repot it into a larger pot or does it like to be rootbound? It was out all summer but I'll be bringing inside soon (zone 7-VA).

(Zone 1)

You could un pot it, take a look at the roots and repot to a larger pot. I have a Pony Tail Palm that I need to do that very thing with. I have a feeling it needs a larger pot. The last time I repotted it about 4 years ago it was so rootbound the roots were winding all around the inside of the pot and there was practically no soil left. The plant was not looking so good. It did survive but I need to check again and possibly trim the roots and repot.

I just went out and took a picture of mine. I am glad I went to look at it for a photo. I found something that looks like mildew or something on it. I really should plant this thing in the yard next spring!

Thumbnail by plantladylin

I transplanted mine earlier this summer and found the roots wound around the bottom of the pot also. Since re-potting it has grown and is doing great. Just brought mine in from spending the summer outdoors also.
plantladylin, nice looking plant there!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

They definitely fill the pot you put them in. I started with a silver dollar sized one about 8 years ago (cost a dollar or so at HD) and it is now over 7 foot tall and fills a 14 inch pot. I should move it up to a bigger pot but I hate to think about moving it in and out each year.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Wow! What are you feeding that thing?! Nice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.