Container Renovations 2! (smile)

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Janet...I think your sculptures are amazing and you should be proud! I hope you're selling some.

My plant cart is incredible! Would you believe that my Staff bought that for me last Christmas? It was apparently Old and Green and they sanded it and painted it and striped it...I just Love it...I bet you don't know anybody with a Golf cart that has a rear-view mirror and headlights! hahaha. They even furnished it with leopard seats! OMG! I have the best people that work for me!

It's just so handy for running around this house...instead of having to cart things one by one from the front to the back...I just load it up...I also bought a spreader and I use it to fertilize my lawn...usually try to do it when I think the neighbors aren't home as it looks crazy...but it works!

If anybody is looking for a really unique and beautiful easy-growing plant - You've got to try this Chinese Perfume Plant. I've had this one for about a year and it just mixes in so nicely with everything else. It also has an incredible fragrance to it.

Thumbnail by KatG

Here's a photo of my pool planter! It's looking not bad with the mix of Croton and Artillery fern. I also have 3 planted pots in there of Bottle palm and blackie sweet potato vine. I just think it really needs something else. Maybe a couple of really colorful pots?

Thumbnail by KatG

I spent some time today moving and grouping things...

Thumbnail by KatG

Does anybody need a little gardening Companion?

Thumbnail by KatG

Here's a pic of my backyard...It's only a year and a half old and there are so many things I want to do with it. It all just takes time and the kindness and expertise of Mother Nature!

Thumbnail by KatG

I pulled all that woody and crappy calabrachoa out of the big pots and things look so much neater...

Thumbnail by KatG

We're in such a drought right now and it's been so dry. We had a couple of good downfalls of rain last week and it's amazing what it does. You can run sprinklers all day long...but it's just not the same as a good old rainfall! Gotta say though...the Bougainvillea is just loving the dryness...

Thumbnail by KatG
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I am sure the pool planter area would benefit from some Caladiums! LOL

Well "DUH" bluekat - Why didn't I think of that? haha

OH OH!!!!

Major meltdown of a fountain/turned planter in my garden this afternoon!

These impatiens have been doing pretty good in the hot afternoon sun but were looking a little wilted today. I'm just standing there minding my own business, smiling at my flowers and giving them major water while I watch it pouring through the drain holes we drilled. Then I hear this cracking noise!

It was like slo-mo when I'm standing there helpless with the hose in my hand watching this thing tumble over!

It's always something!

Hope everybody is having a great relaxing Memorial day!

Kat

Thumbnail by KatG

I'm waiting for my dear man to get back so we can pick it up! Of course, it weighs a ton right now. (I water good!) Looking at how it cracked at the base, I'm thinking it's salvageable!

Thumbnail by KatG
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

What is it made of Kat? If it's metal, it can be welded back together.

Janet - It's made of some obviously cheap metal - but, luckilly we were able to get the cracked base off and just anchored it into the ground! All is well and it looks more like a planter now!

For a minute there, I thought I was going to have a huge spiller pot! hehe

Thumbnail by KatG
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Good save Kat! Yeah for the menfolk that helped you heave it off the cracked base.

Something totally different for me but I just didn't have a clue what to do with these new Thai Caladiums called "Leung Pa Li Chartruese". I'm just all over the place when it comes to pots - Maybe I'll have to start a Hawaii section!

Thumbnail by KatG

He's a keeper Janet! :)

This message was edited May 26, 2008 9:43 PM

I rescued these gorgeous "Florida Beauty" Caladiums that I planted last year that aren't doing that great (too much sun), Planted them with some sickly Angelonia, something called "Lysimachia" with a little Josephs coat mixed in.. I think they'll be much better in a pot with some sun relief...

Thumbnail by KatG

I'm looking forward to seeing this pot mature. I planted a few Galaxy caladium bulbs as well as Red Sunpatience and some more of that Lysimachia...

Thumbnail by KatG

Never underestimate a 4 1/2lb female Yorkie wearing a pink scarf! hahaha

This morning when I was out in the yard she was on a hunting mission. Little Devil pulled a 4ft Black snake out from the plants in the Lizard Lounge (they should know better - otherwise it would be called the Snake lounge! LOL). She pulverized it! My Boy dog ran and basically scratched my leg to death trying to get me to pick him up as he was scared!

I was outside working all day and I think she sat in the same place for 3 hours on lookout! hehehe

Thumbnail by KatG
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Good Dog!!! It gives me the heebee jeebees thinking of you out there all the time and there being a 4 ft. snake in your midst. I bet that snake weighed as much as your dog (or more!)

Janet

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Kat, can I ask what you do for a living? Just curious.

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

Kat,
You can definately tell that you spend "all day" in your yard. I am just amazed at the beauty. I don't even make enough money to buy the pots, let alone the time to fill them. You are an inspiration.
Marie

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

Kat,

I'm glad you were able to salvage the planter!!! I like the chartruse(sp) caladium!! What is trailing out the front?

Tell Zara I said she's a good girl!! Gotta protect her mama - I can see Ziggy running to you for refuge - the females (both dogs and cats) do seem to be the more fearless and protective ones. I'm glad she's that alert to detect a snake - I hate to think of you relaxing out there with one.

I found some tropicanna canna today - also got some proven winner supertunia velvet purple and some diamond frost euphorbia for a hanging basket - found some persian shield!! Couldn't resist two mandevilla - also got an african violet - very purple - for $2 ---- Now I need some pots --- Oh and there is a big bird of Paradise I'm eyeing - do you think it would do ok in a room that is 18' high with big almost floor to ceiling windows?

Kitty

jlp222 - I have a Construction company and we build residential single family homes. There's not a lot of constructing going on down here right now, but luckily I also have a Property management division where I rent out my clients homes to short-term vacationers from the North and Europe. Many of my owners are from the Northeast and Canada and have not yet retired yet or have built for investment only. That at least has kept me busy this past winter and early spring.

Kat

Oh Marie: I wish I could spend all day out there! I really need to go to work though to pay for my out-of-control Pot addiction! hehe

Kitty..Go for it! Yeah, I don't see why the BOP wouldn't do well in a room with such light! You just may not get a lot of blooms, but I really like them for their foliage and growth habit! They keep neat!

Trailing out the front of that pot is some baby tears (I think). Don't know how well it will do as I stole it out of another pot, but it's pretty.

Sounds like you bought some great plants. Tropicanna is my fave! I love that diamond frost also, and it survives - it must be a perenial as I've had mine for over a year and is about 4ft tall right now - a little straggly, but dresses up an elephants ear. I seen it in a pot the other day - cut very short and it looked good.

Talking about Mandevilla - I bought a crimson red one the other day also, to trail on that wrought iron screen I have in the Lizard Lounge. I transplanted into a bigger pot on Saturday and already it's starting to cling.

Happy planting Kitty!

Kat

Thumbnail by KatG

I couldn't help noticing how beautiful Miss Bacopa head is today! She must have had her hair done...however, they missed a few brown roots! hehe

(Oh my! I just noticed - Long haired hippy girl looks like she's crying!)

This message was edited May 27, 2008 6:24 PM

Thumbnail by KatG

My goodness...Has anybody ever grown this Baby Sun Rose? I swear it's grown 6" since the last photo...how long can it get???

Thumbnail by KatG

Here's the other pot I planted - the Copper leaf has gone nuts! Take a look though at the crazy mixed tiered planter in the corner. I think this might be next weekends renovation project!

Thumbnail by KatG
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Kat, you made me chuckle with your "out-of-control Pot addiction! hehe". See it out of context and you see why, LOL.

That tall urn is stunning! Is the baby sun rose the variegated plant?

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Had to check in this morning to get my daily dose of inspiration, Kat.

I've never seen anything white like that on the devil's backbone. Right now mine is blooming for the first time. I've seen a picture of red blooms, but mine are pink. They're pointy little flowers that give the plant another common name, the cardinal plant, because they look like tiny birds.

Lithia, FL(Zone 9a)

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=58556

Have you all seen these pot heads?
~~Very unique~~

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

The stuff you can find on Etsy! I think nasturtiums would look good in a pot head.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love all your container shots

and your yorkies are adorable... I have two also... but I don't keep there hair so beautiful... I usually cut them pretty short

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

(probably more than a few chuckles over the "pot" addiction!)

Kat, PLEASE don't tell me the black snake got into your lanai...I was hoping I'd have one safe place once ours was screened. I'll bravely take on rodents, bugs, spiders, cancer...but like Indiana Jones, I HATE snakes!

Guess I'll find out if my bengal cats are good hunters...

Biv: Can you post a photo of it?...Mine has not bloomed at all. I've got some of the pink variety, but maybe because I just pruned it all back it's not blooming. Are they kind of inconspicuous?

Thanks Onewish...I've been looking at your containers and they look fantastic! This is probably a really stupid question, but is bloom-master a potting system of some kind? It looks great and I love the fact you can poke plants in and they grow from the sides???

My Yorkies are total garden companions, but basically when it comes down to it...they're constant companions as they are probably never outside of 5ft from me anywhere! I'm actually thinking of getting these guys a shortie haircut...They're sweet dogs though and having 2 is fun!

Thumbnail by KatG

Oh Denise...And it's a SERIOUS Pot Addiction! Well, I guess I should rephrase that and say - I'm addicted to PotS!. hehe

Arrrrrggghhh (I don't like lying)...Okay, the snake was outside the screen and my little snake hunter dragged it in!

Yep! That's the ticket!

FHMom...those are totally adorable little heads! Ahhhh, Don't get me started planting those and filling my outdoor bakers rack with them. Wouldn't that be cute though?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.