(14 votes, 3%)
Red dot

You display framed pictures of your vegetables
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

You go into a mourning period after the first frost
(78 votes, 17%)
Red dot

When you get home the first place you go is the garden; seeing your family can wait
(144 votes, 32%)
Red dot

You base all your travel and vacation plans on your garden's needs
(49 votes, 10%)
Red dot

You often disappear into your garden in the morning, and don't reappear until sunset
(121 votes, 26%)
Red dot

Other?
(37 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

WOOOHOOO I am the 1st one..been trying to be the 1st one since i joined daves yrs. ago....

Char

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I voted for seeing the family can wait.... I get home drop my stuff on the table and right out to the garden for my daily stroll

onewish - so do I LOL

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I voted other because all but the first two apply ;o)

LOL!!

I laughed when I read the choices, then felt a little guilty to realize I DO check out the plants and flowers before ever checking in with the family..ALWAYS!

I felt a little better when I saw that my "group" is in the lead at this point!!

HaHa, this is fun.

Happy Gardening to us all.
Sasha

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Glad to see I'm not in the minority. I check the garden first as well. As a matter of fact if I go into the house first my DH asks me if I'm not going to go on a "garden tour" :-)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I am going to say I'm not over the edge, but family seems to disagree. I voted for the going in the garden as the closest applicable one.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Go to the garden first!! I can't help it!

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I have'nt as yet named any of my family after the flowers but, I have bought plants and flowers named after members of my family. Including the cat....Ottis Magic.

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

You know your an addict when...

I'm guilty of #s 4, 5, 6 and 7! It's good to know I have lots of company. -^,,^-

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I cannot afford either the time or money (but mostly the time as a young Mom) to be "over the edge" in gardening. I'm to busy fertilizing the minds of youth and awaiting their blooms. :) But I DO go over the edge in daydreaming all the gorgeous ways I'd like my property to look. And slowly but surely I make a dent here and there in the surface of it all.

Knowing my 18 month old tells me when she sees a weed and we need to pull them or she points out plants BY NAME in our yard or the neighborhood (she just learned to recognize and say "Calidium") then I'm going in the right direction.

This message was edited May 12, 2008 6:58 AM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

18 months is good weed pulling height.... doesn't have to bend over much... love that

:)

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

I DO go into mourning at the first frost...but I also spend entire days in the garden as well, lol

Braham, MN(Zone 3b)

My children come to the garden to find me. LOL - They know I have to take my daily tour. Let's face it - the flowers are our "babies" too!
In all seriousness though, some of the best talks we've ever had have come about while my children and I pulled weeds or took in the wonder of a new flower just opening. The gardens have a way of putting all of at ease and open the door for some very important conversations.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Yup, I head straight for the garden. I don't feel as bad about that now knowing there are others out there just like me.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm in one of the minority groups. Here's my Iris.

Thumbnail by meezersfive
Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I was so excited about being first that i forgot about everything else....I am guilty of all of them to...although mine are not flowers outside and when i get home from work cause i am a stay at home mom..when i first get up i check my houseplants and open the blinds and turn on my plant lights, then go get the family up.

Char

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Uh-oh...what happens if there are many that apply?

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

sashagirl, i too felt guilty. should have known my gardening friends wouldn't let me down.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

There should have been an *all of the above*, but I checked the one about organising my travel around my garden. I want to go on vacation in August but my tomatoes will be ready. How can I leave them? They need me!!!

Barstow, CA(Zone 9a)

I display pictures of my vegetables and flowers only on Dave's Garden web site and a bazillion other web sites around cyberspace, but none of them are framed ;). Frost is a funny kind of thing out here in the Mojave Desert which sometimes doesn't happen at all, but I did go into a brief period of mourning when my pretty little plants got frost bitten in previous locations.

Been doing "less" travel since starting my brand new gardening efforts in a brand new utterly barren location but that will change once I get the PVC pipe and remaining drip and/or soaker systems installed with automated timers to take care of the watering needs while I'm gone.

No children nor pets (other than the wild birds that I grow with wild bird seed) so that doesn't apply and I don't name any of the wild birds. "Not Ugly" on the "garden vs family" question cuz there is no family and where I head first thing is my office to check emails and other business concerns. The one aspect I really don't do is disappear into the garden in the morning and fail to reappear until sunset; I'm very much a mixed mode person: time slice for the orifice, time slice for the garden, time slice to stay fed, time slice for other personal needs, time slice for sleep, all mixed together during any given day in whatever random order appeals to me. So I'm definitely an "Other" varietal and voter.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

We often take our little dog out in the mornings, take the garbage bucket to the compost pile and walk around the house discussing what needs to be done and admiring the beauty. Then, we grab a cup of coffee and head to the deck to visit and watch the birds. So, mornings is when we stroll around our gardens. That's our special time together.

(Zone 7a)

I go in the house, drop my stuff, kiss the hubby and go directly back out the door. Rain or shine, light or dark. Ten minutes in the gardens...therapy. Ahhhhhh....NOW I can relax.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I plan my vacations around my garden needs. We don't take a summer vacation because there would be no one to water the garden. It gets very hot here and watering needs to be done every couple days.

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey mama if your guilty then so am I ....even when I am home between my bus routes I go to the garden to check things out and then check again when I get home as ya never know what might have happened in 3 hours time ...hahaha

Santa Fe, NM

Kelli, same as you with the watering. I try to have plants that are fairly xeric but I still have roses and clematis. They like at least twice a week deep water when it's hot. I have one friend who can water for me but usually D.H. and I go on separate vacations in the summer or very short ones.

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

The really needed an "all of the above" but my dog's name is Rose.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I can't avoid my family on my way to the garden - I have to go through the house, but I think I might install those broad spectrum lights inside because winter is so depressing! I mean black is very flattering, but for months on end? LOL!

Carrie

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

To leave no doubt what so ever I attempted to click on all but one of them.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

D'oh! I'm with the majority. I check my plants before I check in with my family. Sometimes my garden is the first living thing I see when I get up in the morning, too, because I work late and my family is usually off to work/school before I get up. I've been known to go out and say goodnight to the plants, too.

I need help...

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I have framed photographs of my veggies on my kitchen walls...but most of the others apply to me also.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I had to choose other because the last four apply , I walk through my garden so often my neighbors think I am a little nutty ! but it changes by the hour!
laura

Thumbnail by laurawege
Maple Heights, OH

A few of those apply, we did name a pupply Lily, but the first thing I do in the morning when the new Daylily seedlings are blooming is grab a cup of coffee and the camera. I looked out the bedroom window one morning and got so excited my wife had to call me in to put on a pair of shorts, I was out there in my boxers, thank goodness for the privacy fence!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

this is Lily & Jily... but they were named after mom and dad which are Tily & Wily

:)

so I can't count my Lily

Thumbnail by onewish1
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I can answer yes to 3,4,5,& 6, so I checked "other".
..and I see I'm not alone. LOL
Deb

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

omg I forgot about my cat lily! I guess that means that 5 out of 6 apply
laura
lily is the tiger

Thumbnail by laurawege
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My 2 hounds are Daisy and Rose.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

All of the above, so I had to vote fro "other"!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Well, my baby girl's name is Lillian "Lilly" Camille, but I do take pictures of my flowers and show them off. I voted for #2.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.