Morning Glories 2008 #05

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is another view of Kohkan growing up the arbor.

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Becky - love your white picket fence and arbour - very lovely! Perfect background for your morning glories!

Joanne

Thanks, Joanne! It took my dh and I months to complete that area. I designed the arbor and he built it (with my help of course!). It turned out so much nicer than we were expecting. It's great when a plan comes together!

Here is one more photo showing 5 of the vines growing to the right of the arbor along the fence.

This is the last photo. The sprawling vine is Antoinette's cross (Shibori Purple X Gray Lady). I expect that vine to take over the entire fence panel it is climbing on. The vine at the far left on down the fence is another cross of A's (Rabenda X President Bush).

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Becky, your garden is great! You and dh did a great job. Remind me again what you planted your MGs in.

Judith - The MGs were planted in the ground. I used Sprinkler donuts stacked 3 high to surround them at the base. I started with one donut and added additional donuts until the vine was tall enough to pop out and over the 3 concrete donuts. It was mainly to keep the rodents from chewing up my vines. I am hoping it also works to keep slugs away. We shall see! An added bonus seems to be that it helps keep the roots shaded as well. And it helps me to see where the vines are coming up out of the ground. Just my weird idea to prevent the vines demise from chewing rats!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I thought it was a great idea, and it seems to be working out just fine. Learning by doing. Isn't that what we all do??

I just planted my MGs yesterday. I started the in the house and transplanted them before the leaves showed up. I started soaking a lot more seeds today, and they're getting ready to sprout tomorrow. The weather has been pretty cold this spring till now. Can't wait to see them bloom! The seeds you gave me are looking good...thanks again.^_^

Pretoria, South Africa

Becky,

I just love your NOID. I've been keeping an eye on it since you first started posting pictures, and still can't get enough of that specific vine. A real keeper!

Elsa

Houma, LA

Blooming this morning. Morning Storm

Thumbnail by dobra1629
Houma, LA

Purple Blizzard

Thumbnail by dobra1629
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I'm so jealous you guys heave all the flowers, mine are still waiting to go out permanently. Our weather has been rainy and cool the entire month of May...hopefully June will bring on the warmth and blue skies!!

Becky your crosses are beautiful!!!
Dob I really like this one!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5045564

Ronnie, I took a chance and put my seedlings out this past week. So far I have gotten lucky. Only have 2 containers where I had evidence of damping off or lack of emergence.

Joseph

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Becky, Your arbor is beautiful. What a perfect place for morning glories. :)

Karen

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Becky - those vines on my porch are super growers . . . I'd swear they grew another 2' since that picture, and it is starting to branch out! DH thinks I should start more seeds, and have them grow up the soon to be new addition on my trellis.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

A, can hardly wait to see some of your lovely blooms.
Becky, your arbor and picket fence are really nice.
Dobra, very pretty blooms.

dobra - Interesting Morning Storm bloom ya got! Here is what mine looked like from last year:
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/beckygardener/7252/ Your Purple Blizzard bloom is pretty, too! :-) Great job growing those!

Judith - I can't wait to see your blooms this year! :-)

Elsa - Thanks! I love that NOID, too! I'm getting seed pods, so hopefully it will produce lots of seeds to share. The seeds will be crosses though. But I am sure they will be just as interesting and lovely as the NOID. I need to think of a good name for that vine! LOL!

Thanks Ronnie, Karen, and Jackie! :-)

Nichole - It seems like once the MGs start vining, they literally TAKE OFF in growth! And the blooms seem to come outta nowhere! LOL! Bring em on!!!

This is a flush of blooms on the Kohkan today. Boy! Do I ever love this vine!

This is a bouquet of blooms on Rabenda X P. Bush. Such a pretty vine!

This is a photo of some of the vines growing on the left side of the arbor. They are filling in the fence and arbor area nicely. I hope the heat here doesn't shorten their life cycle.

Here is the right side of the arbor and all the vines growing along the fence. I love going out there first thing in the morning to see what's in bloom! Such a nice way to welcome a new day!

Another bloom today on Shibori Purple X Gary Lady. I definitely see a blizzard pattern on this bloom.

Yesterday and today's blooms on the reddish Picotee.

First bloom on another grow-out of Jishi. I wish I could get seeds from this one. I tried and tried to hand-pollinate the last vine of Jishi I grew, but I didn't get a single seed pod from it. If anyone has any suggestions or instructions on how to successfully get seeds, please let me know. I am all ears/eyes! LOL!

Becky those are beautiful.

Houma, LA

I love that Jishi.

Dorothy

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Very pretty, Becky.

I had a few suprises this morning . . .

This message was edited Jun 4, 2008 8:40 AM

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Another in the same pot . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I had put the rest of my picotee seeds in this pot with marigolds and lime basil.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I went to go help the vines trail up the plastic fencing, and found this hiding under a leaf!

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Houma, LA

I wish I had thought about planting more than one to a pot. I would have more varieties blooming by now. I wonder if it is too late to plant a few seeds. It is already summer here. I don't care what the calender says.

Dorothy

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Dorothy - I don't think it's EVER too late to start more seeds . . . just take a look at a few of my windowsills, and under the light!

Lovely blooms Nichole. Dorothy, I'm still planting seeds so go for it.
Time for a new thread.

To the new thread #06

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/858560

This message was edited Jun 4, 2008 2:41 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.