Storm/tornado in Douglas?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Donna, just saw news very late last nite and was shocked to see that Douglas was hit by the storm. Are you ok.?

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh Yes, Coby
I'm ok in fact I slept right through it. The worst of the strom was around Sharon neck of the woods and above. We got lots of wind and very little rain. Deborah said she recieved 3" of rain. I was going to spend Mothers Day with Deborah but due to the weather had to cancel.
Hope you had a wonderful Mothers Day!

Thanks for asking,
^_^ Donna

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm not OK up here in Cleveland. There's a tree on the roof, through the masonry chimney and part of the deck. The way it's laying on the roof there will probably be more damage with the removal. I have been on the phone all morning with the ins. co. and just had the tree service out. The tree service guy says there is a lot of damage in the area. Since the house vaults over a hill and the roof is metal (slippery), it's going to be "slow, tight and expensive". Luckily there was no rain, so no water damage. They'll start early this evening. DH went back to Atlanta last night, so I was home alone for the big event.

Laurel

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Laurel, that is so sad to hear. Hope they are able to get it done quick and your insurance comes through quickly also. Glad you weren't hurt.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh my stars, Laurel, I hate to hear of such damage. So thankful you're ok. I know that must have scared you out of your wits.

Thanks so much. They're already back and cutting. The crashing is very unnerving as I know it's doing so much more damage. They threw all the hoses in my seedling beds and drove over a bunch of perennials. I'm overall going to be very thankful here, but 'scuse me if I gripe a little. It's not heating season, so the chimney isn't critical and it's not raining, so the interior is not damaged. Hopefully the roof can get tarped quickly. I think we are expecting rain on Wednesday.
L

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Any plants you lose let me know and if I have that I will send you a replacement.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel, So glad you weren't hurt. Let me know if there's anything I can do. Do you need tarps? A sedative? Someone to yell at the idiots messing up your plants? We were so lucky here. Just a few limbs and lots of leaves down. Ditto what Jim said about replacements. Becky

I need for these guys to stop huckin' and spittin' all over the place :). It's driving me nutz! Then I need a martini (or two). Wonder what time they go home?

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

Laurel, let me know if you can use any plants from South Ga and I will see what I have and can send to you. So sorry for the event. We did not get anything here but a few drops of rain. A friend came from Macon and said it was pretty bad along I 75 as she was passing through. Some motels with tops off. I hope no one was hurt. Elaine

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

We had what looked like a tornado in our backyard yesterday morning. It was the weirdest think I ever saw. The winds picked up and started to blow stuff all around. Then this mushroom cloud appeared and it got all dark and stuff at the bottom and this little swirly tail start heading for the ground.

The entire thing then headed towards Athens. Mrs Bronx was freaking out. I took some pics and will post when I get home

Laurel:

So sorry about your ordeal. Please let us know if you need anything

BB

You folks are the best. Thank you so much for reaching out. The house did not sustain too much damage. Some metal roof and the chimney. It will probably be hard to find a stone mason that climbs three stories though. The damage on the deck is very minor. A little railing and a corner post; some touch up paint.

The real damage is in the yard. They ran the crane truck all over the place and then brought in something like a Bobcat with tank wheels. Those treads tore up the yard and flowers around the house. They really tried to be careful, but the space is tight as we are squeezed on to multi-level banks. The veggie garden is fine. Thank goodness. I might not have the prettiest flowers this year, but we won't starve (lol)!

I really haven't assessed the final damage. It was a wearing day and I didn't want to look anymore. Need to get back to Atlanta. DD is coming home from school on Weds. and we have a wedding on Sat. The whole thing gets put on hold for a week.

Laurel

Just now catching up. So glad no one was hurt. Echoing what everyone else has said, though. If you need anything from south GA ... just let me know.

BB - ooooh, how scary for you and Gwendolyn. Give her a hug for me. Glad there was no damage at your place. Need to get you some tomato pics. Boy, have they ever grown!

Glad everyone is okay.
~Susan

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel, I am so sorry to hear about your storm damage., glad you are ok.
I know what you mean with the trampling over yr plants, they just do THEIR thing and the rest is not important. But to plant people..... that's what it's ALL about!
Hang in there, you're in my thoughts. We just had a ton of leaves every where but that's it.
Good luck, Tuliplady

Oh, MaypopLaurel - bless your heart! After you volunteering SEVERAL times to come and help me out after the Atlanta Toronado, here you are with your own damage. I'm so sorry.

I understand the frustration of the yard. I lost a lot, and some things were "Special" in a weird way that I lost (but so many others were saved, like so many things that came from the trade last year!!) - the machine drivers were ruthless. They saw their job only as removal, and did not really even realize that there had been a garden underfoot!!

You'll find a mason to help you out. I'm quite sure. So many in the building industry are not getting steady work right now. I'm sure there will be someone who is willing to do anything for work, and do it well.

I hope you do not have to tangle with the insurance OR the mortgage company.

GGG

Thank you Elaine, Bronx, Susan, Coby and Glynis. Everyone from DG has been so wonderful. Kindness beyond my expectations. Everything will be fine. The chimney didn't look too bad to me, but they say it has to come down. Four tons of stone, a month to tear out and rebuild. It's an old timey one...no plywood, no inserts, not even cinder block...just stone fielded from the property. It heated the whole house and we used to cook over it during our frequent outages. Oh well, life moves on.

Here are some pics.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

The house is squeezed into a hillside. Here they are trying not to run over the beds. They did their best :). I'm only a little upset.

One more. I think there is a view of my bedroom windows on the right.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

So sorry to hear about all your troubles up there......You're a better woman than I am a man, I'd be pulling my hair out about now.....I hope everything gets settled down for you soon.....If there is something I got and you would find that you need or want it just let me know....again hope you get back to norm soon

Paul from Alabama

Paul, if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me from this day forward, well OK. I learned many years ago what's important and what's not. Just want to be a good steward to what I've been privileged to tender. What I add to the mix is only temporary at best :).

I come from a background/culture that finds humor in bad times so I may tell a tale with drama, but I'm no drama queen for sure (lol)! So, to add to the mix, I gave this young pip a "what to for" for pullin' a plug.
Laurel

P.S. Glad to meet you.

Bronx,

Did my eyes pop out? I looked like the runaway bride! You would've though I had a goiter!!! Our insurance company has been pretty stand up, but we had the tornado/trees ten years ago, the tree through two stories of the Atlanta house three years ago this summer and now this. I'm beginning to feel like Dorothy without the ruby slippers. Trees just keep falling on my houses!

Laurel

Okay, now I can talk...Chapter #2

When I stayed at Maypop on Mother's Day and DH came back to Atlanta it was because he has been the foreman of the jury in the Arthur Tesler trial. I could not say anything, and of course, I did not know what was going on in the courtroom, only what was in the papers and watching TV when he was not home. So, when you hear the verdicts on the three charges read on TV, that's DH.

It has been so stressful. Two and a half weeks and he has not been able to talk about it to me or anyone. Not even make phone calls home these last few days when they were weighing the counts. I'm so glad to have him back :)!

There is a Chapter #3, but that will have to wait a day or so. In the meantime, he barely knows what's going on at Maypop. Guess I'll wait 'til he's finished with his martini (or two) to start telling him.

Thanks all the good wishes.

Laurel

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I heard last night they asked for a copy of his testimony. Really a bad case of police work. Wonder how many things they pull that we don't know about.
Just about over with now. I know you will be glad

It's done. Guilty on one count...lying under oath and not on the other two. That's why I'm mentioning it. I didn't want to go on line with anything even though I don't know any more than you. He is very ethical and we honestly never discussed it. That's why it's been stressful You don't realize how much you count on your partner to de-stress your life until you can't talk.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Don't know a thing about the case but I know you're glad to get your hubby back.....I used to keep up with local news in Atlanta all the time but not much anymore these days.....

Paul from Alabama

Thanks Paul. You won't believe this, but DD has been flown to MA to testify as a witness in a separate case. As soon as I feel the case will not be jeopardized, I'll post. Maybe tomorrow? My world is upside down right now.

Laurel

Wow Laurel.

You life has been stormy in so many ways!

You and the hubby need to hole up somewhere this weekend and relax and exhale!

BB

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Just an aside but every time I see Bronx Boy and Lawrenceville, GA together I get the georaphical heebie jeebies......:)

My father was from Brooklyn orginally.....He confused a lot of folks the 50 odd years he called Ala/Ga his home.....:)

Paul from Alabama

LOL

A lot of people get on me about that.

You had to mention Brooklyn. I am SO jonesing for a hot pastrami on rye and a piece of cheesecake. :-)

BB

Dahlonega, GA

a greasy,grilled ruben would hit the spot .sally

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Lord, cheesecake? pastrami?.....Talking to you is like talking my dad......:)

I'm going up north one of these days to get me one of them Coney Island dogs my dad used to talk about....I been up north before though, I was in Raleigh, North Carolina onetime........:)

Paul from Alabama

Goodness Maypop!
This is just beyond stressful. I'm so sorry to hear of what is going on up at your end. I'm just thankful there wasn't even more damage to your home, but that chimney is sad. Although you can build a new one, it's not the same, is it now? Bless you!
DH really needs to say "HELLO! I had a tree fall on my house. Rain is coming in. I need to go fix it or you'll have to give me a LOT of money to replace everything!!".

Yesh! A hole in the abode is no small thing.

GGG

Chapter #3...

The creep that (ahem) was charged with lewd and lascivious public behavior, plus a few other things that required DD to be the guest of the MA courts is a convicted murderer (ten years in prison), convicted of concealing a dead body, and convicted rapist. Thank goodness she had her wits about her. There's other stuff on his rap sheet. He is now 43 and has been chalking up a crime portfolio his entire life. Can you believe people like this do some time and then are allowed out to wander the streets? These crimes were committed in multiple states.

The verdict was guilty on all counts...six years. Hopefully no parole, but I don't know. His lawyer will appeal. DD is in Charlotte right now, very tired physically and emotionally, and will be home late tonight (1am). We will garden at Maypop and repair souls this holiday weekend. Again thanks for all the support. I'll be here to help when you need me.

Laurel

Wow Laurel:

You guys do need to rest!

Take some much needed R&R this weekend

BB

Dahlonega, GA

paul f a , when i was a youngster in wichita falls tx , going up north meant crossing the red river,13 miles away ,to go into oklahoma.( usually playing hooky to go swimming in the wichita mountains) lol .seriously,we had a lot of bad weather ,and tornados out there, even lost my home in the 70's. after moving to ga.15 years ago,i was amazed to find out that tornados here are so common,and so many trees here ,seems more people and property are hurt and damaged. i've been looking at my place a lot closer the last few years to try to decide where a good place to put a shelter would be.there are so many trees and hills here,you cant see them comming. the one that came through dawson ,lumpkin , and white county and finally fizzed out at yonah mt ,was 2 1/2 miles from us. we were working outside, and didn't know it happened until three hours later when we went to the store and asked about all the sirens.there were fatalities in that one.we all love our trees,and mountains,that is part of the charm of n. georgia,but they are a deadly threat in a stiff wind .and laurel, i have a lot of unusual plants that are large enough for cuttings . you r close enough to come take your choice and i'll root you whatever.i'm about 8 miles from cleveland square.dmail me if intrested

Thanks for the offer Digger. Will be in touch. I'm 7 miles past the square off Duncan Bridge/384.

What really blew me away (almost literally) was we got hit with that tornado and then double whammied with the hurricane. I'm from Miami Beach. Who ever heard of hurricanes in the N. GA mtns? We are still cutting trees from those events. About fifteen of our seventeen acres is wooded.

Laurel

Dahlonega, GA

your welcome, i do have some pretties,young,but not too common in this area.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Laurel.. just found this thread. I am so sorry for all the tormoil and upheaval you've been through. So glad noone was hurt. That is the most important thing. I also am beginning to think we live in tornado alley (until I see all those poor folks in midwest) We were hit last March 1st and lost lots of our huge old trees and then again with this one in Macon. No damage to us or house so that's a blessing. Again, I am so sorry especially for all your plants. I know that was very upsetting on top of everything else.
Hugs,
Elaine

Hi Elaine. Things have been incredibly hectic, but oddly our lives seem to go that way and we are used to it. Do you think some folks are just destined to move from crisis to crisis? Honest, we feel so lucky to have our family and health...everything else has to be kept in perspective. Thanks for thinking of us.

The house is sitting with tarps and downed, cut up trees. A second tree had to be cut because it was damaged). We are awaiting the final estimates and word from the insurance company as to whether we will act as contractor or they will provide a contractor. I don't care as long as it gets done and is replaced with the same quality workmanship and materials.

In the meantime, the veggie garden is coming in and I am nothing but happy when that is going on. DH came in the from the garden the other day and thanked me for teaching him how to grow our food. He had just picked a wonderful salad bowl of lettuces, arugula, turnips, snow peas two mustards, and all kinds of fresh herbs. I'll just have to spend more time in the garden with my back to the house and things will be fine!

Laurel

Laurel:

That looks great!

BB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.