Storm/tornado in Douglas?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We do good BB. Christmas beans are coming up on those sticks in the background and I forgot to mention the baby white icicle and red globe radishes served in the French way; with drawn butter and a chilled glass of light white. Who can worry about fallen chimneys and such when hope does truly "Spring" eternal. Keep on pickin'.

laurel

BTW... the greens garden currently consists of several types of early heading lettuces (red and green Romaines, butterheads, etc), endive, Vates collards, 'India' and 'Southern giant' mustard, 'Detroit Dark Red' beets (which are being grown in the lettuces and blowing up as the lettuce is pulled), 'Dwarf Scotch Curly Crested' kale and more, I'm sure. Oh, yes, several rounds of arugula as well. Italian flat leaf parsley too. Tons, but almost gone to seed. The cilantro is so fragrant and in flower that if you walk by it and brush against it...well you're perfumed for hours. It's so beautiful with the pale green flowers from the parsley against the masses of white flowers from the cilantro. OK, I wax effusive. Way more than we can eat and so many friends think greens are gross. What's with that? I never ate greens until I came to Georgia and I live for Spring greens. Some folks either don't know what they are missing or don't know how to cook!

Laurel

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

YUM!!!!!!!!!!
Elaine

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

When's Dinner?????

BB

I thought you were going to host a fish fry and invite us all over!

On a more serious note about the veggies...I learn so many new things every year about gardening. This year I grew the India mustard on the outside block of the greens garden. No bugs. The 'Southern Giant' mustard was smack dab in the middle of blocks of beets, lettuce, collards, kale and so on. It got these little brown beetles. Not bad, and I didn't spray at all, but they did get some holes while everything else is clean. Is it the variety that attracted the beetles? Also, we put up deer fence, cut in half, down the main walk to keep the dogs out. After watching the cabbage moths bumping into the horizontal netting I decided to drape it across the top of the cabbages as a row cover. Working like a charm. Tattered, frustrated moths are caught up in the stuff. Hope it keeps out loopers too. We'll see.

Laurel

Sooo, how cool is this? I got to meet "Digger" today at Maypop and share some plants. We spent several hours trading stories in the swing/arbor and had a DG bonding experience. It was great! She brought me some really beautiful things as she is the propagation "Queen"! Wish I would have had more to give her. It would have been perfect if I did not end up being her assistant car mechanic at the end of the visit. Digger...you owe me some baking soda and a new toothbrush!!! LOL

I also met "Hineni's" DH this past week when he came to our Atlanta house and relieved me of some veggie babies. Hopefully this helps restore the garden they lost in the storm. It's so lovely to see things go 'round. Thanks all.

Laurel

Dahlonega, GA

laural,dh says it was a wire on the back post that needed wiggling. all i know is, baking soda cleaned the posts, hammer banging made a better contact and between us,the darn thing started . i want all to know, this maypop place is a hermits dream. it's waaaaay back up in the woods and laural and her dh have all the talent in the world.some of the most professional remodling work i've ever seen,and the rustic fences and entrance arbor is to die for.done told dh we need to start collecting sapplings, hundreds of them.looked all over for her post for pictures . no luck yet .she has greens that this southern girl ( old woman)hasn't even heard of . i don't remember which one it is , she'll have to tell me again, but one even smells like fresh fried off bacon grease.yum ,flavor, no calories. i sure got me some of that.oh, and if anyone hasn't figgered it out yet , that laurel is a tomboy. hehehe! ( laurel, don't you give any of MY secrets away) lol sally

Dahlonega, GA

laural, laurel . i'm gonna learn to spell it . sally

Here you go Sally. It was hiding in a cottage gardening thread. See our little Georgia belle peaches in the lower left? The right hand side will eventually have a stick fence too. DH made more big sapling arches in the veggie garden for those Christmas beans to run last evening. He's so funny...running around singing, "I'm back in the salad again." LOL
Laurel

P.S. A girl's gotta have her secrets ^..~.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Dahlonega, GA

thank you ,thank you ,dh will see it now and we will start collecting .the mock orange hydrated fine,looks like it might root where it is,in bucket. will tip it off and try the cuttings in soik and see if i get roots in the bucket. got the silver stuff cut into and planted. hope to get 4 plants out of it. now, what do you call thet bacon stuff,and what is that other bit of soil with plants.did you say it was the same as what i dug up in front of porch ,in rocks .whewwwww, i told you i wouldn't remember. why didn't i take notes?

The mock orange was on the hill where I went chigger diving.
The silver stuff is Artemesia 'Powis Castle', a wormwood. It is in Plant Files.
The bacon stuff (actually I think it's more of a nutty flavor) is arugula, also called salad rocket, or roquette. Chop in salad or cook with mixed greens or use in soups and stews.
The vine with heart shaped leaves are Dutchman's Pipes (Aristolochia). They are in plant files too.

Happy growing.
L

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.