What have you bought so far ?? Part 6

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

looks invasive but don't know yet

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love this is water in the summer... and in tea

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

they took the leaves from this... made tea... chilled it and mixed it with i think it was five alive juice.... it was fantastic!!!

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

another

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the one owner told me the hummingbirds go crazy on this one... it was a hot day to be out from 9:30 this morning till 2:30 this afternoon... but what a great trip... nice lectures on herbs in the kitchen... how to grow em ... dry them... cook with them... we sat in on a perennial lecture... and went on the herb garden tour... real nice people and a great farm

Thumbnail by onewish1
Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

I bought this today at a great garden sale we have up here....Harrison's Yellow Antique Rose. Also known as the Yellow Rose of Texas, even though it was discovered on a farm on the island of Manhattan in the 1830s.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/197308/

It is huge, field grown, and on its own roots

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

well looked all these up and the bad news is the Snow-In-Summer might be invasive... and listed as zones 2 - 7 that scares me... not like the cold is going to keep it in check

maybe one of you had experience with that one.... I will wait and see what you guys think... if i am planting it or not

AND the Crocosmia is listed as invasive... but some comments might lead me to think that only in the warmer zones

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Crocosmia does double by bulblett corms on the original bulb. You are in my zone so I don't believe it will be a problem for quite some years AND sometimes they just stop blooming, put up leaves but no flowers.
I loved my patch and gave away many plants, they look fabulous in a mass above a wall or just in the ground.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Thomaston, CT

Nice herbs, Allison--I don't think snow-in-summer is invasive, but it spreads into a large plant--had it growing on rock wall---couldn't see wall anymore, so I pulled it out--this was after a few years, & it pulled out easily. Daisy, my art class does a rose workshop the 3rd week of June, & someone always brings in Harris' Yellow, so it's pretty hardy. I went looking for another bird's nest spruce---I paid $25 for the first 2 & they were beauties, but that's all they had. The nursery I checked today wanted $42! And they were not as nice--needless to say, bought nothing there!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Some of the crocosmia I planted last fall did not return.

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

I've noticed that nearly any plant that might self-sow is listed as possibly invasive on the plant files. I prefer to read the comments and check the zone of the writer. Another good solution (if it's the kind that spreads with underground runners) is to prep the bed with that black 4" landscape edging and bury it in the ground all the way to stop runners. Not many runners go that deep, and you get to pre-determine the shape of the bed once they fill in. If it spreads by surface runners like myrtle, that's another story! Might work for crocosmia, too - it's been a while since I dug any, so I can't remember how deep they go. Isn't there someone here who plants in bottomless pots (I might even be typing as they are) and since hearing that, I'm getting smarter about things I know will spread. I'm also getting creative, because the idea of controlling something into a desired shape by planting it into that shape where it can spread but not beyond could make for some really lovely low-maintenance garden designs.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Allison, is your fairy garden new? have you posted pics of it yet???

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you everyone for your comments.... it's a great help... I might like it if it covers up the wall... or just part of it... it's a real long wall..... I don't mind something that spreads as long it it's not an out of control thing... and easy to get rid of....if I don't like it... you guys are the best

fairy garden is my next project... I have been buying pieces here and there over the last year or so... most of the stuff i picked up are very bold colors.... but I saw one at that farm today that was all white figures and it was beautiful... they even had a small doll size bed filled with creeping tyme.... it was soooo cute... wish i brought my camera today lots of good stuff

:)

edit - Miss... man did you give me some ideas about making patterns on my hill now.... you got my wheels turning

This message was edited Jun 7, 2008 11:53 PM

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, something that breaks the wall up a bit (visually) would be nice.

Do you have any epimedium for your fairy garden? The flowers look like little fairies.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Debilu, my crocosmia didn't come back either. Shirley, that's a neat idea, about deciding ahead of time how you want the bed to look and planting edging.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ut oh ... another plant i need?.... will have to go check that out thanks Sof!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Crocosmia multiplies by making more bulbs like a Asiatic lily, no runners.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

The Crocosmia I planted a few years ago as bulbs came back fine. I bought some potted and already blooming last fall, and that planting did not return, so maybe it's just from forcing from the nursery and they are out of synch. Or critters got them.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sounds like an answer, I have had potted nursery Crocosm's fail the secons season.
I bought a"Hot Mix" from B&B's bulbs, planted when they came the first week of April. It took them 8 weeks to sprout, thought the bulbs had been planted too early and rotted with the cold wet spring, now we'll see if they flower( not all bulbs are sprouted at this time)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

well it looks like there are quite a few with the crocosmia in the yard... and i don't see any horror stories.... it's going in!

thank you again

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It's worth a try, have you been 100% successful with every plant you ever bought?
If the answer is "no" then this is the same deal, try it ,it might work and then your none the worse off.
I have put in about a hunderd new plants and shrubs since April and am looking forward to a verdant panorama of flowers and green leaves next spring, something tells me I'm going to have a few "let downs" LOL

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I second that thought, Jo Ann. We put in a lot last season, too, and have been tallying the 'let downs'. Some plants were given to us, so it was nice to not have to regret the expense they might have cost us. But, that's what gardening is all about, too. I simply love Anna's attitude about it all: give it good soil and a good location. Plant it and wish it luck!!

This thread is getting long for me, so I have posted over here ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/860305/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.