What have you bought so far ?? Part 6

Thomaston, CT

My son is coming to dig out 4 overgrown shrubs--2 cotoneasters, & 2 euonymous, plus 2 hosta sieboldiana that are squishing out my dwarf rhodos--he's taking the hostas, but we're dumping the others---now I have to figure out what to grow there. It is an eastern exposure, in a raised bed, atop a rock wall. Here are some views. Anyone have suggestions?

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Sounds like crape for me after a cold winter, Candyce. What are you considering, Robin? Small tree, shrubs, perennials?

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Sounds like crape for me

heeheehee.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wha - yes, I've ordered from High Country Gardens before. I forget what your question was though! Everything i bought was gorgeous the first year. The agastache i think I planted in too damp of a place, the diascia (a perennial one) was one of the things that my DH thoughtfully moved into the warm dry garage instead of planting so it died, our fault, but everything else is thriving. (Although I got delosperma mesa verde from them for a hill and then from a guy on eBay for one quarter the price.) The agastache was so gorgeous it was almost worth buying again as an annual!

Thomaston, CT

I, too, have agastache, Carrie--I plant it every year in a sunny, sandy spot, but it never overwinters--but because it is such a hummer magnet, I treat it as an annual. Victor--I need something small---thinking about shrubs or something low-growing--my son, the landscape architect, didn't have any immediate suggestions, but with 3 little ones, his mind is mush at this point. He dug out the shrubs today---here's the site now. nope--can't locate file--I'll try again later.

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

OK----I did find it--there's a variegated hosta, a rhody, a yellow 7 green prostrate euonymous, a peony, heath, and many lilies left in this garden--oh, & some coral bells, & per. geranium.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Speaking of coral bells, I have about three separate spots where coral bells not foliage-heuchera but red/pink/coral flowers NOW coral bells has sprouted here and there in my yard! I wonder if one of my neighbors has a garden hidden in the back I don't know about that the seeds traveled from? Stranger than fiction . . . kinda fun, though. Should I move them now? Later?

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

Robin, I just got some nanking cherry shrubs from an ebay seller. I figure it has almost everything: blooms, berries for me and/or the birds, not too big and nice foliage. Of course for something smallish, you can always have fun with boxwood - trim it every couple of years and otherwise not worry about it. Too sunny for hydrangeas? Nice blooms after the rhodies!

Carrie, maybe for every two heucheras you send to someone else, three show up? I 've never read that in any gardening book, but heuch might just have some special mojo!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL, but I'm sending out Purple Palace and Silver Scrolls, and these are neither of those. What's growing has green leaves and, er, coral flowers, and it's blooming now.

Thomaston, CT

Thanks for the suggestions MissF, but I think I need something lower, & boxwood doesn't do well on my cold, windy hill--I'm still thinking! Carrie---I have a coral bells with coral flowers blooming now, but no reseeding has ever taken place---I wish it would, though. I'd move yours now---can't see a problem with that.

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

How about letting sweet woodruff fill in the gaps, Robin? Easy, always looks nice and smells great in bloom. It's become my all-purpose filler these days!

Thumbnail by MissFabulous
The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

That's very pretty, Shirley. You have convinced me to get the Sweet Woodruff to fill in a few spots around here, too. You're doing a great job!

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

Well thank you, Candyce! Those are all salvaged hostas, mostly buried under myrtle and bishop's weed. I didn't even know they were there until I stared pulling all of that stuff!

Here is a pic of the Sarah Bernhardt peonies I got last month. Can you tell the difference between the ones from Touch of Nature and HD? TON will get more of my bulb business.

Thumbnail by MissFabulous
The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Only one word describes that photo ... IMPRESSIVE!

Thomaston, CT

Sweet woodruff sounds like a nice filler, & can be used around the shrubs---Victor & Lynn suggested itea & bird's nest spruce--my son still hasn't recommended anything--you know what they say about the shoemaker's family! We have a decent shrub & tree nursery nearby, & when I get some time, I'll check it out.

If it gets decent moisture, one of the smaller clethras could be nice too. Great mid-summer fragrance.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I was checking out the Touch of Nature website. Why would they mark a plant zone 3-10, but then tell you it requires digging up and storage in the fall..... http://www.touchofnature.com/springcatalog/zephyranthes.htm . Now I know better, but not everyone does.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, that's not fair. I agree Anita.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Caveat emptor, i guess. (buyer beware)

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

That is goofy, but probably just someone distracted at the time of setting up the page. Did you send them a message to correct it? If they manage their website as well as they handle orders, then I'd bet they take care of it. I'm still stunned at the great quality of bulbs I've got from them, so if they want to confuse people, maybe that's fine, because they can be our little secret!

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Wow! i was upstate yesterday, and i found this great nursery - Riggio's in Essex. i actually bought stuff! Everything looked so healthy and cared for. A bit pricier than i'm used to on some things - and very fancy arty decor and pots - but most were about the same. i have never seen seedlings in 4 packs though - same size as a 6 pack, but i guess more room to grow. i actually took a picture of the stuff i bought, cause it looked so good! (i'll show you later...)
And i found 2 things i hadn't seen elsewhere - a black pearl pepper plant (yay!) and a starsister dahlia just like the $1 rescue one i nurtured through last year to bloom in late September, only to dig up the tuber and forget about it...
i also got a 6 pack of all white cosmos - i seem to be short on white ones - which has 2 plants in 5 of the 6 cells, and a 4 pack of black dragon coleus, and a 4 pack of wizard mix coleus - they were just so pretty and healthy!

Thomaston, CT

Glad you found some nice things, amy--black pearl pepper sounds interesting--I also picked up some plants in a 4 pack, but I figured they could charge the same amount for 2 less plants! Essex is a beautiful little river town--very picturesque---I remember having a nice meal there one summer's day. I did stop at a nursery today & picked up 2 bird's nest spruce & a gold thread juniper----but I need something more----4 very overgrown plants came out of that area---I left in a variegated euonymous, & have a variegated hosta, so I'm thinking plain. Saw a Summer Wine ninebark at the nursery--loved it, but nowhere to put it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I bought four packs in the two nurseries I bought at.
Like Robindg I figured they were downsizing and Same pricing like wvweything else.
Bought a candybar or pound of coffee lately?

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Celeste - regarding your peach tree - did you buy it locally, or mail-order?

I just purchased one from Fast Growing Trees Nursery (on-line) for my dh for Father's Day. He's a peach addict, so I thought I'd get him his own.

They're not listed in the Watchdog, but their home page has a blurb "as seen in Martha Stewart Living", so I figure it must be decent.

It's a Dwarf Elberta, but grows to 15 feet. Supposed to be disease and insect resistant. I hope it's good - for the price I paid!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Sue, DH found & fell in love with the peach tree's at Lowe's the first week it was open. It's a brand new store just opened at the end of April/1st of May maybe and it was their first shipment of Fruit Tree's. We just happened to be there as they were putting them out and he grabbed 2. I had a Dwarf Elberta also, but it didn't make it so DH decided to replace it with these .

I have 2 Dwarf Elbertas and I would not buy them again, I don't think. I really don't like much of any thing as a Dwarf. I want the whole thing. I am serious. Dont get your mind in the gutter either.

Okay, Snow White...

ok guys and gals - I have been baby sitting a single leaf that was mixed in with a six pack of pansies for a month now. Is this a weed or a plant? If it is a plant what is it? If it is a weed I dont want to sit with it no more.

Thumbnail by

Thumbnail by
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Have no idea what it is except healthy. I think it needs more time to show itself. plant is somewhere out of sight for a science project.

Stopped at another nursery on the way home last night looking for a golden ninebark for clem kiri te kanawa to grow into. left with a Redbud hazel - http://www.greatplantpicks.org/index.php?page=display&id=2430&searchterm=all
- The foliage on this looks like it will be really nice. The golden ninebark did not make the cut and went with a coppertina instead. Also picked up a royal purple smokebush to replace one here that has not leafed out.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

An artemesia or mugwort?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

replacement jm carnival arrived today from FF. Nice and big.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

mugwort... here is mine growing in my garden last year.... toss it

Thumbnail by onewish1
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

If anyone is looking for ideas on what to buy... I found this website. http://www.abnativeplants.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.home/index.htm

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I bought a scrub brush for my fingernails - does that count?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

todays damage from well sweep herb farm in NJ... what a great place

http://www.wellsweep.com/

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have to look up if any of this stuff I bought is invasive

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

for fairy garden

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oops that wasn't for the fairy garden.... the next two are