Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

Eye of Newt

Lebanon, OR

Giggles and Grins

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh my I can hardly wait for mine its been so long and I have so many new ones yours are so lovely!!!
Gloria

Lebanon, OR

Well they started 3 weeks behind schedule, so soon you should have bloom. About 2/3 done on the SDB

D

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

A nice sized clump of Baby Blessed is full of blooms, even though it just bloomed fully last fall.

Linda

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I love the shots of the iris in clumps! They really give a good idea of how they might look in the garden. And so pretty!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I took a few of my iris today. Here is a few of my favorites.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Another bed of mostly blues, whites and lavenders.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is a favorite that was gifted to me without and ID. Can anyone help guess.
Teresa

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Great pics!!!

Mine are almost all finished...except for rebloomers later on, so I will be salivating over everyone else's for the next month!!!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Mrsj, I know how you feel. I have been looking at your pics and just wishing for mine to bloom!

Oh Teresa, I hope you get an ID for your lavender and white beauty. It is just gorgeous. Love the color.

Linda

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I hope so too, Linda. I call it Delicate One for now.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

late bloomer from texas...Capricious Candles

Thumbnail by jackieshar

Pink Horizon blooms late here too

Thumbnail by jackieshar
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm an iris newbie and have been quietly learning from all of you! How many bulbs in general do you guys plant together for a nice clump? I will place my first iris order this summer....so exciting!

I usually plant 3 bulbs in a triangle 8 to 12 inches apart and plan on dividing every three years

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You can place an order right now Rob. All of the internet suppliers will be open. Just for your info - they are called rhizomes rather than bulbs.

South Hamilton, MA

Yea doss! Keep up with the terminology. Dutch irises, & reticulata are bulbs.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is a clump of Blueberry Bliss

Thumbnail by doss
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks Doss! I knew "bulbs" didn't quite sound right but I couln't tell why! lol...
I know I can order now...but since I can't plant until July (so I was told) I'd rather wait ($$$!) ; )

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That's fine. You just risk the growers getting low on inventory if you wait. Just like with Dahlias that you have to order by December if you want what you really want!

You don't necessarily need to order three of each rhizome, although that certainly will get you a clump faster. That clump of Blueberry Bliss has been in the ground for three seasons from one rhizome. It depends on your growing conditions and the cultivar. Some are happier than others so I plant different cultivars and see what performs best in my garden.

Lebanon, OR

Medians grow very rapidly and from one rhizome in ONE year you can get a very nice display and clump

D

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Dee, he is in zone 10 which doesn't seem to bode well for him growing medians. What do you think?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh yes, please let me know if there are particular species that I should avoid...

Lebanon, OR

In zone 10 which thank you Doss for telling me, medians need a cold snap to make them do really well.

TB which is 27 1/2" tall or more and will be labelled TB or Tall Bearded iris will do well for you, as when I lived in zone 9-10 in Southern Calif, I grew them. Cal Dixie (sad to say no longer in business) was in Riverside and their gardens had very nice iris and rhizomes

D

Sorry for the goof

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks D! That's great because I like the tall ones better than the others anyway!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I totally agree - Tall Bearded grow great in zone 9 - Phoenix!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Do you have it in mostly shade or sun?

Thank you D and Doss. You gave me a new term to look up. I had never heard of middle sized irises referred to as "medians" before. There is even a Median Iris Society! I learned something new today.

robcorreia, lots of my irises have started with just a rhizome, and it seemed that I had a clump in only a couple of years. If you start with a smaller amount, you won't have to divide your clump so quickly. Saves the back and the knees!

Linda

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Rob, what is 'it' that grows in sun or shade?? Iris or something else.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Rob- if you are talking about the tall bearded, mine are in full sun until 3PM - and they love it!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

this is my "Don't Ever Move Clump " !
of
Miss Nellie , Whoop um Up, Bottled Sunshine
stray dogs came in to yard and shook tags out of my pots ,
i planted them all together
i knew they were all ib and bb and I could name them at bloom time then move them and match to tags
it such a pretty clump i going to leave it like it is
.Some times OOPS is good.^_^

This message was edited May 14, 2008 2:50 PM

Thumbnail by tazzy

STARTLED - ib

This message was edited May 14, 2008 2:35 PM

Thumbnail by tazzy

ALL ABUZZ - ib

Thumbnail by tazzy

You sure have some beauties Tazzy

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lovely, Tazzy!

I'd keep that don't ever move clump as is, too.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Got some beauties Tazzy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.