At last

I little while ago i posted about my Bamboo Phyllostachys vivax auricaulis, that it had been in the ground for a while and done nothing, well it is at last sending up three new culms, should look good just before the Autumn takes over, pleased about it growing at last.

Well i can tell you people, it doesnt seem to grow as fast as the other bamboos, its new culms are still short and havent grown a much at all, not like the other two phyllostachys i have, they grew a foot or more in this time.

So if you are looking for a slow growing bamboo that looks very good, this is it.

This message was edited Wednesday, Aug 29th 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info AJC,BTW what zone
are you? Sis'

I am in the UK zone 9.

Thought so'

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I planted this a year or two ago: Phyllostachys aureosulcata (Yellow Groove Bamboo)...and it scared me, so I dug it up. I'm in zone 6. Why did it scare me?...well, it looked pretty tame at first, but after it was happy being in the ground over the course of one season it really started going nuts on me. I saw new shoots coming up at least 5 feet away from the original location! I had put a metal barrier around it (2 ft deep) when I planted it...but it still got away from me. Sure, I could contain it if I really want to, but I just didn't want to go through all that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.