A favorite Mother's Day gift to give or receive?

There are a total of 320 votes:

Treat mom to something for her garden (a plant, a tool, or ?)
(200 votes, 62%)
Red dot

Make a special meal for mom (what's on the menu?)
(22 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Mom gets a day IN the garden with no distractions!
(31 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Mome gets a day OUT of the garden, and somebody else does the chores
(20 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Other?
(47 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Snohomish, WA

I always get my mom a new plant for her garden. This year I am going to give her the first alocasia she would have. I want to give her something tropical for her garden.She loves to mix it up with her plants.I'll bet she plants it by a rose!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I always hope for something for the garden. My kids (well, I only have one kid, but I refer to my DS, DDIL, and DGDs as 'the kids') know I will be happy with anything garden related. For my recent birthday I got a beautiful glass hummer feeder and 2 roosting pockets. But I'm betting on a plant for Mother's Day.

(Deb) Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

This year I'm trying my hand at indoor gardening. I hope that I get a nice and exotic houseplant.

Canton, GA(Zone 7b)

I usually get my mom plants too... but this year she requested to not have to plant anything, or try to keep it alive if the drought gets worse.

I bought her a wishing well planter, and some other little things for her garden. My brother and I are also sending her two bouquets of flowers on Friday morning.

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

lol, all that's on my wish list is 'manure'..........

just a couple of large loads of manure and I'm happy!

yes, manure....

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Gift certificates to Ensata, Aitkens Salmon Creek and Iris City Gardens for Japanese irises would be ideal. Same for my birthday and same thing for Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter or any day at all.

Thumbnail by pirl
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I already bought my mom a grandiflora rose, can't remember the name, but the flower was 8 inches across and in her favorite peachy pale shade.

The kids usually get me plants or garden tools. I got a really neat hand cultivator with a extendible handle and a garden fairy for my recent birthday.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I'd planned to help finance her OTHER obsession, photography, as she is working to have years worth of slides and photos printed into bound books, but then I took her to Pecks in Cedar Rapids, IA, after the DG Round-Up, and she kept saying how much she'd love to get certain plants, so I bought them for her and told her it was an early Mother's Day present. We live 6 hours apart, so I know I won't see her next weekend!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, there was two answers to this one.

As a "mother" I chose treat mom to something for the garden (gift cards are especially wonderful!) and as a "daughter" I will cook for my 88 year old mother who has a black thumb.

I think that's why I love gardening so much, since I got her share too! She loves to look at it, but don't (and this is when she was younger, too) ask her to do anything in it! My dad is the gardener in that family, and my Aunt who passed away 42 years ago, got me my start in loving the outside.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I don't like the holidays made for selling cards, etc., so I forbid my kids from spending money for Mother's Day. They attend church with us, that makes me happy. We have a family reunion planned this year that happened to fall on Mother's Day, so everyone will be together for pot luck at the park.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

cathy4, I love you! I'm just a young mom but I've often felt the same way, that most holidays are overrated when it involves expenses. The just being together is plenty for me. I wouldn't want my kids to go all out for me on anything! However I do love the husband to give me some time to myself or a dinner out sometimes.

In the mothers day case I honor that others don't share my views so do send a card and try to visit/take out to dinner etc. But I don't expect a thing from my children, I'm a mother because I chose to be and their beautiful exsistence is my joy!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Same here! Mother's Day has been turned into a commercial holiday just like Valentines Day. For both, we have a family day and enjoy each other's company, not buy cards or other mass marketed gifts. My husband may get me a small gift, but it's something unrealated to the marketing craze.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We were just talking about this earlier today. Both of our Moms have passed away, so we will have to be happy with keeping them in our thoughts on Mom's Day.

For me though, I told DH what would make me the happiest, (if the weather cooperates), is to have the kids come over and help us with some things we've been wanting to get done in the yard and then grill steaks or order pizza in. I would much rather do that than go out to eat at a buffet or something.

This message was edited May 5, 2008 10:12 AM

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm happy to find out I'm not the only one. Love me all year, not just on MD. Grins!

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

All I really want is to do no cooking or supervising of meals on Mothers Day. However, this year my birthday is on Mothers Day but my DH will be away, so I'm going to be treated to a garden conservancy outing, a trip to the spa and a lovely lunch out with my boys in the days preceeding it. Ah bliss.......

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Since I can't visit my mom this year, I bought her a linen jacket and practiced some of the embroidery designs I plan to use on my wedding dress later this year.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Morganton, NC

My kids know the way to make me happy on mothers day is to get me anything yard related. Flowers, yard art, ANYTHING!

South Dennis, NJ(Zone 7b)

In the garden all day with NO distractions? What a luxury. No phone calls, no surprise visitors, NOT being called in to work, no puppysitting, no meals to plan? Yesssssssssssssss!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm with you, winterrobin! No distractions--no "Mama! I need you! Mama! Help! Mama! What's this? Mama! The phone's ringing!... "

Sheer, unadulterated bliss... :)

Granite City, IL(Zone 6a)

We used to get Mom a new rose bush every year but in recent years have switched to filling her butterfly/bird garden. Last year was a birdbath with a dripper & mister, this year will be some shrubs that produce berries for the local birds.
We also always take our yearly shopping trip to visit the local nurseries.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Last year, to my complete surprise (and I think to theirs as well), my husband and kids actually collaborated on making a Container Garden, a place for all my containers to live! The process was remarkable. . . unprecedented!

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

I asked my DH to build the pergola he's been promising for a year. I think he's gonna do it!!!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

A special meal for mom that she doesn't have to clean up afterwards would hit the spot for many. I know it would me!

Hebron, KY

Mom always wants just a small container planted with 'Lady in Red' Salvia for Mother's Day. It's her favorite and mine too! Hummers love it!

I already have it potted it for her (week of April 20), so it can become established and fuller with buds and flowers when I give it to her. I potted up a second container just like it and will give the best of the two.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31636/

Marilyn

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

My mom doesn't really get much more than a card and a call if she's home - she doesn't live real close. I try to do things special for her when I visit. My kids mom usually does get a plant she likes that I normally wouldn't buy for the garden.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I have to work all day so we just don't do any thing the kids are all grown and gone so I just come home and plop on the deck and relax :0)
Gloria

Dana Point, CA(Zone 9a)

My wonderful daughter bought a fabulously beautiful birdbath, complete with bas relief roses around bath itself. Today I spent the day in bed all day! (that's because I was playing in the garden all day yesterday and did too much heavy lifting - but it was worth it and I'm enjoying my day in bed. This year Mother's Day has been a real first.

Two years from now we're touring gardens and nurseries in France, esp. rose gardens.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

I always like to get a tool of some sort to make my projects easier, a day left to my own devices AND a nice dinner cooked by someone else!!~~ The best part is just spending time with my son and my hubby and knowing I've reminded them enough times to do something special for me that I've actually made an impression.

The day after, I start trying to figure out what wonderful thing I can do for my DH for Father's Day!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Last summer my mom invited me over to see her new lawn furniture. As I was admiring the rosebushes, dogwood tree, bird feeder etc... she kept answering, "it was a gift from you". I gave her a house plant last year in a lovely blue glazed planter.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

My mom will get a vacation. :~)

Since I AM the Mom, what I voted for was 'other' and what I really want is my two men (DS and DH) helping me with chores in the garden that are too heavy for me.
But I would also like something for the garden, or a nice meal prepared for me.....

Joey in Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

My crew makes lasagna for me every year. Its quite an event, they wear silly hats, use fake Italian accents and prance around around the kitchen being silly and making a huge mess! (which they clean up thank goodness!) It has become quite the tradititon. Now our youngest is 2 he able to participate as well. They call tehmselves the Lasagna Butt Basters LOL...don't ask!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

My mom lives in Illinois... I'm in Colorado. I gave her a Happy Mothers Day call this evening... She got a BIG kick out of it being a week early! (I goofed... not unusual for me) I made her day and my father's too. We all agreed that it was better early than late.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

For a decade I got a "Mother's Day Shovel", "Mother's Day Rake" or a "Mother's Day Lilac" -- something garden related and useful, but my kids were never happy with my choice. One year I asked for "Black Beauty", and you can imagine they were really disappointed it wasn't a horse. LOL! (Black Beauty is a wheelbarrow made by Ames)

This will be their first year getting me something on their own, so we'll see what I end up with. I am 90% sure it will NOT be garden related. :((
For people with grown children: do your husbands get you a Mother's day gift? Or is it just your kids? I need to know if I am supposed to be hitting him up for something.

Suzy

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

My favorite way to spend Mother's Day is at Highland Park for the Lilac Festival with my DH and DS. Pack a picnic, spread a blanket between the lilacs, then sit back and enjoy.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i just want a day in the garden and no one Bother me!!!
i will be in when im ready!!! feed yourselves and please clean up after yourselves that all i want!

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Definitely, a gift certificate to a good book store, so she can pick out her favorite gardening book!

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I chose "Other" because I have everything I could possibly want. Our mothers are long gone and the kids are parents themselves and take the day to be w/their families. They will all call me and some will send gift cards or something similar but they know I neither want nor expect anything. I do love to start planning what I'm going to do for my DDH on Fathers' Day.

Ann

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

My Mom and I go plant shopping together in the afternoon, then we have my parents over for supper.

My daughter takes us to brunch and my grandsons usually get me a garden ornament.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.