Bamboo - favorites???

Pensacola, FL

I'm new to bamboo, having been an ornamental grass enthusiast for 20 years now. I've loved the look and versatility of bamboo, especially in play with ornamental grasses, but to this point have never grown them commercially. Any suggestions on varieties to start playing with for fun, and also those that seem to have more common market value as well. Thanks for any input.

Sarasota, FL

I'm not sure what zone you're in. 9-A? Are there clumping bamboo growing around that you see? These are the more often than not more tender species. Culms grow fairly close together. Clumpers are not considered invasive. In bad winters where you live, they'd freeze to the ground. I really like Alphonse Karr. Mine all died when they flowered 2 yrs ago. They make great plant stakes, at least. It's a beautiful plant, not too tall, I've only seen them 15 ft high. Cream with green stripes and pink.
One friend makes flutes from the culms; they're thin enough but strong.
Running species have flat sides alternating on each side of the culm: node, internode flat on left side, node, internode flat on right side and so on.
You can take cuttings of mature clumpers right now.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Karlfoerster, noting how long ago you began this thread, I hope this helps. I am sold on Otatea acuminata aztecorum or Mexican Weeping Bamboo. It's a clumper and grows maybe 15'. You'll love it's graceful movement as it easily moves with the wind. It's beautiful when backlit. An added bonus, it's drought tolerant. Here's a close shot of my plant. You can see the grassy leaves. This plant takes a couple of years for taller shoots to appear, but when it takes off you'll get taller and more abundant shoots each year.

Thumbnail by zone10
Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Zone 10, I bought an Otatea acuminata aztecorum or Mexican Weeping Bamboo off eBay last night! I'm delighted to have won the auction! Any info you can give from your own experience would be appreciated. It will not be a mature plant, the ad says there are 'some' culms! I'd guess at most 3! Is it a fast grower? How long till it is full and can 'waft' in the breeze! I know full sun is a requirement and am planning to put a few of them along my driveway for privacy! I understand they are easily propogated from root cuttings with a spade! I'd really appreciate any pointers you can pass along! I imagine your plant is ??? 4+ feet? How long did it take to reach the height it is? Thanks,
bedouin

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Congratulations on your purchase Bedouin! I'm sure you'll be happy with your plant. Here are a couple of pointers...

First, my plant took a couple of years to get established. During this time, it will show hardly any new top growth, but as you will later see, it is spreading under ground. During the third growing season (warm months), my plant took off. It grew 10-15 new culms and each year after that, the culms were taller and taller. I've had my plant for ten years now, and it is about 10' tall. Keep in mind, a 15' culm will bend over and give you about 10' in height. The clump has expanded only about 18" from it's original footprint. So, it's not invasive at all.

This bamboo produces a LOT of grass-like litter. It makes a great mulch, but requires a lot of sweeping over sidewalks.

I give my plant a dose of balanced, organic fertilizer every few weeks during the growing season. I compliment it with a dose of blood-meal (nitrogen) peak summer. Please don't ask how I came up with this regimen, it just seems to work. LOL!

I deep water this plant about every other week during summer, depending on the weather. When it's water-stressed, the leaves tend to curl. I water about once a month during dry winters.

Lastly, new growth gains height quickly but the branches look fairly sparse. They don't take on that grass-like appearance until the following growing season.

Hope I wasn't too long-winded. Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy. It's a beautiful plant! Sue T.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I have some kind of variegated bamboo that I bought locally here in south central MO zone 5a. I do not know the exact name of it. It has been in the ground for 3 years. It dies back every winter and starts over in the spring. The first year it did nothing more than stay alive. Each year after it sent a few new shoots up from the ground. The nursery where I bought it did tell me it can and will eventually take over the entire yard. It is a big yard (20 acres) so I am not worried. A lawn mower keeps it in check. I noticed that this year I found it growing away from the initial planting spot. I do not know if mowing will encourage it to spread more the way it does with the lawn. It could be that 50 years from now I won't have normal grass I will have a lawn of 2 inch tall bamboo. I guess as long as it is green it is still lawn right?

Zone 10, thanks for your detailed feeding guide.

Remember the Otatea (Mexican Weeping Bamboo) I'd won on eBay? Well, no delivery from seller! After some annoyance, they refunded the money ...no message to me that there was a problem their end! (family illness was the excuse they gave after I'd contacted THEM ...what ...2+ weeks after my purchase not yet delivered)????!!!! Bet they did not have one in stock! ! I'm sooo annoyed! Looked up the seller's rating and found it was pretty bad! Should have checked that in the first place!

'Kathy, can you eat the young bamboo sprouts? Pickle them in vinegar! Yum! In time you could set up a local business as they'll multiply unendingly!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Bamboo Sourcery has Otatea if you want to try again with a more reputable source. I just got a couple from them a few weeks ago.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Hmmm a thousand panda can't be wrong. I need to look for a pickled bamboo recipe. Actually, if it ever does grow that much it is not a bad idea to look into whether it is fit for human consumption. I never thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

Thousand Oaks, CA

It's hard to find, but check out Variegated Temple Bamboo, Sinobambusa tootsik albostriata. Makes me swoon.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Bedouin, so sorry to hear about your disappointing experienced with the eBay seller. I second the recommendation from Ecrane, Bamboo Sourcery is a good resource. I purchased my plant from them and what's nice is, they sell the Mexican Weeping Bamboo in 1 gallon pots. At least they did when I bought mine.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks for the Bamboo Sourcery link. It certainly has an excellent selection including the Otatea. I'm redoing an area in the garden to incorporate a waterfall/fountain/stream and have one Otatea which I'm leaving in situ as a specimin which will be leaning over the water when the project is completed. Its about 6' ++ tall and absolutely beautiful. I saw 'the lost' one eBay and being a good price, I was excited to win it! Sigh! Maybe I'll just divide the one I have when the time is right! Thanks for the link everyone. I found a site for Tropical Bamboo as well! Wish I had more land!.......I'd love to have more of them!

A pic of my graceful Otatea.

Thumbnail by bedouin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.