Anyone know the difference

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

between Phyllostachys vivax f. Aureocaulis and Phyllostachys vivax Aureocaulis? What does the "f" in the first one stand for?

I noticed that the one tagged Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis' at a bamboo nursery was so much more yellow than the one in PF here. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/130404/

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

So of course I had to get one for pot culture no less. I may be insane.

Thumbnail by Kell
Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Kell, I dont know what the f stands for. I think it's a mistake. LOL!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've seen f. used before, I don't know what it means but when I've seen it previously it seemed like it was along the lines of var. and subsp, maybe it means form? I would guess those two names mean the same plant though.

Pensacola, FL

The 'f' stands for forma. A forma indicates a variation which happens randomly within the species.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Karl,

What do you mean by "variation"? Is it just a difference in culm color?

Pensacola, FL

I'm no expert on nomenclature, but here's what I found:

Forma: Describes sporadic variations, such as an occasional white flowered plant in a population of a normally red-flowered species. For example, Cornus florida is usually white in nature, but pink flowered plants occur naturally, being referred to as Cornus florida f. rubra.

So, I suppose that if it were a more commonly occuring varietal difference wihtin the species, it would be exactly that...a variety. But when it's only an occasional variation, it's a forma.

I suppose that vivax f. aureocaulis is a 'golden (aureo) stalked (caulis)' forma of the vivax.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Make sense to me. THANK YOU And thank you all for stating your thoughts. I appreciate the help!!

Pensacola, FL

Forgive the question from a bamboo novice, but is Phyllostachys vivax Aureocaulis usually streaked or is that more of a random occurance? The golden canes with green streaking is really beautiful!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello Karl,

Bumping up this old thread to answer your question from last May.

We just returned from a trip to Bear Creek Nursery in Eureka Springs,
Arkansas.

The P. vivax aureocaulis is indeed streaked, and gorgeous at that!
We had to bring home a 5 gallon bucket.

:-) KM

Thumbnail by WUVIE
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

That is beautiful, KM!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.