The month of May in our Gardens.

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

Always on the lookout for new and unusual plants, I found this one to my liking and plan to put it in amongst my toad lilies. It is Ledebouria Gary Hammer

Thumbnail by kudrick
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

kudrick,

BEAUTIFUL flower portraits!!!!! Love the close-up of the center of your Clematis.

I need to get outside and take a picture of my "Multi Blue" Clematis. It has a bunch of blooms on it too. Oh, well....Let me post one from last year. Same thing......
In another week or so--I will be able to dazzle you all.......

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Ohhhhhhhhhh - I was trying to get my hands on one of them Gita!!!!!!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow on the Montana - I was trying to get one of them as well - Brushwood was sold out of both :-(

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I have planted Multi Blue three times to finally get one that is going to live. The problem is I was buying small plants. I certainly won't do that again, not only because it's harder to get them established but it takes more years than I want to wait for them to get big enough to bloom.

I think Brushwood has Multi Blue, Bec.

That's a gorgeous photo, Gita. Yours too, Wrightie and Kudrick.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hart - yes they do - no they are sold out :( Several of the ones I really wanted are sold out - they'll have to wait until next year - after receiving such incredible plants from them they are the only nursery I'll order Clematis from :)

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

Yowzy Gita, it's gorgeous!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Kudrick - love, love that arch - stunning!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Shoot. I'd offer you some cuttings but mine is still so pitifully small I don't dare cut anything off of it. And you would like to have flowers in your lifetime.

Several people have told me that about Brushwood. I don't suppose they get more available for fall planting?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Don't know - but I am on the list for updates - I'll keep ya posted - they do have the best plants - and I don't think they are pricey for the size you receive compared to other nurseries

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wrightie; your unknown purle stalk that looks like gladioula that you love sooooo. Could be a ground orchid. Look in to it. ^_^
Everyone, lovely spring flower from the Northeast. I've enjoyed everyone's posting.
Kim (from the SE region).

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec--You know--sometimes you'd be amazed what you find at HD! That's where I bought mine....maybe 4 years ago? Then I bought a second one (not sure where) and planted it right next to my first one. They are both twining away and blooming....

I think that not all HD's get the same thing so it is a good idea to check every now and then. Right now mine has a lot of Clematis for sale--but they are all the same kind--something light blue. It is hard to imagine that EVERY HD would get only that one variety. Maybe each store gets a different one????

I will keep an eye out for the Multi Blue. If I ever find one--I will grab it up and take it to the Swap. I will check everywhere else I buy plants also.

Thanks for all your kind words.....

Gita

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Iceberg opened today :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Lily-Love, thank you! I think that there is a strong chance that it is indeed this one, or a close cousin -- http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/671/

York, PA

http://www.silverstarvinery.com/vines.asp?letter=M has incredible plants. The root systems are huge and Debbie the owner is such a sweet lady. I had one not come back up last year (due to my own fault) and when I ordered a new one she gave it to me for free... even after explaining that it was my fault. I won't buy my clematis anywhere else.

They have the following Montanas in stock:
Montana Broughton Star
Montana Freda
Montana Pink Perfection
Montana Wilsonii

All are zone 7-9.

Joanne

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Mid-Atlantic Forum has the finest gardeners and photographers. So many beautiful pictures. Most of my plants are very small. This is the first year for everything but a gorgeous pink peony and a clematis petit fauchon, both in pots, both three years old. I am looking forward to having a real planted-in-the-earth garden to photograph.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Pam, I hope you're coming to the swap on May 24. Then you'll have lots of things to photograph.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wrightie; thanks to you also now that I know they're hardy even in your temperate zone. I've one or two that I may set them out directly into the garden. lol.
Kim

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

There's an echo in here -- deleting extraneous post!

This message was edited May 5, 2008 8:12 PM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Cool! Mine was planted about four years ago in heavy clay soil and full sun and is doing just fine. I have since amended the beds with loads (and loads!) of compost, but otherwise I've ignored it. Now that I know more about it, I will see if I can get it to spread more.

And I'll definitely be getting more!

Oh, and it just gets better and better -- I MUST HAVE THIS ONE http://www.herbsociety.org/promplant/bletillastriata.php And I like it that much more knowing that it has TCM uses.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Now you'll get everyone into the "ground orchid's fever". lol. Thanks for sharing the link.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

You guys are such a tease putting up links to plants that are not hardy in my zone, boo hoo. I'll just have to enjoy the pictures.

Here is a picture of my late blooming tulips.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Daphne, Carol Mackie. This one is fragrant, love working in this bed when she is in bloom.

Picture of the whole shrub.

Fern fronds unfurling at the top of the water garden, can you spot the real frog in the water, hint.. upper left. Edit, sorry the copy write is hiding the real frog.

This message was edited May 6, 2008 7:59 AM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

UGH, I have wanted a fragrant daphne for a very long time .... still hasn't happened! Gawgeous!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I had no idea bletilla was so pretty or so large, Wrightie. I've never seen a photo of a whole plant, just pictures in catalogs that show a bloom or two.

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

Wrightie, your Bletilla is beautiful, and Lily Love is right: I just ordered 3 white ones!

Flowering Crab, Seems this spring has been great for flowering trees and shrubs!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

My roses are apparently enjoying the weather

Iceberg - climber

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Zephirine Drouhin

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

New Dawn

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Joseph's Coat again -

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

As I was taking the pictures I realized I did lose a couple over the winter - but, since I have so many I think I am doing good - final bud, Pink Knock Out

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mercy Becky - LOOK at all your babies!!!!

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

enjoying everyones photos :)
Wrightie, I love your stone walkway :) and that is Bletilla striata you have. I just bought it this season for the first time. Did it spread for you? I'm hoping mine will. It is just beautiful. I posted some of my other blooms on Buttoneer's Mid-Atlantic thread, didn't realize you all were here too. Here is my Bletilla, posted again and here is the link to the id of the Bletilla http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/671/

Thumbnail by wind
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Just realized with the exception of my roses - nearly ALL my flowers are purple/blue (very few pinks) in one shade or another :-)

Siberian Iris - I literally have tons of them white/purples

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Baptista

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Unknown (what's new?) Salvia

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Stephan's jasmine (either I am stuffed up - but, the scent is very, very faint)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.