gloriosa lily...unreal....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

But now...we have options...we can sell our extra goodies at DG MarketPlace so we can buy that extra bag of potting soil...on sale of course because we asked for the dammaged or torn bags! lol

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

omg Marie....number 12 is me all over...I DID sell some of my egyptian walking onions on ebay this year, and immediately used the money to buy woodland wildflowers! LOL

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
we can sell our extra goodies at DG MarketPlace so we can buy
NOT! I've already bought so much and found more to buy I need to raise capital... LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You mean you didn't use the special filter that only shows what your selling?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

So far I have resisted but I think I am going to be in trouble!!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Gloriosas starting to bloom here. They will keep it up until about December.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, Lisa - I can't wait to see your flower gardens - I know they are gorgeous!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

NOt. Well, the front looks good. I have the back all torn up. I am downsizing, moving a shed, building a greenhouse, and putting in another pond. So, it is a mess back there.

Rylaff ~ tell me, do you add fertilizers or compost to the Gloriosa lilies during the growing year? Anything beyond water? The reason I ask is mine don't bloom for that duration.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Nope, nothing. In fact the bed in which they bloom for so long, periodically goes through a bit of a drought. And although I have them in other places this is the only bed in which they bloom so long. It gets full sun. The bed has a lot of leaves in it , so the roots are kept cool.

Y'all are convincing me I need to get them out of the pot and in the ground before they begin growing next spring... 8 )

Lisa, are you selling your unwanted plants on Ebay? If so, what is your name on there???

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I was wondering that too, the question Podster asked. Mine started growing like gangbusters, grew a bloom after growing about a foot tall, then stopped growing and lost the bud...thought mabe I wasn't watering it enough. It probably gets half day sun now that the sun shifted higher.
rj

They are a favorite of spider mites, so you might have experienced that issue, especially if it's excessively humid where you had them.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Not at this point. Although I have thought of putting some stuff up on the new Daves garden Market Place.
Gloriosas really thrive on neglect. Mine get less than average water and no fertilizer. And absolute full sun all day. The ones that only get part sun for some reason do not bloom nearly as well. Also, I put one in a pot to see what happened. Not growing nearly as well. And it gets regular water.

Thumbnail by rylaff

Rjudd ~ I struggled to get these growing at first. I started them in a pot and have kept them potted. The first year it sent out sprouts that would die back or lose buds but no blooms. The second year was the same and I set the pot out back and forgot them. The third year they took off. They grow and bloom for about two months and I was curious what it took to keep it going thru the summer. Do believe they will go in ground next spring. I've never encountered spider mites on these. The only bother was a rogue grasshopper that munched holes in the gorgeous leaves. Grrr...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay, I think I see the problem them, they are in the "water frequently" garden bed with EE's, Hibiscus and Heliconia. I wonder if I should consider moving it to one of the dry zoned beds?

Blackshear, GA(Zone 8a)

I finally got my first bloom today. It is a Carsonii.

Thumbnail by Smegtone
Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Beautiful!

Lisa, do I need to watch how much water they get? You've said full sun, but it always looks like you have plants all around your vines when you post the beautiful pics.

I've got 6 tubers that I bought and need to put in the ground. Is it too late for them to bloom this year?

This message was edited Jun 3, 2008 10:51 PM

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Jmorth, they ae starting to grow, much thanks, Clemen

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Maybe. But I am sure they will bloom next year. Mine get water about once a week.

Where can I find one? Mekos

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

further up there thread there are some links..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4950280

So fun to reread this thread. I noticed flower buds on mine tonite. I also neglected to empty the pot again. It now has vines coming out the drain holes on the pot.

Rjudd ~ is yours blooming yet? How did it do in ground last year?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I have 2 seed of gloriosa lutea sprouted....I guess I'm in for the long haul before I see blooms...
someone said the "bigbox" stores have these but i've not seen them here.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

A couple of mine just started blooming.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Saw tubers for sale at our Southern States (feed store/nursery) couple of months ago

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think mine is about to pop any day..one of them I should say....I've found 4 other vines growing in locations and pots...sometimes I forget... but the one in the front garden is about 3 feet tall now..been growing like a weed.! I forgot to check it this morning;..but was busy watering as summer has started here...89/70 89/70 / 90/71 type of forecast

Yes... and 105% humidity but your tropicals will love it! LOL

Chantell? Didn't you acquire any??? 8 )...

We've been in a drought here. I'll be glad when we get some rain. Horse pastures need it, yard needs it. I don't water the grass in the yard, so spend a lot of time running around setting up sprinkers to just hit the flower beds, or hand watering.
errrrrrrrrrrr

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Drought? I'd be thrilled to send our precipitation along with Noah down your way!! Ugh!!
Kristi - of course I did!!! Wouldn't think I'd pass that up, now would you? LOL Pulled every single one out of the box then compared them and took the largest...bad, I know. ^_^

Bad? LOL but they don't have a fragrance... 8 (

Chantell,
I wish you could send some moisture our way. Very rare here that we not only haven't had rain, it's been "NOT Humid", just hot.
So "spot watering" and spraying leaves. My grass is crunchy! My little Gloriosa lutea sprouts are truding along. Sooo tiny yet tho.
mj

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

mfsponies... same here, except I have food mixed in with my landscaping bed, which allowes me to actually water when ever I feel the need too! *S*

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Drought here too...yikes! I dug up the area where the gloriosas were planted (short memory, oops), and ended up with a variety of random and mysterious tuber-like items, some of which I'm sure are the gloriosas, and some of which appear to be other...things. I have a tiny yard, but have tucked many little bulbs and tubers in between other plants, so I'm going to have quite a few surprises this year. I ended up with a seedpod on one of my gloriosa lilies. I saved the seeds, and they are now sitting on a paper plate in my dining room. LOL.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

sunnyg, sounds LIKE ME!!! I'll be like Gomer Pyle next spring. . SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE!! **giggles**
I took handsfull of seeds a few weeks ago and just THREW them all over my front landscape bed... and I'm getting alot of lil sprouts EVERYWHERE... hubby told me if I needed help weeding he'd get the RoundUp spray...told him if one drop was sprayed he would get his butt kicked!!! *S* ((he has since then told me that the landscape bed does look nice)).

This picture was taken MARCH 10TH

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

and this one taken on APRIL 30TH

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71

Well, most "edibles" are in the "edibles" garden. I do have herbs mixed in here and there w/ the others tho. We're zoned agricultural, so have more "watering liberties" plus being on a deep fed spring well. Still with as much as we have it's sprawled all over it can be a job. Thank goodness many things are getting more established so not the need to water them quite so much, like the wildflower/annual bed.
But some of my "specialty" plants just have to be done every two days or so. Trying to get more on drip irrigation, but haven't gotten a whole lot of head way with that. It can be such a two edged sword here, cause when it does start to rain, it's then the opposite problem.
I generally plant w/ the "too much rain" thought as far as drainage, just backfires when we get the rare droughts.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

wow, you've been busy....
I do the seed throwing too..have a patch of zinnias from doing that.

Here's the first space flower (gloriosa) of the season for me.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't need many edibles, just wanted to try my hand at a few to start..haven't been in a veggie garden since I left Kansas! My parents and brother that's still there in the country still put in a garden every year, though.

Am beggin' hubby to get me a drip irrigation for that big landscape bed, especially since I have some things in there that need a lil drink everyday ((mostly the hanging baskets))*!! *

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.