Heidi Chronicles: Almost The End...

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

We were taking the plastic of the gh, cuz the heat here will turn it to crumble over the summer. The gh has oodles of them in it. I got them all over the place here and even had one get in the house an dtry and drink my coffee. Almost swallowed it. aggggggg.

We had dragged the plastic out to the field to fold it and happened to see this little guy had hitched a ride and knew the birds would get him and would die out there so said we ned ed to catch him.

My friend tried and he jumped. she had thought he had jumped on her pants but didnt see him when she turned around. On the way back to the plant area noticed it taking a stroll on her hat and just happened to have camera outside for once. Took him back to gh and he hopped off and back into the plants. : )

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm late in checking in - Cheryl I hope everything is OK. Yes, please do get yourself checked out. If there are problems maybe they can nip them in the bud. And you do need to go soon for insurance purposes.

Sending my prayers that all will be OK.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm praying that the absence of Cheryl means she went to get checked out.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Everyone!

I'm afraid starlight was right (and I just had to laugh when I read that even though laughing makes the muscles around my rib cage hurt). I have been lurking on my own thread! LOL
Didn't feel like talking at the time. I was in a kind of drab if not dark place and didn't want to see any of that in print. But I stopped in once or twice to read your posts and it was like getting a bunch of Greeting and Get Well Soon cards from cherished friends. : )

I took the past 2 days off from work and mostly just rested. That 1st night after I posted, I spoke at length with some local friends by which time the pain in my hip and neck had reached a crescendo. As I had a few pain pills left over from my recent oral surgery (perhaps the only benefit of having frequent illnesses and injuries is having something left for the next big catastrophe), I took one and promptly fell asleep. I did have that one Mike's the next day, although I went with the Hard Lime. I used a lemon wedge and some coarse grain, Kosher salt to salt the rim of the glass and sipped it in the whirlpool bath as you directed. The tub is designed to support the head and neck while you lie back and relax, so that was nice.

I did see the Dr. At this point she prescribed pain meds, muscle relaxants, and steroids (a 5 day regimen) along with PT, and 2x daily applications of heat, stretching, massage, and ice - oh, and daily messages. I know I'm going to hate that last part. ;-)
We're going to see how that works. If the pain persists into next week or worsens I am to return.

Actually, although I do have fairly severe pain in the area around the sciatic nerve (as I had expected I would) and some pain in the neck and shoulder region, I don't feel as bad as I had feared I might - at least not yet. I have a lot of minor muscle pain, the kind you get when you exercise too hard, all over my ribs, back, hips, sides, pretty much everything from my neck to my thighs, but that isn't enough to cause any real problems, keep me down, etc. I really feel this particular 'pain' when I sneeze or cough or laugh. The neck pain was worse yesterday but seems to have subsided some today. The lower back and hip are by far the worst and most distracting. The Dr said - as I already knew - that will take a while to heal. But we are still hoping for the best case.

Yesterday I had constant flashbacks to the incident. I was there all over again. My mind kept replaying the 'tape' complete with sounds, smells, and pain. All of the sensory data was so real, almost as though it were happening. When I would drift off to sleep I would be awakened suddenly by the cars 'squishing' me (what it felt like when I was sandwiched between them). A loud noise, like when the laptop AC converter fell off the bed, would trigger a return to the incident. Pain, like when I (foolishly) pulled the dresser drawer out and then banged my knee into it, would also plunge me back into the middle of the accident for an instant. Thankfully, it seems as though my mind has now finished processing the event as those flashbacks have stopped, and I find that I can no longer put my self back into the moment of the accident with such vivid recall even if I try.

Last night I wanted to go out to pick up something to eat, but decided against it as I was afraid of all the other cars. I drove today for the 1st time. I found myself less willing to pull out, merge, etc if there was a car within here and the next state, but I'm sure I'll get over that with time.

Oh, and on a lighter note, earlier on the day of the accident I found a web site that sells Peeps (supposedly wholesale prices but haven't done the comparison) year round! Yippee! We have one package left. I was wondering what we were going to do from now until the next Peeps-able holiday which I gather is Halloween. Oh, and in keeping with what I had said previously, the web site sells not only the regular chicks but also snowmen, hearts, etc.

Have to go for now. Need to let Widget out, feed the raccoons, and pick up some meds. Will try to get back soon at which time we will get back to the topic of raccoons. Thank you all for all of the wonderful [get well card] posts.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Scutler, so glad to see your post. Hopefully the meds and the massages will do the trick for you. The rest of it will sort itself out with time. You certainly have a right to be spooked in traffic. It will pass, just keep doing what you're doing. I still have occasional "panic' attacks in very heavy traffic and that accident was a long, long time ago. I've done therapy for it, since I wouldn't give in to the idea, so I can get control when it starts.

Hugs across the miles, :)

doc

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I'm sooo glad you went to the doc and are getting treatment! Always the best thing to do after a car accident. I was rear-ended many years ago stopped at a light. The vehicle two cars back hit the car in front of her, which hit mine, which hit the one in front of me (I heard the lady scream before she hit us!), and I had a torn ligament, and other aches and pains. For the longest time afterwards, I kept an eye on the rearview mirror while stopped at lights, and if the person coming from behind was going a little too fast, I panicked! But, yep, it does go away after a while.
Yippee for the site that sells Peeps all year! LOL, who'd a thunk it?

P.S. When you feel up to it, can we get a new thread, please? No rush!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Glad that you are alright & saw your Dr. These things do pass. Have been through it too with a car acciden,t and after my heart attacks. I couldn't sleep in the bed for about 2 months.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Well, dummy me, forgot to post the pic for ya of one of my many pets here. Dah........

I just knew it. I knew ya was lurker. Can't fool me or some of the others. I knew you wouldn't go to hospital cuz they would make ya stay and I know you would be worried abotu Widget and the coons being hungry.

I know darn well ya been out there feeding them. Have they noticed you are hurt and moving slower and treatign you with kid gloves. Knowing Dennis he probably so wrapped up in being a teenager and into himself, all he wants to do see if ya marshmellows and m&m's in yoru pocket.

Whatevr ya do, don't sign off on the insurance company either. You were just healed and now this accident may cause ya more problems later down the road.

I worried about ya too, you need to see if you cna find somebody you trust , so that if you do have to go to hospital or spend some time at a theraphy place, you wil have somebody to take care of widget and your family.

You take it easy, ya here????????? I been through one of them recouring nightmare accidents and I drive people crazy, cuz I was a passenger and even though it was the other guys fault remmebr and I drive people crazy if I ride with them, tellign them to stay back and slow down. If I driving I am fine, but if somebody else at the wheel I go all paranoid even after all these years.

Don't try and battle the pain yourself. when ya hurt , you get to the doc, Ok?????? Ok!!!!

Hope your relaxing in abubble bath and by the way do ya like the color purple, figure you sporting a bunch of purple color about now. You rest and take it easy. Take time and relax and watch a good tv program.

Thumbnail by starlight1153
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am so glad that you went to the Dr.! Take care of yourself and let us know if you need anything. :^)

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I am so glad you went to the doctor! Now enjoy those massages, ( I love them) and whirlpool yourself back to feeling good!

Love ya,
Susan
=^..^=

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

So good to hear from you, Cheryl; and though I'm really sorry to hear about the pain you're having, glad the damage wasn't even worse. Adrenalin at the time of the accident can disguise much. Years ago I had a much more minor accident that slammed my hand into the steering wheel. Didn't feel a thing at the time or for hours afterwards; but when I went to shower that night and pulled out the big tub faucet/diverter to send the water to the showerhead, I thought I'd die. Seems I'd broken two bones in the palm of the hand, but had no idea until that moment. Doing animal control, which involved hoisting dogs up into a van, was a real treat with one hand in a cast and the arm in a sling. That was a long couple of months...

Take good care of yourself, take all the meds you need to get through it, and try to take it one day at a time.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks again for all the wonderful well-wishes and words of encouragement and [much needed] guidance, Everyone. Although I normally like to keep my responses in line with the posts, given how long this thread has become (thanks, KyWoods, for pointing that out), I'm going to move to the new thread 1st this time. I hope you will all join me over there. Something pretty incredible happened tonight and I can't wait to share it with you: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/849472/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.