Heidi Chronicles: Almost The End...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Marylyn,

That's good to know, about the editing. I'm going to get that software. Sounds very useful. I used to have an old cassette recorder. Don't know where it is or if I tossed it out. Just haven't seen much need for such a device in ages, so I probably thought is was obsolete. But if I come across it someday...

As for that kitten food, if your bunch is going to eat it, don't throw it out. I can assure you these will scarf it down in a second. Or you might want to feed it to your wildlife.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

That figures. For some reason I thought the beet pulp was higher on the list which made it sound less inconsequential, but when I looked again I saw that the 500k or so ingredients that follow it are all vitamins and preservatives and such.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

beets are very good for you.. i personally do not like them... but if i juice them... it's good. my fave juice is carrot, beat, celery. YUM. beets make it sweet... well so do the carrots.
I forget what they are high in... but they are good.

Good tp hear Heidi had a good Mother's Day. Hopefully the kids were good to her and behaved. Maybe even HRH babysat and let her spend an hour or so at the Spa. ;-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Well, this afternoon after work I walked around the yard checking for new blooms, taking pics, and such - and Dennis followed me around like a puppy. We've come a long way I guess, the raccoons and I, since this is where we started out 2 years ago with me being afraid that Heidi was going to start following me around the garden and I'd reach back and pet her thinking she was Widget.

Now I'm sure Dennis was following me because he wanted his dinner, but it was cute none the less. A few times when I was walking over on the other side of the yard along the fence with him in tow, he would hear the neighbors outside and run away. Then a few minutes later here he would come again. After a while I heard that familiar "Huuuuu" sound and realized that Heidi was on her way, too. LOL. Normally, she waits in the tree, but I think now she's afraid that Dennis will get stuff and she might miss something, so she had to come, too.

Then I went over to check out the flower over on the side near the feeding area. Heidi went back over to the feeding area then and stood by her dish waiting. Realizing I had a pebble in my shoe, I sat down on a different bench still on that side but up near the house. While I was sitting there Dennis came over to do 'whatever it is that Dennis does', I'm at a loss to find a noun for that one. A minute or so later as I was still sitting there here came Heidi, walking right up to me as though she were a pet. I didn't have any food. She came right up to within a foot or less of me and stood there looking at me. I guess she was confused as to why I was sitting on the wrong bench and why I didn't have the food. That and I'm pretty sure she was determined not to let Dennis get fed without her. They bugged me until I had to get up and go for the food. LOL at the absurdity. It was daylight, no less and I had raccoon following me around the yard.

Today we had cat food with maybe a cup of the remaining kitten food, peanuts, and a few circus peanuts. I held off on the treats until they had eaten a measure of the cat food. Cissy kept coming over every few minutes to see if she could get a treat. She like HRH, very good manners. She walks over, looks at me for a minute or so and then goes back to her dish - just checking. Finally, after she had made several trips, I held out a circus peanut. She reached for it gently, and I could actually see the moment when she realized just exactly what it was. The excitement in her eyes was indescribable, like a woman who has just discovered that the bauble held out before her is the Hope diamond and it's all hers. I could swear I saw a HUGE smile of glee on her face as she turned to run over in the bushes and eat it.

There is a raccoon out there now that I can't exactly place. It acts like Fraidy. This is the one that everyone chases away from the food. They let her hang around but only if she stays back by or on the fence, like Fraidy. Sometimes she tries to sneak through the bushes to grab a morsel. If they see her they chase her down and bite at her. All seems very much like Fraidy, but she's a little bigger than Fraidy was when I last saw her. Don't know if she might have grown a little. And her fur is longer. She is a lighter color, more like HRH in color.

The latter makes me wonder if she could possibly be Blondie, except that the way they are treating her is not right for Blondie. Blondie was always at Heidi's side. She seemed more like the favorite one not the outcast. I don't recall her having such long hair either. Then there is the other raccoon mommy. If this one were Blondie, who would that be? Juliet? That one doesn't seem anywhere near mean enough to be Juliet. Don't get me wrong, she definitely holds her own, but she doesn't push everybody else around like Juliet used to do. That one, the mystery mommy was pretty funny today when Trouble was trying to scarf up all of the peanuts. He spied one beside her dish and started to go for it as he was only maybe 10in from the dish anyhow. She just gave him a LOOK, didn't even have to make a sound - at least not one audible to humans - and Trouble backed away to eat something else. That was something to see!

Anyhow, the outcast one, the one that might be Fraidy or might be Blondie, kept sneaking around in search of a morsel. I tossed her peanuts from time to time although I don't think Heidi approves. Then at one point when I was preoccupied with taking photos and videos, I guess she ran out of things to eat. Heidi was in the pool getting a drink, so that other raccoon tried to sneak around the pool to snatch one of Heidi's peanuts. She almost make it, and then Heidi saw her. Heidi jumped out of that pool and tore out after that other raccoon. The other raccoon didn't run fast enough, and Heidi managed to get up close enough to bite her right on the butt! And Heidi apparently really bit her, not a pretend bite, because I could see the other raccoon leap forward when Heidi bit her. Poor thing. I hate to laugh, but it did look like something right out of the cartoons - and, well, she pretty much deserved it. I mean, of all the raccoons to try to steal food from - not the Queen.

Well, that's about it for the highlights. Another day in paradise...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Well, Terese,

She was considerably late for dinner that day, so maybe that's where she was - the spa. I didn't see HRH so maybe he was taking care of the kids. : )

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH -- what an absolute sight that must have been... you walking thru your gardens with raccoon;s in tow.
and I can see Dennis as a lil puppy just following you around. Classic!!

too bad that outcast 'coon got bit by Heidi. Is there no way to hide some food back there for critters that are not allowed in Heidi-land? or would she sniff it out and confiscate it all?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

By the way, don't know if you heard but we did have a tornado yesterday. We have been incredibly lucky and didn't have anything like what other areas have seen. No deaths. Not sure about injuries, but it did do some damage. Turned airplanes over on top of each other at the airport. Authorities closed one major road entirely due to damage. I have a small tree down. That's the only damage I see, but strangely enough the tree that broke off about 1/2 way up the trunk was against the house, not more than 2ft away. The tree is not as tall as the roof, and is further sheltered by the master bedroom which extends farther back than the rest of the house, maybe 10-12ft. With the house on either side to protect the tree from wind, I'm at a loss to understand how the wind could have snapped the tree in half without touching anything else in the yard, but seems like that's what happened.

Luckily, tonight I saw all of our little buddies, well except for HRH and the kits that is; so they don't appear to have been harmed by the storm.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

wow... mother nature certainly can be unpredictable.... and scary at times.

glad to hear all the critters are fine.... and that you didn't sustain any major damage.

** just chuckling at the though of HRH as the babysitting Pooh Bear **

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

I don't know. That's a tough one. Heidi has to eat from the 1st dish poured. That appears to be a rule. If I fill a dish before she arrives it will become her dish. There is no way to hide food from raccoons. LOL. remember how Dennis knew the jar had pb in it? I did toss peanuts to that raccoon and 2 circus peanuts. Whenever I have something 'toss-able' I try to send some back to the fence when she's around. Heidi will usually allow her to eat if she stays back there at the fence, but sometimes that draws the other ones who have been completely evicted and are not allowed in the yard under any circumstances. When they try to come down the fence to get some of the food I toss back there Heidi gets very upset and starts chasing them. And remember, she isn't going to bring those babies here until she is certain of their safety. She doesn't like to have a crowd around her babies. Too many youngsters squabbling over food spells danger; I guess it would be like taking a human baby to some event where there are huge crowds including lots of gang activity. As soon as it gets rowdy, Heidi will take the kids home again.

So if we want to see those kids before they are in college, we can't be breaking Heidi's rules. ;-D

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

As for that weather thing, I'm not complaining. When I see what that same storm did elsewhere before it got here, I know that we were very lucky. The tree that fell didn't even hit anything, and I can replace a small tree. I just found it a little creepy realizing that some kind of strange wind phenomenon must have come really close to my house in order to snap that tree without damaging the house.

Awww. I bet Pooh-bear HRH makes a great baby sitter. I can just see him now sitting in his slumped position with babies all over and around him. LOL

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am so glad that you and the gang are OK! Is it possible that the wind "corkscrewed" the tree and took the top off? I remember being in my flower garden one day when a storm blew up. I was under a pretty unsubstantial trellis made from bending a cattle panel and thought I would move under a nicely shaped osage orange that would offer more cover. Strangest thing is that where the trellis was I hardly felt any wind at all and under the osage orange which was very nearby it felt like a wind tunnel. I could see the top of trees whipping in one area of the garden while the other seemed pretty still.

Where I live is part of what is called "tornado alley" so twisters are a pretty common occurance this time of year. I have been very fortunate in never having to run for cover but during this time of year I keep emergency supplies such as bottled water, people and pet food, meds, clothes and blankets where I can get them together in a hurry. We live in an area that is all hills and valleys and the house is in a very low lying area. I think that if we ever had a twister here it would hopefully "bounce" right over.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Scary! We lived in Kansas City, Kansas for a few years when I was a kid, and it seemed we were heading down to the basement once a week, with our dog, parakeet, and hamster during tornado season, lol. I don't miss that about the area! They sure had great steakhouses, though...

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Glad to hear the tornado bypassed you and the forest friends, Cheryl. The same weather system brought us a major windstorm that went on all last night and this morning. Lost electrical power (thank goodness for the generator), brought down lots of big branches, and the poor garden looks like it's had the heck beaten out of it, which it has. When I looked out at daybreak, all the trees and shrubs were being whipped around in a roughly circular way (probably what tetleytuna means by corkscrewing) at high speed; pretty freaky, and I felt bad for the plants and the wildlife. Not a thing I could do, however. Past storms like that have broken off the top 30 feet or more from some of our old pines; could certainly have snapped your small tree. Glad it didn't hit the house!

Terese, you're right about beets being good for us, and no doubt for omnivores like raccoons. It just annoys me that they use fillers like beet and corn in cat food; cats are obligate carnivores, and it's basically useless calories to them.

The outcast raccoon really sounds like Fraidy, both in her own behavior and in the others' reactions to her. Trouble has grown to look more like HRH as he's matured; guess she could too. Maybe just wishful thinking; she's such a miracle child, I'd love to think she's still around.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

tetleytuna,

Whatever happened to the tree happened when I was asleep; so I have no idea - thankfully.

Oh, I've heard about tornado alley. That sounds terrifying, and you folks in that part of the country sure have been getting hammered lately. My heart goes out to everyone out there. So glad to hear that you have escaped the 'action' so far; hope that luck continued to hold. Do you have a tornado shelter or basement? In this part of the country we can't have basements because we're at or slightly below sea level. But we rarely have tornadoes here, and when we do they are usually F1's, so nothing like what you have. The kinds of storms you have there are just unimaginable to me.

I did see a tornado once (our kind, probably F1). I was in my early 20's and was with a group of classmates on the 2nd floor of a school we were attending. We were in the break room between classes. As Charlestonians none of us were familiar with tornadoes besides what we had seen on tv. Someone looked out the window (the building had this huge series of windows on one side) and said "wow, look at all that stuff flying around in the air!"; so, naturally, we all ran over to the WINDOW to look out at this incredible event. We were talking about it, trying to make sense of it. I don't recall seeing a dark funnel like on tv, just stuff flying around in circles in the air - looked almost like birds, but as it came closer we could see that those birds were things that were supposed to be on the ground. About that time it passed a stop sign and that got scooped up into the air to join the other stuff going around. We were all still marveling at this awesome sight when someone noticed that the glass in the window was MOVING and screamed "OMG! It's a tornado, run!" Boy, were we stupid! We ran to the other side of the room - still facing the window and looking out! About that time all of the doors on the 1st floor flew open and debris came in. We ran to the windows on the other side of the building to watch the thing leave. On that side I saw this mattress just floating peacefully in the sky, and commented on it to which one of my friends pointed out "that's not a mattress it's the roof from that building over there!" LOL at how clueless we were to stand there at the window watching that thing.

When I mentioned that we had a small tornado Sunday, I wasn't complaining. It doesn't escape me in the least that we have been very lucky here so far. Most of those storms seem to come through here but so far have run out of steam by the time they do.

As for packing up to run for your lives and hide, we do a similar weekly drill here during hurricane season. We are lucky enough to have advanced warning for those, but it's something of a mixed blessing because the warnings cover a large territory, usually several states, and if you plan to leave you have to go early or risk spending the storm sitting in gridlock on the interstates. That means you board up your house, cover everything with plastic, pack your valuables in the car , drive through several states, miss a few days of work, and pay for a hotel only to come home to find that the hurricane went somewhere else (sometimes it goes to the very place you went to to avoid it. lol) After you do that drill a half dozen or so times in a few months, you decide to sit out the next one - and that's the one that hits you head on.

Hope you never get to see a tornado where you live, tt.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

ROTF at the mental image of you running down stairs with all that stuff in tow, a bird cage swinging from one hand. (Since we now know that nothing untoward happened to you.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

Glad to hear from you. I had heard on the news that NC got hit pretty hard. Didn't know what part or how close it may have been to you. Was thinking of you and wishing you well. Sorry to hear about your garden. Plants are amazingly resilient though. I'll bet they will all look undaunted in a week or so, at least I hope so. Although the tree was snapped off, nothing else in the garden was harmed. The tree did fall on some camellias, hydrangeas and a clematis but they will be fine. It wasn't a huge tree.

Now about those cats, I had a cat that would just go 'Diva' on me any time I cooked or even opened a can of asparagus. That cat just loved the stuff, ate it as though it were steak. I used to cook the part you snap off the ends (and normally throw away) for him because he loved it so much. I know asparagus is different from beets but still it's a veggie. At the time, wondering about the cats obsession with the stuff, I checked the nutrition facts and found that asparagus is relatively high in protein. Not sure what it was he really liked about it though, but he would come running from the other end of the house as soon as you broke out the green sprouts.

Widget also loves asparagus but he eats everything from broccoli to collard greens and grapefruit to pineapple.

I really hope that is Fraidy, too. On the rare occasion that she can get that far - like when Heidi isn't around - she comes over to eat beside me, which is also more like Fraidy. If it is Fraidy, she looks different from the others still, but now I think she is actually pretty. Her hair seems abnormally long now, a bit like that of a golden retriever.

Glad you didn't have substantial damage from the storms.

I hear you about the asparagus kitty, Cheryl. I've had cats develop obsessions with weird foods, too; one was a fiend for potato chips, and another was impossible to eat cereal around (but I think that was mainly the milk factor). It's fine if they like and choose to eat veggies, which certainly won't hurt them; I just think it stinks to have the food manufacturers bulk up their foods with things that aren't part of their natural diet. But then artificial coloring, flavoring, and preservatives aren't part of anyone's natural diet, and we all live on them by default....

I agree that most of the plants will recover in a couple days or so; just hurt to see them whipping around in the wind, and wonder what all the critters were doing for safe shelter. Glad to hear your tree was small, so the shrubs it dropped on have a good chance of recovering. Nature can be truly impressive; makes you wonder why we don't respect her more.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

We are on the north eastern tip of "tornado alley" though our particular town never gets hit.... i did hear though, back in the 20's our country club [yes we have one] got hit. All the other towns around us gets hit on occasion, small F1's or downdrafts where they sustain damage, but not us. Very strange... but i'll take it.

as a kid, we always did the tornado drills in school - so we are taught the basics... like don't stand in front of windows and watch it coming. LOL.

more south and SW of us has gotten hit, and hit hard. Plainfield - Aug of `90 .... quite a few deaths, then Utica a few years back... where many took shelter in what happened to be one of the oldest buildings, only to have it collapse on them. Very tragic. Think 10 or 11 perished in that.

So -- with this lil outcast being able to come up and eat next to, or near you .... it quite possibly could be Fraidy. That would be a nice thought that she's still hanging in there.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Sorry your tree broke, but glad it wasn't the one the coons all come and go out on. That would be a disaster for them.

Instead of saying here doggy.. doggy. You'll have to start saying here coony..coony. bet Dennis was hoping you had m&m's hiding in yoru pocket.

I wonder if that is fraid if you cna fill dishes for the others and then maybe casualy walk around to where fraidy hiding and pitch a handful of food back there while the others are busy and maybe occupied.

Poor thing, feel bad that fraidy or whoever it is, can't get food and treats too.

Lool.. If you had to run, you would have widget in one arm, cat food , peanuts, m and m's and evreythign else for the coons you could grab in yoru arms and see ya runnign back to get the eb eggs and stuffign them in all yoru pockets as ya grab the dog and run. hahahahah

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Guys,

Sometimes I think I must not be living right. Had a car accident on the way home from work today. For sure it could have been a lot worse, but - it was very unpleasant. I can still hear the sounds, smell the smells, feel the pain. I know it must have been over in seconds but they were some of the longest seconds of my entire life. Young guy in a sports car smashed in to me - twice. When he 1st hit me he sent me hurdling into another car, then a fraction of a second later when I thought it was over he smashed into me again even harder, smashing me between the two cars. Even as it was happening, and I swear it seemed to take forever to end, I was thinking how long it took me to get over the pain from the last accident (not my fault either), how I'd only recently been able to get around without a lot of back pain - and how when the cars finally came to rest I'd surely have to start the whole process over again.

My back, hip, neck, and shoulder hurt already, and I feel like crying, but I know I have to find the strength to go through this all over again, the months of physical therapy, even more time off from work when I already don't have enough time to get things done. The car is smashed up pretty bad, probably need another one. Don't care about the car so much as the time required to find another one. Don't care about money. Don't care about the car. Just don't want to spend months and months in pain, unable to work in the garden, unable to get things done around the house, unable even to sit through a day at work without the kind of constant pain that really wears on you over time. But I know it's coming. I can feel it already, and I know it will be much worse once the adrenalin wears off.

Sorry to be such a downer today. I know you come here for a heartwarming story and happy thoughts. And there is a happy story. I may be in pain, but at least I'm alive and not in a truama unit somewhere - yet. After hearing all that metal clang and scrape, thud and crunch for what seemed an eternity, that's nothing to take lightly.

Lyndonville, NY

((((Cheryl)))) I am so sorry you went through this. Did you go to the hospital to get checked out? Did either of the others get hurt?

Cars can be fixed or replaced....you can't. I would take some advil or something similar....soak in a very warm tub or jacuzzi if you have one...and just let your muscles relax for a bit.

Many hugs, keeping you in my prayers
Debbie

Oh, no, omg, I am so sorry for you! Yes, very happy that you are not critically injured, but sad that you have to endure pain and discomfort, esp. during planting season. So frustrating! I will pray for you, dear.

Edit: Did you get a police report?

This message was edited May 14, 2008 8:34 PM

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh Cheryl! I am sending you a nice warm cyber blanket. It seems like you were just starting to feel good again and then this happens. Is there anything we can do??

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Debbie,

Thanks. The hugs help. : )
I didn't go to the hospital. At least not yet. I know this sounds crazy, but I feel to bad to go. I thought about it, but am not a trauma case. I knew I should have gone but I just wanted to go home and lie down so bad. It's all I could think about. As far as I can tell, I don't think anything is hurt on the inside. I was wearing my seat belt, thankfully. Air bag deployed and cut/burned my neck and chest (I'm short so it hit me pretty high up and knocked the wind out of me) The base of my neck (back) feels hot and hurts, along with my left shoulder blade, left arm, shoulder area, but the real misery is in my hip and lower back. I'm so afraid that will be a long term problem. Just don't want to be laid up again for a long time. That really got depressing before when I was unable to do things for so long and had to fight pain all day every day. I'm just so hoping not to have to go through that again.

The lady I hit - the lady he pushed me into - was hurt although they didn't think it was life threatening. The guy who hit me seemed ok at the time, but sometimes it is hard to tell on the scene because everyone is pumped up on adrenalin and other natural steroids and such. He didn't appear to have any obvious injuries. Even though I hit her, the policeman ticketed him, and agreed that it was not my fault. I was thrown into her when he slammed into me. He hit me hard.

You know what was 'crazy'. The metal mounting 'box' that was in the dash and around my dvd player flew out of the dash and landed on the passenger seat, but the dvd player stayed in the dash. Can you believe that? Such strange things happen with the forces involved in car crashes. No, I'm not concerned about the car. I have an old car anyhow. Most people would tell you I needed to get another one anyhow, but I figured as long as this one was working fine why bother. One reason I'm not so eager to have a shiny new car is the old one gets me around just fine and I don't have to worry about scratches and dings - or large dents.

I'm all about pampering myself, so when shopping for a house I put as much emphasis on having a spacious and inviting master bath as on the living area. I have a very large, deep tub with jacuzzi jets. Maybe in a little while I will go and get in there. Thinking about taking a Mike's Hard Lemonade with me. I almost never drink alcohol, and have only recently learned to sip 1/3 of a Mike's or a little red wine on rare occasion. I've never cared for the stuff, but keep reading about the health benefits of small amounts. Right now I think I could use the pain relieving and relaxing effects. (Don't worry, I'm the type who opens a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, drinks 2 oz and then the rest turns to vinegar and has to be tossed out or, if I'm smart enough to catch it early enough, used in cooking.)

The guy who hit me was the Doogey Houser age. Poor guy. He just kept asking if I was ok and saying how sorry he was. I kept trying to tell him not to worry about it, stuff happens. That it could have happened to any of us. Not to beat himself up over it.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

So sorry to hear you are having pain. I sure hope it turns out to be a very short term problem.

Laura

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

Thank you. Yes, we did get a police report. The guy was ticketed for several things including speeding and reckless driving. The officer said that my insurance company would see from the report that I was at the mercy of the guy who lost control of his vehicle and slammed into me pushing me into the other car. Sure hope so. I've been with the same company and agent for ever and haven't had so much as a speeding ticket. My other accident some 2.5 to 3 years ago was also not my fault. I was driving home from work (leaving work seems to be hazardous to my health) that time, too. That one happened at night. I had worked late that night and was on the way home when a woman who was totally drugged out of her mind ran into the back of me. I didn't stop suddenly or anything like that. I had been travel ling 45mph, the speed limit, and had just veered off the road onto an access lane approaching the interstate when I had to stop to yield the right of way to a line of traffic that was also approaching the access lane and which had the right of way. She just plowed right into me without ever even hitting the brake. Then she backed up and drove around me and took off. I wasn't about to let her get away with that so I took off after her, chased her down, and got her license plate info and car make, color, etc. Adrenalin is a wonderful drug. I was in a lot of pain later that night but didn't feel a thing immediately after the accident so I was able to chase her down.

You know, the guy that was here the other day - the one I had lunch and dinner with - lives in MD, Annapolis I think, has an office in DC and an office in Alexandria, VA, and drives around that area (I've ridden with him) like a pro, even makes it look easy. On the way here from the airport the other day they saw a really bad crash and were talking about it. He made a comment that stuck with me. He said that of all the places he'd been, he had consistently seen the worst accidents here. Not that we had the most accidents, but the worst accidents. I have frequently heard people who come here from elsewhere cursing about how badly we drive here, but hadn't taken it too seriously. Something about the way he phrased it made me think maybe we do have a lot of bad drivers here.

Thanks for being there.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, tetleytuna,

You guys help so much just by being there and by listening. I think I feel comforted already.
I'm lying on my side in the bed with the laptop on the bed beside me. Took 3 naproxen sodium (Aleve). Lying on the side that doesn't hurt. Lying very still. Don't feel so bad right now. Fingers crossed.

Want to hear something else silly. After the accident was over and I was waiting for the officer to finish his thing, I was thinking "I have to get home. Who's going to feed the raccoons?" There I was sitting on the side of the road with parts of my car dragging on the ground and my back and neck hurting and thinking that I'd be late to feed Heidi. I think maybe 'worrying' about others, like in this case Heidi, is something of a beneficial distraction to keep us from focusing too much on the real problem(s).

I did feed them when I got home. Didn't stay out there with them but did go ahead and take the food out. Figured I would do that while I still had the benefit of those natural pain killers cruising around my blood stream.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Laura,

Lately, it just seems like I can't catch a break with the sickness thing. I sure don't want to be laid up again. I was SO enjoying the freedom of being able to get out and do things again. I'm going to think very positive right now about not being seriously injured. Maybe if we all think positive, maybe.

After that last accident the swelling around the injured area caused pressure on the sciatic nerve. The pain was maddening. For months I couldn't sleep even with strong pain meds. Had months of PT. Eventually had to go on steroids (prednisone) for a period of time to reduce the inflammation and get any kind of relief. A recent MRI showed that I have some degeneration of the discs in that area of my back as a result of that injury. That's why I'm so afraid that this will get the area swollen and 'mad' all over again.

But must think positive thoughts. Thanks for the kind words and support.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Bless your heart! I am sending strong positive thoughts to you! and I am sending all my love and comfort I can think of too.

Susan
=^..^=

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH Cheryl !! how horrid. I'm so glad you were not really injured in the accident.
Enjoy your "whirly" and Mike's and rest up. I certainly hope/pray anything is serious.

I dont know what else to say but obviously take care of yourself, even if that means the hosp, which everyone hates.

If i lived closer, I'd come over and garden for you, and feed the coons. Even though i know they wouldnt come around with out you... they'd still get goodies.

Not to make light... but now you can get a car with the touch-pad lock, so you dont lock your keys in the car anymore.
unless you put your purse in teh truck and close the lid. [i did that not once, but twice]

you will be in my T's & P's

**gentle hugs**

Terese

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

So sorry to hear about your accident!! Okay, I am puttin' on my 'mom hat' here...it would be very smart and practical for you to get checked out by a Dr., and we know you are a smart & practical person. So no arguing!!

Okay 'mom hat' is off. Take it easy.

what she said ↑

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh my stars!!!!!!!!!!!! So sorry to here ya had an accident and so glad ya alive and well even if ya are hurt.

You do need to go to the docs and the hospital and get checked out. Either go tonight or go in the morning. Even though the air bags deployed, they cna cause alot of damge and especially if your aa short person.

Please, pelase, I ask that you go and get checke dout and exrayed. Also you gonan need to go, becaus e if you have problems that may not show up for weeks or moths, if you don't go to hospital now his insurance won't pay for it.

I did like you last time woman on cell phone slammed into the back of me and sent me into widshield and out so far into main road almost had semi run over me. I didn't go to hospitla and now i payign for it. Got a busted disk in my back and no insurance so i suffer. Just cuz i didn't want to go to hospital and was tryign to be nice.

Listen to all of us pelase and go. You need to go for yoru health and also for the coons sake too. They need a mommy to be able to move around again.

I hope we dont see ya tomorrow posting til after ya been to hospital. hint.. hint... You take care of yoruself and wil pray the pain and damage wil be minimal and a uick healing in the works.

Oh, Cheryl, I'm so very sorry to hear about your accident. Having been in an accident some years ago, I know exactly what you mean about those few seconds before impact lasting a lifetime. You see it coming, you do everything you can and it doesn't help, and then that last second lasts forever. I echo everyone's thoughts that you do need to be checked out promptly; if nothing else, any injuries need to be documented by your insurance company and that of the idiot who hit you. I'm sending buckets of positive thoughts your way, hoping your injuries won't be as painful and long-lasting as you fear. Please take the best care of yourself, and hang in there-
Ruth

Prayers being sent for you from Kentucky. And don't worry about not posting, just take care of yourself--after all, we have a ton of pics and videos to keep us amused! Did I mention that it makes me laugh every time I open this thread, read, "...almost the end", and there is Dennis' "end" right there? LOL, very clever!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, Cheryl... I'm so sorry!! I hope you went to the hospital today, if you didn't last night. It really IS important! I'm praying for you, too!!

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Though I don't post, I still faithfully read every day! And I have to add my two cents, Cheryl. I know you're hurting & exhausted but I can't help but think that you may be posting so we'll encourage/brow beat (LOL!) you to take care of yourself, because you know that's what you should do, even if you don't feel like it. So, get thee to the doctor, so you can get some pain relief & (hopefully) nip any inflammation & problems in the bud! I'm so sorry you're going through this again... sending lots of warm hugs & cyber energy!!

This message was edited May 15, 2008 3:31 PM

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Let me add to the nags......you need to go, kiddo. For one thing they need to make sure you are ok, and can use comparison with what happened in this accident to what happened in the last one. Hopefully, they'll be able to take that info and work up a treatment plan that's not so stressful for you. Just glad your ok, know you hurt, but the alternative really sucks.........LOL

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I hope you went to the hospital today. I hope that they giving you pain meds and I hope that you are finding a measure of relief.

I hope that you not just being a lurker on yoru own thread. LOL Be like you to try and post for us. You takle care of you. we can keep ourselves plenty interatined while you heal.

I know the second and third day are the worst for air bags and with you being tiny, hopefully nothing broken.

Got nasty rain storms here and more to come, so wil chekc back in after the storms over.

here, I leave ya for today of a pic of one of my critters that decided to chekc out the friend that came to visit me.

Thumbnail by starlight1153

LOL, cute li'l anole--he shows up great on that pink hat! Did your friend know he was there as you took the pic? I used to catch those as a kid when I lived in New Orleans.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.